Author Topic: "Lane cheaters"  (Read 2632 times)

Offline overtakeyouintheleftlane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2003 Pontiac Grand AM (sent for scrap), 2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon (sold) and a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2017 Hyundai Accent GL sedan
"Lane cheaters"
« on: May 10, 2011, 12:49:27 pm »
Something that ticks off most drivers on the highway.

http://www.wheels.ca/article/795510

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
Re: "Lane cheaters"
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 01:00:59 pm »
I just experienced the flip side to that:  the driver who won't cede space when I'm trying to merge.

I was merging legally and some guy in a pickup was barrelling along in the merge lane of the highway behind me.  Instead of slowing down or moving to the left lane, he came along side me and nearly forced me off the road.  Sgt. Burrows refers to the situation as follows:

There is also a duty on the driver being passed. If, while being overtaken, you choose to try to block the other driver, you could potentially be charged with “fail to assist in passing” under S. 148(7)HTA.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 01:28:37 pm »
There is also a duty on the driver being passed. If, while being overtaken, you choose to try to block the other driver, you could potentially be charged with “fail to assist in passing” under S. 148(7)HTA.

This doesn't make sense to me... I thought it was illegal to pass on the right.  So, if I fail to let one of these tools merge back in I could be charged with “fail to assist in passing”.  I guess the queue jumper's argument would be "nope officer, i wasn't passing in the merge lane.. i was just carefully accelerating up the on ramp and he wouldn't let me in..."

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 01:44:30 pm »
This used to happen constantly where the 416 merges with the 417 w/b here in Ottawa.  It's been a lot better since the highway was widened and barriers were added.  These people pi$$ed me off.  As long I was just in stop & go traffic (mostly stopped) I would glue myself to the back bumper of the car in front of me to prevent some idiot from cutting back in.  Back off or guard rail, take your pick pal!
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 03:48:38 pm »
I thought it was illegal to pass on the right.

It is in certain countries and doing so carries a very hefty fine.

Fortunately one doesn't have to because drivers know what the left lane is for.  ;)
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 03:59:59 pm »
As long I was just in stop & go traffic (mostly stopped) I would glue myself to the back bumper of the car in front of me to prevent some idiot from cutting back in.

How would you handle someone coming down the on-ramp who just entered the highway from a city street? The on-ramp is long. There is nothing saying they can't merge till the very end if the traffic is bumper to bumper. I've had some purposely close the gap where there was room to merge into the right lane...inbreds that they are.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-240
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 04:51:05 pm »
I always merge properly and let people in. Most times I will go over into the fast lane. I don't care if some cuts in around me either on/off ramp. It's only one more car in front in heavy traffic what does it matter anyways. If it makes him/her feel less hot and bother. I have no problem. Saves road rage. Best way to drive is laid back. Like you're in Caribbean...Really who cares....

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 01:01:43 am »
I thought it was illegal to pass on the right.

It is in certain countries and doing so carries a very hefty fine.

Fortunately one doesn't have to because drivers know what the left lane is for.  ;)

Yup, it is perfectly legal in Ontario

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 08:47:52 am »
As long I was just in stop & go traffic (mostly stopped) I would glue myself to the back bumper of the car in front of me to prevent some idiot from cutting back in.

How would you handle someone coming down the on-ramp who just entered the highway from a city street? The on-ramp is long. There is nothing saying they can't merge till the very end if the traffic is bumper to bumper. I've had some purposely close the gap where there was room to merge into the right lane...inbreds that they are.
If they're merging from a city street, I'm more than happy to leave room to let them in.  I would never do that to someone trying to legitimately merge onto a highway. 

The case I was talking about was on the left side of the highway.  I could see someone in my side mirror pull into the merge lane that's ending and zoom past everyone, then try to butt his way back into traffic.  Those are the people I wouldn't let back in.  Again, I only ever did it in stop & go traffic.  Gluing myself to someone's back bumper at speed, not a good idea!

vtecjustkickedinyo

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 06:16:53 pm »
if they do it then they do it, im not guna stop them really, dont wanna risk scratching my baby :D
im not an impatient driver so yeah

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 10:00:13 am »

This doesn't make sense to me... I thought it was illegal to pass on the right.  So, if I fail to let one of these tools merge back in I could be charged with “fail to assist in passing”.  I guess the queue jumper's argument would be "nope officer, i wasn't passing in the merge lane.. i was just carefully accelerating up the on ramp and he wouldn't let me in..."

No one is re-merging in the example I was quoting.  I was referring to people trying to merge properly from an on-ramp, only to find themselves blocked by some idiot who just refuses to let them in, even if they were ahead of the other car in the right lane to begin with.  See No H2O's post above for another description of the same thing.