Author Topic: Test-Drive: 2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI  (Read 23496 times)

rovermark

Re: Test-Drive: 2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2011, 01:45:51 pm »
[
I've often wondered, given the unsophisticated NA auto consumer, why someone hasn't taken a shot at updating styling and features...but just keep using an old platform and sell it for little money.  I dunno...maybe the last gen Focus was a good example...but the stlying was dated.

Because the old platform costs a lot to produce. What VW did is reduce the number of parts in the newer models to bring down the price. I don't have a reference for you, but Googling it shouldn't be difficult.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 03:16:23 pm »
I like the looks of the new car, but I find it a more compelling car with the 2.5L engine. Not as anemic as the base model, not as expensive as the diesel, and still with reasonable gas mileage. A well-equipped Sportline 2.5L can be had for under $24K, which has the leatherette interior, sunroof, sport seats/suspension and 17" alloys. That's the one to get, IMO.

I wish we got the Polo diesel here in NA. If mileage were really king, this little tidbit would top the charts.

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Nissan Sentra (AKA The Toaster)
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2011, 03:27:17 pm »

So this for 25K

or
This for nearly 27 K?

Yes not only is the Golf interior much better looking but you can get into the TDI at a price point more than 2k less. But hey if you have to have a trunk  :P

You are not comparing the same trim levels.  Golf is more expensive than the Jetta all accross the range.  But IMO well worth the extra money for the nicer interior. 

Only way I'd get into one of these is the TDI.  Sometimes its not all about calculating how much money you need to save on gas to pay off the extra cost.  TDI is a way different driving experience than the 2.0 and 2.5 gassers. 

GLI will have the GTI like interior and will be a bargain in the Canadian market.  Only the Si civic will be cheaper in this segment. 

I think you are niosunderstanding.

The Jetta TDI only comes in the higher trim level. You can get a Golf TDI in a lower trim level than a jetta for less money..BUT even though the Jetta TDI only comes in the HIGHEST trim level the interior still is far inferior in looks and materials to the cheaper Golf TDI

We are talking only about TDI here.

To get a Jetta TDI you are forced to pay MORE money and have a worse interior and a worse suspension ..that's a terrible tradeoff IMO simply to have a trunk instead of a hatch

Offline kenm

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2011, 03:51:57 pm »
The Jetta TDI only comes in the higher trim level. You can get a Golf TDI in a lower trim level than a jetta for less money..BUT even though the Jetta TDI only comes in the HIGHEST trim level the interior still is far inferior in looks and materials to the cheaper Golf TDI

To get a Jetta TDI you are forced to pay MORE money and have a worse interior and a worse suspension ..that's a terrible tradeoff IMO simply to have a trunk instead of a hatch

The 4 trim levels for both Jetta and Golf are:
1. Trendline (Jetta also has Trendline+)
2. Comfortline
3. Sportline
4. Highline

According to Volkswagen Canada's website, TDI is available with either the Comfortline or Highline trim levels on Golf & Jetta.
Golf Comfortline TDI 6M base price is $25,275 before freight, pdi, and taxes.
Jetta Comfortline TDI 6M base price is $23,875 before freight, pdi, and taxes.

"I paid my four bits to see the high-diving act and I'm a-gonna see the high-diving act. "  Yosemite Sam

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2011, 04:05:13 pm »
With current interest rates being lower on the Golf, even though it has a higher MSRPn you might have a lower monthly payment.

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2011, 04:17:55 pm »

The 4 trim levels for both Jetta and Golf are:
1. Trendline (Jetta also has Trendline+)
2. Comfortline
3. Sportline
4. Highline

According to Volkswagen Canada's website, TDI is available with either the Comfortline or Highline trim levels on Golf & Jetta.
Golf Comfortline TDI 6M base price is $25,275 before freight, pdi, and taxes.
Jetta Comfortline TDI 6M base price is $23,875 before freight, pdi, and taxes.

My bad..when you try to do a build and price on a Jetta on anything but Highline you actually have to click on the little blue arrows to get it to scroll across to TDI. It LOOKS like there are only 3 options but in fact there are more.

Still think the Jetta interior looks like A__ even on the highest line models compared to the lower line Golfs. Golf has one of the nicest interiors in class .

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2011, 04:48:27 pm »
A well-equipped Sportline 2.5L can be had for under $24K, which has the leatherette interior, sunroof, sport seats/suspension and 17" alloys. That's the one to get, IMO.

There's a Tornado Red Sportline with tint in town and it looks really sharp. The red is only available on Sportline and GLI, was delayed, and I haven't seen many. Agree that's probably the trim to get, same as in a Golf 5dr but since I love the engine would want a Sportline TDI which is not offered. Sportline 2.5 is the best value in the range, aside from GLI IMO.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2011, 09:47:27 pm »
I think the one to get will be GLI.  $27.5K with kessy, auto climate, heated seats, GTI like interior, independed suspension, Turbo motor, 8.8L/100kms rating city, 6 highway. 

