Author Topic: Test-Drive: 2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI  (Read 23486 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test-Drive: 2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
« on: August 17, 2011, 04:05:12 am »

Volkswagen's new Jetta has a fantastic diesel engine, but its cheap interior doesn't warrant the overall price, says Jil McIntosh.

Read More...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: Test-Drive: 2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 07:02:38 am »
Well I have to say that the new Jetta is a huge hit so far.  There definitely are a lot on the road.  The surprising thing to me is that there are actually quite a few with the base motor.  I actually wouldn't consider this vehicle without the TDI engine.  Both gas engines are not competitive and not something I would want in my vehicle.  As for the comments on how cheap the interior and ride is now I guess it's what had to be done in order to make it cheap enough for some buyers.  In the end if you want better driving dynamics and a higher quality interior then you should get the Golf.  My concern is if the upcoming new Passat will be cheaped down as much as this Jetta.  If so the only option is to get the CC.

Offline overtakeyouintheleftlane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2003 Pontiac Grand AM (sent for scrap), 2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon (sold) and a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2017 Hyundai Accent GL sedan
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 07:09:23 am »
Almost $3000 difference to get a TDI vs. gasoline. That buys a lot of gasoline...

Too bad there are hardly any diesels cars in Canada.

Offline northsparrow

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-27
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 07:12:21 am »
Great review, that's what I call a candid opinion.

As long as VW is the only player in the Diesel market they can make their cars out of
paper mache and they will still sell.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 07:49:45 am »
Let's see......cheap interior,mushy brakes, so-so handling and a 3-5K premium for the diesel. Not a car I'd consider. I spent a lot of time talking to a 25+ year VW salesman while I was car shopping recently and he was very disappointed with the new Jetta. (said it was selling but not to his traditional VW customers)
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 07:54:25 am »
I spent a lot of time talking to a 25+ year VW salesman while I was car shopping recently said it was selling but not to his traditional VW customers)

I'd say that is a good thing and exactly what VW North America is looking for "new to VW customers"

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 08:05:15 am »
Does the Golf VI still have the older, higher quality interior of the Jetta V? If so, why not skip this jetta and go for a Golf VI TDI?

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 08:05:33 am »
I spent a lot of time talking to a 25+ year VW salesman while I was car shopping recently said it was selling but not to his traditional VW customers)

I'd say that is a good thing and exactly what VW North America is looking for "new to VW customers"

Many in NA will be shopping on price and size and VW scores on these two counts. I have driven the TDi and it does go well and has lots of interior room. Ultimate handling and the best interior plastics might not matter to many consumers. I also like the simple but timeless lines. I believe VW might have a home run despite what Consumer reports say. Honda seem to have taken similar criticism re the Civic. It will be interesting to see in 2 years just how close to the mark these 2 companies were  http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/5209429763/

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 08:23:48 am »
Well I have to say that the new Jetta is a huge hit so far.  There definitely are a lot on the road.  The surprising thing to me is that there are actually quite a few with the base motor.  I actually wouldn't consider this vehicle without the TDI engine.  Both gas engines are not competitive and not something I would want in my vehicle.  As for the comments on how cheap the interior and ride is now I guess it's what had to be done in order to make it cheap enough for some buyers.  In the end if you want better driving dynamics and a higher quality interior then you should get the Golf.  My concern is if the upcoming new Passat will be cheaped down as much as this Jetta.  If so the only option is to get the CC.

They are quite numerous here too, mostly the base model with the underpowered 2.0 L gas engine.  I have a '10 Golf with the 2.5 L engine and don't understand why so many are unimpressed with the engine.  It has plenty of power and tourque and is so quiet and smooth at idle, I often can't tell if the engine is running.  It's also good on gas, with slightly better mileage than my last car, an '08 2.4 litre Camry and more power to boot.  Perhaps it's just perception.  Have you ever driven one?

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Nissan Sentra (AKA The Toaster)
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 08:32:02 am »
Having been in both the interior of the Golf is so far ahead of the Jetta that I can only see "sedan" snobbery pushing people to pick the Jetta TDI over the Golf.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 09:07:04 am »
I think VW Canada would have been wise to option the real leather interior into their Highline press cars. Would think the impression of the interior would be somewhat better over the leatherette.

I personally think the interior is screwed together extremely well, but the little touches and finishes aren't there like they used to be, and it's certainly not as stylish as most competitors. But it works, and I don't mind it. The Jetta GLI's dash top is soft touch (but not the doors, as I hear!) and I'm interested in how the extra bits in that car are received.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 09:43:34 am »

the little touches and finishes aren't there like they used to be, and it's certainly not as stylish as most competitors. But it works, and I don't mind it.

I'd agree aquaman....it's not as bad as I expected when I saw it for myself at the autoshow.  This is the anti-auto-journalists car...worse in many ways, yet selling much better.

