Author Topic: Kia to take on the Camaro/Mustang/Challenger  (Read 11446 times)

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
Kia to take on the Camaro/Mustang/Challenger
« on: July 06, 2011, 02:03:18 pm »
Word has it all of the inter-web that Kia will be bringing a V8 powered RWD car to the Frankfurt motor show this fall.  Hmmmm, could we have a $35K V8 coupe in Canada in a few years?

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/kia-plans-to-get-sporty/258080/

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: Kia to take on the Camaro/Mustang/Challenger
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 02:11:57 pm »
I'll be interested to see what they come up with.

Now cue the haters...

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 02:19:59 pm »
Cool. Can't wait to see where they go with it. Should look good too.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 02:30:08 pm »
Cool. Can't wait to see where they go with it. Should look good too.

Yeah, their hired Audi design guy (name slips me) should make a mean looking muscle car.  I know Kia stated they will develop a few concept cars to test the waters as to what to build.  But since a RWD V8 sedan is supposedly already slated for production, doesn't a V8 coupe make the most sense as next?

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 02:31:24 pm »
Yeah, their hired Audi design guy (name slips me) should make a mean looking muscle car.  I know Kia stated they will develop a few concept cars to test the waters as to what to build.  But since a RWD V8 sedan is supposedly already slated for production, doesn't a V8 coupe make the most sense as next?

If they make something A5-ish, in a RWD V8 Coupe, get the buckets ready for the drool.

Jaeger

CatsEye68

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 05:46:33 pm »
The Genesis coupe was supposed to slay the domestic ponycar dragon. Of course it failed miserably at that. This will do the same. It doesn't matter what it looks like or how well it performs. The people who buy the domestic ponycars are not the same people who will even look a, much less buy, a Korean ripoff of the same, and vice-versa. Apple pie and kimchi don't mix well.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 05:48:46 pm »
The Genesis coupe was supposed to slay the domestic ponycar dragon. Of course it failed miserably at that. This will do the same. It doesn't matter what it looks like or how well it performs. The people who buy the domestic ponycars are not the same people who will even look a, much less buy, a Korean ripoff of the same, and vice-versa. Apple pie and kimchi don't mix well.

I told you the haters would be along...

Jaeger

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 05:56:31 pm »
The Genesis coupe was supposed to slay the domestic ponycar dragon.

Without a V8?  That was never it's mission.  Ever.  It was meant to play in the same field as the performance RWD sports car segment...not the pony cars.  The magazines were the ones who decided to try and make a "pony car fighter" with comparos to the V6 ponycars (which the Genesis won I might add).  Now if they drop the 5.0R V8 into the Genesis Coupe, I'll change my mind.....

But the Genesis (like the G37, 370Z, etc) are not true pony car competitors, even though they may outhandle/outbrake them...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 06:13:45 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 06:11:09 pm »

Without a V8?  That was never it's mission.  Ever.  It was meant to play in the same field as the performance RWD sports car segment...not the pony cars.  The magazines were the ones who decided to try and make a comparo to the V6 ponycars (which the Genesis won I might add).  Now if they drop the 5.0R V8 into the Genesis Coupe, I'll change my mind.....

But the Genesis (like the G37, 370Z, etc) are not true pony car competitors, even though they may outhandle/outbrake them...

+1 with everything said.
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 06:31:49 pm »

Without a V8?  That was never it's mission.  Ever.  It was meant to play in the same field as the performance RWD sports car segment...not the pony cars.  The magazines were the ones who decided to try and make a "pony car fighter" with comparos to the V6 ponycars (which the Genesis won I might add).  Now if they drop the 5.0R V8 into the Genesis Coupe, I'll change my mind.....

Wasn't one of the first genesis ads a shot at the Mustang? The genesis burning rubber to create a big 50 on the ground? The pricing was right up against the V8's too. The turbo 4 was  meant to be up against the base models, the V6 against the 8's. They were power competitive with the Mustang when it came out.

So the Supra Turbo was not put up against the American V8's cause it was only a 6?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 06:34:47 pm »

Wasn't one of the first genesis ads a shot at the Mustang? The genesis burning rubber to create a big 50 on the ground? The pricing was right up against the V8's too. The turbo 4 was  meant to be up against the base models, the V6 against the 8's. They were power competitive with the Mustang when it came out.

