Author Topic: 2012 Regal GS Priced  (Read 7866 times)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: 2012 Regal GS Priced
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2011, 10:07:47 am »
The Regal is way smaller than the TL... And I wouldn't be surprised to hear that even the TSX is bigger than the Regal. The Regal is a surprisingly really small car (despite being very heavy, but that's another story for another day).

It's small on the inside, but not small overall.  It's fractionally longer, taller and wider than my Sonata, which nobody would describe as a small car. The TL is about 4" longer than both (it still has a really big schnoz, even if said schnoz is considerably better looking for 2012) but the remaining dimensions are very close.  The TSX is about 3 1/2" shorter than either the Regal or Sonata.

Jaeger

It's strange how styling can affect perception. The Sonata looks deceptively larger - well longer, not necessarily taller - to me, but the specs don't lie.

It's a $42 car here. Only options in Canada are block heater, premium paint (low cost), polished alloys (low cost), NAVI (relatively low cost), and roof. Loaded you're at $45. Not much more than a loaded non-GS Turbo, although it could be argued both are overpriced.

Perhaps, but if that pricing proves out, the GS will certainly present as a heck of a bargain as compared with the loaded CXL Turbo.

And yes, styling can have a big impact on perception of size.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2011, 10:14:43 am »
The Regal is way smaller than the TL... And I wouldn't be surprised to hear that even the TSX is bigger than the Regal. The Regal is a surprisingly really small car (despite being very heavy, but that's another story for another day).

It's small on the inside, but not small overall.  It's fractionally longer, taller and wider than my Sonata, which nobody would describe as a small car. The TL is about 4" longer than both (it still has a really big schnoz, even if said schnoz is considerably better looking for 2012) but the remaining dimensions are very close.  The TSX is about 3 1/2" shorter than either the Regal or Sonata.

Jaeger

It's strange how styling can affect perception. The Sonata looks deceptively larger - well longer, not necessarily taller - to me, but the specs don't lie.

It's a $42 car here. Only options in Canada are block heater, premium paint (low cost), polished alloys (low cost), NAVI (relatively low cost), and roof. Loaded you're at $45. Not much more than a loaded non-GS Turbo, although it could be argued both are overpriced.

Perhaps, but if that pricing proves out, the GS will certainly present as a heck of a bargain as compared with the loaded CXL Turbo.

And yes, styling can have a big impact on perception of size.

Jaeger

I guess pricing wise it's the same as a loaded Passat CC 2.0T with Tech and R-Line packages, but $3,000 more than a TSX V6 with its more sedate appearance. At the same price with AWD it would have been a solid value, but luxury brand competitors with AWD at a comparable price point muddy things.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 10:16:34 am by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2011, 10:30:25 am »
I guess pricing wise it's the same as a loaded Passat CC 2.0T with Tech and R-Line packages, but $3,000 more than a TSX V6 with its more sedate appearance. At the same price with AWD it would have been a solid value, but luxury brand competitors with AWD at a comparable price point muddy things.

Bingo.

CatsEye68

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2011, 01:42:45 pm »
Yes, that's what I meant... the Regal is small on the inside.

Have you sat in one? It is not small at all on the inside. Don't believe everything the most vocal member of the peanut gallery preaches incessantly. Look like I might need to turn on the post count meter on again.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2011, 02:10:37 pm »

Have you sat in one? It is not small at all on the inside. Don't believe everything the most vocal member of the peanut gallery preaches incessantly. Look like I might need to turn on the post count meter on again.

It's bigger than a compact car, sure, but it's no where near as big as the bigger mid-size cars out there. Besides, I'm not making anything up, every single review I've read of the Buick comments on how it's small on the inside compared to how much metal it's actually made of.

CatsEye68

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2011, 02:53:13 pm »

It's bigger than a compact car, sure, but it's no where near as big as the bigger mid-size cars out there. Besides, I'm not making anything up, every single review I've read of the Buick comments on how it's small on the inside compared to how much metal it's actually made of.

Which does not mean it's objectively "small on the inside". I am 6' tall and "sat behind myself" quite comfortably in the back seat.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 05:53:30 pm by CatsEye68 »

Offline dave

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +23/-116
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mercedes AMG E63s Wagon, 2021 VW Atlas R-Line
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2011, 02:55:43 pm »
6 inches?  How do you reach the pedals?

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2011, 02:59:59 pm »

Which does not mean it's objectively "small on the inside". I am 6" tall and "sat behind myself" quite comfortably in the back seat.

The Accord beats the Regal in pretty much all categories by at least an inch or two. Despite actually being wide than an Accord on the outside, the Regal actually has a lot less shoulder room than the Accord. Overall, the Regal is somewhere between a Civic and an Accord in terms of size. If it's categorized as a mid-size, it's definitely a small mid-size.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2011, 03:17:54 pm »

Which does not mean it's objectively "small on the inside". I am 6" tall and "sat behind myself" quite comfortably in the back seat.

