Author Topic: European Classic Car Meet  (Read 3490 times)

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
European Classic Car Meet
« on: August 04, 2011, 12:57:47 am »
I always try to attend the European Classic Car Meet put on by the Vintage Sports Car Club of Calgary in Stanley Park as there is often rare cars that I have no other chance to see. Held this year on July 16th car attendance looked to be a little down but there was as usual as a fantastic selection of cars. The highlights for this included this amazingly restored 1951 Siata Gran Sport. I’m definitely an obscure, small car guy and this one was perfect in every way.

The engine was missing before restoration a Fiat engine was used with all the Siata specific parts added like the intake.

Another car I’ve never had the privilege of seeing in the flesh is this 1967 Ghia 450 SS is a combination of Italian coachwork and American muscle. The American part is a 273cid Chrysler V-8, TorqueFlite three-speed automatic gearbox and a Mopar A-body (Plymouth Barracuda Formula S) chassis. The Italian is a Giorgetto Giugiaro designed Ghia body and interior. Only 52 were made. The owner just acquired this one and drove it back from California.

Another recent addition was this 1967 Bizzarrini GT America. It had just been trailer-ed up from California which explains the tape over the headlight covers. The owner plans to get it drivable and mechanically solid but not do a full restoration. Powered by a 327cid Chevrolet V8.

Another rarity on display was just a shell but nice to see such a rare car as this 1969 Iso Grifo 7 Litre. That is the body work man in the cowboy hat.

And now for something British. A 1961 Aston Martin DB4 in an unusual but nice colour.

From the parking area a brilliant Datsun 240Z in a great Seventies orange colour with slot mag wheels.

I’ve always loved Sevens and this Caterham was extremely nice.

There are many, many more wonderful cars in the full event photo gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveseven/sets/72157627258072446/

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
Re: European Classic Car Meet
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 01:29:55 am »
wuuuuuuuuuut~~!!!

there was a classic car event in calgary and i missed it!!!

gorgeous cars. 
i'm not up to par on older cars, but still love looking at them all the same.

thank you for sharing.  now i'll look up stanley park...  i didn't even know there was a stanley park in calgary.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 02:34:37 am »
It is near Chinook mall. The club website is http://www.vsccc.ca/ and it is a yearly event - well worth it. I have some southern Alberta events here - http://oldcarjunkie.wordpress.com/2011/06/24/car-events-in-southern-alberta-for-summer-2011/

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 03:39:47 pm »
Arthur, That particular 240z is quite rare - it was either a 1970 model or a Jan built 1971 unit. Those models had horizontal vents below the rear hatch glass instead of round vent behind the quarter windows. The other features of that year were that the gas cap cover had a little chrome 1/4 turn release and the headlight nacelles were actually made of fiberglass instead of steel. I know as I had a Jan 1971 model.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?