Author Topic: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS Convertible; Day 1  (Read 21102 times)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
Re: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS Convertible; Day 1
« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2011, 07:50:11 pm »
The Camaro SS has 0-60mph times in the mid 4 seconds and a quarter mile times of low 13's. It might not feel fast but it sure puts down the numbers.

I don't doubt its numbers - they've been widely reported, I'm just surprised that a car with all that grunt doesn't make you feel it.  Numbers are great for bragging rights - but where's the fun in a performance road car if you're not feeling it?  I've read a lot of criticism of the first edition GT-R that despite its impressive numbers it didn't engage the driver on a visceral level.  I'm VERY surprised to be reading that about the Camaro - a car I would have thought would deliver visceral in spades.

Jaeger

A 2000 lb car with 200 HP feels much different then a 4000 lb car and 400 HP. Both cars may produce similar performance numbers but the execution is quite different.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2011, 10:40:16 pm »
Maybe they need to get some of that magic Hyundai high-strength pixie-dust steel. Either that, or just take some structure out of it. :o
while i know you are being factitious, they should use some high strength steel, or at least, more of it...of course, that would likely make this $50k Camaro more like $55k, which really isn't the direction the car needs to go...there is no reason why this car needs to weigh 400 pounds more than the Mustang...it should be about the same weight...and there is no reason why it can't have a better interior...the interior on the Cruze and Regal is far better, and those cars cost $15-20k less.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2011, 02:08:26 am »
Maybe they need to get some of that magic Hyundai high-strength pixie-dust steel. Either that, or just take some structure out of it. :o
while i know you are being factitious, they should use some high strength steel, or at least, more of it...of course, that would likely make this $50k Camaro more like $55k, which really isn't the direction the car needs to go...there is no reason why this car needs to weigh 400 pounds more than the Mustang...it should be about the same weight...and there is no reason why it can't have a better interior...the interior on the Cruze and Regal is far better, and those cars cost $15-20k less.

From what I remember the reason for the heaviness of the Camaro platform is it has to meet Australian safety standards. They are different enough from North American ones that making the car meet both added a lot of pork.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2011, 06:04:28 am »

From what I remember the reason for the heaviness of the Camaro platform is it has to meet Australian safety standards. They are different enough from North American ones that making the car meet both added a lot of pork.
That would suggest that the G8  which was a Holden design was heavy as well ?
I think we need a link to these Aussie standards and what is different from NA. 
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2011, 01:02:28 pm »
all cars sold here have to meet the same safety standards, so that "excuse" doesn't fly...the Mustang needs to meet the identical safety standards...as well, look at some high end premium super cars...many of them meet safety standards, but weigh 1000 pounds less (of course, that is much easier to achieve when cost isn't a factor)...i'm not saying the Camaro should weigh 3000 pounds, but it should be lighter than it is...that would help its handling and fuel economy.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2011, 02:39:29 pm »
all cars sold here have to meet the same safety standards, so that "excuse" doesn't fly...the Mustang needs to meet the identical safety standards...as well, look at some high end premium super cars...many of them meet safety standards, but weigh 1000 pounds less (of course, that is much easier to achieve when cost isn't a factor)...i'm not saying the Camaro should weigh 3000 pounds, but it should be lighter than it is...that would help its handling and fuel economy.

The Camaro's weight isn't out of bounds for cars of similar output and exterior dimensions:

Camaro SS:
Length: 190.4"
Width: 75.5"
Height: 54.8"
Weight: 3864lbs

Mustang GT:
Length: 188.1"
Width: 73.9"
Height: 55.8"
Weight: 3660lbs

BMW 650i:
Length: 190.2"
Width: 73.0"
Height: 54.1"
Weight: 3814lbs

MB E550:
Length: 185.0"
Width: 70.3"
Height: 54.8"
Weight: 3773lbs
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 02:42:54 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 01, 2011, 04:44:27 pm »
to be fair, none of those are super cars...even those models need to be built to a price (although, obviously the ceiling is much higher).