The Accord beats the Regal in pretty much all categories by at least an inch or two. Despite actually being wide than an Accord on the outside, the Regal actually has a lot less shoulder room than the Accord. Overall, the Regal is somewhere between a Civic and an Accord in terms of size. If it's categorized as a mid-size, it's definitely a small mid-size.

Isn't the Accord rated a full size car?
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2011, 04:09:58 pm »

I found the Regal small-ish in backseat space as well, though I can't take credit for inventing the observation, even though some peeps want to hand that to me.  :)

As for the EPA calssification - isn't that based on interior volume versus exterior dimensions?  If the Accord is EPA full size, it may be precisely because it offers more interior space than the Regal.

Though please don't take me as claiming the Regal and Accor are competitors - some peeps are real touchy on that subject.

Jaeger

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2011, 04:46:17 pm »
I don't remember when I saw this latest Regal on the road last. Saw a few when they first came out but am really really NOT seeing them in Ottawa at all. Seen a couple of LaCross'es but no Regals. Saw 2 Focus Titanium's and 2 new Civic's on my commute this morning. No Regals  :think:

The upcoming Caddy ATS, OTOH, looks VERY interesting.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2011, 05:01:35 pm »
I don't remember when I saw this latest Regal on the road last. Saw a few when they first came out but am really really NOT seeing them in Ottawa at all. Seen a couple of LaCross'es but no Regals. Saw 2 Focus Titanium's and 2 new Civic's on my commute this morning. No Regals  :think:

I've seen a few around my small city, each one driven by a woman in her thirties.  I've always liked this car, and the GS will only improve on it. 

I don't care what its classed as.  If its big enough, buy it.  If not, buy something bigger.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2011, 05:22:33 pm »

I've seen a few in and around Oakville, though not as many as I would expect given how well we are told it is selling.  Mostly with - if not a senior - certainly a 50+ driver behind the wheel.  If I ever see a grey-haired dude rockin' a manual GS, I will definitley tip my hat.

Jaeger

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
Re:
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2011, 05:33:02 pm »
I saw one in Kelowna last month. I tried to race a turbo regal in Kelowna with the AWD MKS, she didn't bite.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2011, 07:24:08 pm »

I guess pricing wise it's the same as a loaded Passat CC 2.0T with Tech and R-Line packages, but $3,000 more than a TSX V6 with its more sedate appearance.

$45K...'dems a lot of bucks.  A Passat CC equipped as such would be hard to turn down...yet I haven't driven either car.  I sure did like the previous gen TSX though.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2011, 11:07:04 am »
I've seen a few in and around Oakville, though not as many as I would expect given how well we are told it is selling.  Mostly with - if not a senior - certainly a 50+ driver behind the wheel.  If I ever see a grey-haired dude rockin' a manual GS, I will definitley tip my hat.
Jaeger

Yey! Saw one this morning at 8:40am on 417 at Pinecrest exit. Looked over, and it was a nicely dressed dude in his 50's. Yet to see anyone younger driving one, though. For some reason, the Regal curvy lines don't do it for me, I much prefer the LaCrosse.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 Regal GS Priced - First Drive
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2011, 11:40:54 am »
And now here's InsideLine's First Drive.

http://www.insideline.com/buick/regal/2012/2012-buick-regal-gs-first-drive.html

There's no doubt that the GS rectifies many of the performance problems found in the standard Regal Turbo, and with its added power, stiffer suspension and manual gearbox, it will attract some enthusiasts back to Buick. But for the hard-core guys who bought up Grand Nationals back in the '80s it falls a little short.

The comments to the article are pretty interesting - the Sonata keeps getting raised as a competitor, and many people insist the FWD is a show-stopper.  I'd like to find an 04 TSX to drive back to back with this.  The GSis 500 lbs heaver...although it has almost TWICE the amount of torque.

christi379

xrfa rainbows end by vernor vinge ucxxb
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2011, 04:27:51 am »
Appreciate the info, it’s good to know.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2011, 09:45:35 am »
I heard Peter De Lorenzo talk about the pricing of this thing - pretty much everyone agrees it's pretty high given the history of the brand.

His view, and he was in auto marketing for a long time, was that you decide where you want to play, and price it there...the market will decide whether it's worth it or not.  Buick may also be setting the bar for the future as well.

Recall that poster in that abandoned BMW dealership on "Is a BMW worth the money?"  You will likely not see one of those at modern BMWs now!

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2011, 10:51:42 am »
I heard Peter De Lorenzo talk about the pricing of this thing - pretty much everyone agrees it's pretty high given the history of the brand.

His view, and he was in auto marketing for a long time, was that you decide where you want to play, and price it there...the market will decide whether it's worth it or not.  Buick may also be setting the bar for the future as well.

Recall that poster in that abandoned BMW dealership on "Is a BMW worth the money?"  You will likely not see one of those at modern BMWs now!

Not a price, or to be fair, not a type of car that the Buick brand has much history with. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out over time.