I've often wondered, given the unsophisticated NA auto consumer, why someone hasn't taken a shot at updating styling and features...but just keep using an old platform and sell it for little money.  I dunno...maybe the last gen Focus was a good example...but the stlying was dated.

This car is a good example of how that can work well.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 09:56:19 am »
Come on, guys - this jetta is erong business model in right direction. It's a car withoutcompetetive gas engines and available, overpriced diesel engine. But overall philosophy to reduce the costs and put the retail price in line with Civic/Corolla and so on makes sense. Well, cutting the VWs best - interior quality materials and fit and finish is suicide! Making Golf better built than Jetta is a disregard to north american customers (sorry fellow canadians, US is the driving market here). No wonder CR put this vehicle at the very bottom. The folk gona buy everything from Walmart as long it's cheaper but it never be creteria for quality!

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 10:02:34 am »
I keep thinking if they redesigned as they have with increased size and styling, but kept the same mechanical bits and interior perceived quality as the MkV they would have sold nearly as in Canada many without having to drop to the low base price they have. In the US VWoA claims transaction prices are higher for the new car, but I have a strong suspicion it's reversed in Canada big time. However with no 'City' models that large part of the Canadian compact market under $18K did need to be filled.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 10:20:17 am »
Making Golf better built than Jetta is a disregard to north american customers (sorry fellow canadians, US is the driving market here).
i have already stated this before...in the past, the Golf WAS the Premium car in every market EXCEPT North America...this recent change simply aligns their global platform...if you want the Premium Sedan, you get the Passat...the Jetta was always an "entry level sedan" in every market except here.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 10:25:23 am »

They are quite numerous here too, mostly the base model with the underpowered 2.0 L gas engine.  I have a '10 Golf with the 2.5 L engine and don't understand why so many are unimpressed with the engine.  It has plenty of power and tourque and is so quiet and smooth at idle, I often can't tell if the engine is running.  It's also good on gas, with slightly better mileage than my last car, an '08 2.4 litre Camry and more power to boot.  Perhaps it's just perception.  Have you ever driven one?

I'm not saying the 2.5 L isn't powerful enough (because is it competitive with others) but it does seem to be less fuel efficient than others.  The GDI engine that's in the Sonata/Optima come to mind.  It gets better fuel economy and more power.  Or you could look at direct competitors like the Focus, Civic, and Elantra, which all have more fuel efficient engines (even compared to the smaller 2.0L).  I have driven the 2.5L in a 2008 Rabbit and it was a decent engine.  By no means did it blow my mind or anything.  I really think the nicer engines are over in Europe for both the gas and diesel.  I think the upcoming GLI model will get better reviews because of the suspension is completely different, the engine is really good, and there are a few upgrades to the interior.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 10:25:46 am »
I keep thinking if they redesigned as they have with increased size and styling, but kept the same mechanical bits and interior perceived quality as the MkV they would have sold nearly as in Canada many without having to drop to the low base price they have. In the US VWoA claims transaction prices are higher for the new car, but I have a strong suspicion it's reversed in Canada big time. However with no 'City' models that large part of the Canadian compact market under $18K did need to be filled.

Well that's VERY interesting.  A low base price to bring them in the door?

I don't understand how the pricing of interior pieces works.  Feb '11 MotorTrend said the price difference in materials between the 911 and Corvette is $45...seems like a no brainer to spend the $45...but I'm missing something.

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Nissan Sentra (AKA The Toaster)
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 10:27:45 am »

So this for 25K

or
This for nearly 27 K?

Yes not only is the Golf interior much better looking but you can get into the TDI at a price point more than 2k less. But hey if you have to have a trunk  :P

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2011, 01:13:30 pm »

So this for 25K

or
This for nearly 27 K?

Yes not only is the Golf interior much better looking but you can get into the TDI at a price point more than 2k less. But hey if you have to have a trunk  :P

You are not comparing the same trim levels.  Golf is more expensive than the Jetta all accross the range.  But IMO well worth the extra money for the nicer interior. 

Only way I'd get into one of these is the TDI.  Sometimes its not all about calculating how much money you need to save on gas to pay off the extra cost.  TDI is a way different driving experience than the 2.0 and 2.5 gassers. 

GLI will have the GTI like interior and will be a bargain in the Canadian market.  Only the Si civic will be cheaper in this segment. 

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 01:21:09 pm »

I test drove a 2010 Golf five door and I found the engine was not up to the levels of the competition. The local VW dealer graciously lent me the car for the weekend (a must if they want my business) and I found the fuel economy on par with my TL but with something like 90 fewer horses. I would prefer the car with one of the European motors because the 2010 Golf 1.4 TSI rental I had last year while on holiday a much more satisfying drive. But that is just my opinion. The the car itself is really smashing, great space, driving position and interior.

This Jetta kind of makes me scratch my head. I haven't driven one but I think that $30,000 is a lot for this car.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.