So the Supra Turbo was not put up against the American V8's cause it was only a 6?

The Genesis took pot shots against the Mustang AFTER Ford refused to allow a magazine to do a direct comparo of the Genesis vs. Mustang.  As I said, some import RWD coupes offer similar performance, but they are not definitely NOT ponycars. In the same way that pony cars aren't really sports cars per se.  Although over the last couple of years, they sure do handle better than a pony car ever has!

And no, the Supra was not put up against American V8s, because at the time they were too damn slow.... :rofl2:

The only V8 they compared it to was the original ZR1 (it got owned by the Supra) and later the C5 Corvette (it got owned also).  Never against a pony car....And by the time some REALLY good V8s starting to come out, the Supra was not available here anymore.... :'(
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 06:43:12 pm by rrocket »

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 06:39:57 pm »

Without a V8?  That was never it's mission.  Ever.  It was meant to play in the same field as the performance RWD sports car segment...not the pony cars.  The magazines were the ones who decided to try and make a comparo to the V6 ponycars (which the Genesis won I might add).  Now if they drop the 5.0R V8 into the Genesis Coupe, I'll change my mind.....

+1 with everything said.

+2

Jaeger

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 06:45:58 pm »

The Genesis took pot shots against the Mustang AFTER Ford refused to allow a magazine to do a direct comparo of the Genesis vs. Mustang.  As I said, some import RWD coupes offer similar performance, but they are not definitely NOT ponycars. In the same way that pony cars aren't really sports cars per se.  Although over the last couple of years, they sure do handle better than a pony car ever has!

And no, the Supra was not put up against American V8s, because at the time they were too damn slow.... :rofl2:

The only V8 they compared it to was the original ZR1 (it got owned) and later the C5 Corvette (it got owned also).  Never against a pony car....And by the time some REALLY good V8s starting to come out, the Supra was not available here anymore.... :'(

So you dont think a car if similar performance and price will be compared to another of the same? The Genesis Coupe was actually very similar to the Mustang when it hit the market.

Sure some people only want the big torque experience of a Challenger or a Camaro. But I am sure a lot of people cross shopped with the Genesis. Have to be a moron not to.

Don't be such a Hyundai hater!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 06:52:57 pm »

Sure some people only want the big torque experience of a Challenger or a Camaro. But I am sure a lot of people cross shopped with the Genesis. Have to be a moron not to.

Yes, I think some cars compare closely to others and will be crossed shopped.  Heck, some sedans even compare favorably to coupes.  But that won't ever make a sedan a coupe.  Just like a Hyundai Genesis will never be thought of as a Pony Car...or pony car fighter.  I mean...no one who buys a Genesis will say "I just bought a pony car!!"   :rofl2:

And some might disagree...but I don't think the Charger is a pony car.....

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 07:15:57 pm »

Yes, I think some cars compare closely to others and will be crossed shopped.  Heck, some sedans even compare favorably to coupes.  But that won't ever make a sedan a coupe.  Just like a Hyundai Genesis will never be thought of as a Pony Car...or pony car fighter.  I mean...no one who buys a Genesis will say "I just bought a pony car!!"   :rofl2:

Entirely correct.  Again.

Jaeger

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 08:06:18 pm »

So the Kia is not a actually take on the Mustang and the Camaro then?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 08:08:05 pm »

If it has a competitive V8 and a chassis done right?  Maybe.  But I'll believe it when I see it....it's all vaporware at this point.  But even then....will anything but a domestic EVER be considered a "pony car"??

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 08:11:40 pm »

I think it might from a performance perspective, but I just can't see potential Mustang or Camaro buyers considering a Kia.  Heck, I can't even see Mustang and Camaro buyers cross shopping the two.  I could be entirely wrong, but that's my thoughts on it.  

CatsEye68

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 08:12:02 pm »

Revisionist history, my friend. I well remember reading comparo tests of the Hyundai vs the Mustang. And I also well remember the cheerleading section making the usual inane arguments about how only a fool would buy a Mustang when the Hyundai was so much better in every way. I fully expect this will play out the same way.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2011, 08:12:28 pm »
But even then....will anything but a domestic EVER be considered a "pony car"??

The true believers will say no.  Scream it, in fact.  I don't much care either way on the label - so long as they deliver a solid product.

Jaeger