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2011, 09:51:07 pm »
I think the one to get will be GLI.  $27.5K with kessy, auto climate, heated seats, GTI like interior, independed suspension, Turbo motor, 8.8L/100kms rating city, 6 highway. 

Why not just buy a GTI?

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2011, 11:38:08 pm »
Sales numbers talk louder than written or spoken words. It therefore comes as little surprise that the new, watered-down, cheaper, less-advanced Jetta is selling better than ever before. I bet the watered-down Passat will be the same.

Wow, Americans are dumb car buyers, looking at just MSRP and EPA economy numbers (Wait, I knew that a long time ago.)

Thankfully a Golf shall remain a Golf.........I don't know what'll happen to the world the day VW of North America decides to water that car down in the future.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2011, 12:22:31 am »

Why not just buy a GTI?

Because you can't shut off stability control completely?   :stick:

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2011, 07:36:42 am »

Why not just buy a GTI?

Can you get a GTI for $27.5k?

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2011, 07:58:54 am »

Why not just buy a GTI?

No you cannot. The GTI comes standard with 18 inch wheels and tires while the GLI has 17s. The GTI has standard HID headlights which do not appear to be available on the GLI at all from the current info.

Based on past VW practices getting 18s for the GLI will likely be about $800 making

So yes if you are looking for the absolute cheapest way to get into a 2.0TSI with sport suspension the GLI would be it. If you want 18s too then the price is almost a wash but the GTI has a much better interior.

I myself don't want 18s. I don't like the look of the rims and I applaud VW for giving the GLI those nice 17 inch rims as the standard.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2011, 09:53:01 am »

Why not just buy a GTI?

No you cannot. The GTI comes standard with 18 inch wheels and tires while the GLI has 17s. The GTI has standard HID headlights which do not appear to be available on the GLI at all from the current info.

Based on past VW practices getting 18s for the GLI will likely be about $800 making

So yes if you are looking for the absolute cheapest way to get into a 2.0TSI with sport suspension the GLI would be it. If you want 18s too then the price is almost a wash but the GTI has a much better interior.

I myself don't want 18s. I don't like the look of the rims and I applaud VW for giving the GLI those nice 17 inch rims as the standard.

I wouldn't say GTI has a much better interior than GLI.  From all I've read and seen online they are very similar.  GLI interior is way nicer than standard Jetta's, no hard plastics etc.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 10:04:27 am by greengs »

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2011, 10:19:34 am »
Basically the forthcoming GLI Jetta will be more in line with what the Europeans get (independent rear suspension, nicer interior plastics). But still, I'd rather have the hatch Golf..

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2011, 10:51:25 am »
GTI comes standard with 17" rims. 18" is an option.

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2011, 12:16:22 pm »

the little touches and finishes aren't there like they used to be, and it's certainly not as stylish as most competitors. But it works, and I don't mind it.

I'd agree aquaman....it's not as bad as I expected when I saw it for myself at the autoshow.  This is the anti-auto-journalists car...worse in many ways, yet selling much better.

I've often wondered, given the unsophisticated NA auto consumer, why someone hasn't taken a shot at updating styling and features...but just keep using an old platform and sell it for little money.  I dunno...maybe the last gen Focus was a good example...but the stlying was dated.

This car is a good example of how that can work well.

Hmmmm.... VW did.
It was called the City Golf and City Jetta.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 12:45:07 pm by JSCC »
2011 MB C300 4Matic (Tenorite Grey)
2010 MB C300 4Matic (Iridium Silver)
2002 VW Jetta 1.8T GLS Sport Luxury Leather package

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2011, 12:44:40 pm »
And VW still sells these in China:

Jetta III as Jetta
Jetta IV as Bora
Jetta V as Sagitor
Same story with older Passats.

Blame the safety laws on mandatory airbags and traction control, for not allowing North America to continue to sell older models.

http://www.vw.com.cn/en/models.html

OMG! China gets Golf R AND Scirocco R!

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2011, 01:02:13 pm »
GTI comes standard with 17" rims. 18" is an option.

Sorry its the US that has discontinued the 17s on the GTI. I knew I read it was happening and assumed it was canada too but you are correct Canada 17 base 18 optional US 18s ONLY

Offline T.W

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2011, 01:21:43 am »
How sad it is to see what the Jetta has become, a cheapened shell of its former self just so it can take on the Corolla. :'(
Frankly I thought the marketing department at VW were on crack for unleashing such an abomination , but disturbingly enough it is selling well. Obviously dumbed down cars with a marquee name will sell.
What's telling about this is how it seems to illustrate the mindset of the average NA driver, and to say it's kind of depressing would be an understatement.