Author Topic: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS Convertible; Day 1  (Read 21098 times)

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
Re: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS Convertible; Day 1
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2011, 04:34:10 pm »
the Mustang GT with the 4.6L V8 finished in 1st place in the article i pointed out...if you guys feel like beating a dead horse, be my guest.

You're the one beating the dead horse. I said the Camaro won some comparison tests. You said it didn't. We all agree that the mustang did. Only difference was that you were wrong in your assertion that the Camaro didn't win tests. Then instead of manning up and admitting you made a mistake, you decide to call us "slappies", as if that somehow changes the fact that you were wrong. You then try to muddy the waters by listing test after test that had nothing to do with what was originally said.

Only thing both TG and I were saying  that there were people who tested both cars and preferred the Camaro. Neither one of us actually prefers it to the Mustang. I actually like the Challenger the most. But I am certainly not going to denigrate anyone who chooses this very good performing car over the others. All are awesome, inexpensive, performance cars.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2011, 04:37:41 pm »
the Mustang GT with the 4.6L V8 finished in 1st place in the article i pointed out...if you guys feel like beating a dead horse, be my guest.

Ah yes, well that's one!  Very good.  Carry-on.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2011, 04:40:43 pm »
Camaro vs. Mustang argument?  Really?  Wow, that's ORIGINAL.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2011, 05:38:19 pm »
i had read the articles i posted, so when i said the Mustang won the Pony Car Shootouts, that is the information i was going on...as well, there are numerous other articles that came to the same conclusion (which i posted links for as well)...i am not really sure why a few of you get your backs up regarding some criticism towards a car...jeez.

If anything has my back up, it's the "oh, let's just call them slappies and thus, all of their comments are discredited".  I've not taken a personal shot at you...and as Erik correctly states, I'm a Mustang guy!  Criticisms are viewpoints... and I'm fine with them...heck...that's what this whole place is about.  Just don't expect me anyone to sit there when something is said that I think is WAY off-base.

You initially said the Mustang was a superior car with the 4.6...Erik and I have demonstrated that's not the case.  All of your links except for the 1st Car and Driver are for the 2011 Mustang vs the 2010 Camaro.

Well my critical viewpoint on the interior has perceived me to be a "dashstroker" and not understanding what the definition of what a muscle car is.  That I completely disagree with.  But in any case in the end, the Camaro is one fine looking and performing car!   :thumbup:   :)
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

CatsEye68

« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2011, 05:50:58 pm »
If anything has my back up, it's the "oh, let's just call them slappies and thus, all of their comments are discredited".

He has learned his lessons well from his fellow Hyundau fanboy, who seems to get away with calling anyone who disagrees with him a "slappy", whatever that means. As near as I can tell it means daring to say something decent about a GM car.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2011, 06:09:22 pm »
You're the one beating the dead horse. I said the Camaro won some comparison tests. You said it didn't. We all agree that the mustang did. Only difference was that you were wrong in your assertion that the Camaro didn't win tests. Then instead of manning up and admitting you made a mistake, you decide to call us "slappies", as if that somehow changes the fact that you were wrong. You then try to muddy the waters by listing test after test that had nothing to do with what was originally said.

Only thing both TG and I were saying  that there were people who tested both cars and preferred the Camaro. Neither one of us actually prefers it to the Mustang. I actually like the Challenger the most. But I am certainly not going to denigrate anyone who chooses this very good performing car over the others. All are awesome, inexpensive, performance cars.
i simply said the Mustang won the comparison tests (the numerous ones i read)...TG said i lied, and posted an article from MT, one that i hadn't read...you then chimed in mentioning several other "websites", but provided no links...my original point was that the Mustang won the Pony Car Shooutout, which it did (from C&D)...i honestly don't know what you two are arguing with me about...it seems like you are trying to make something out of nothing...what i said is not incorrect...i posted several articles (about 5) that showed the Mustang as the winner in a variety of comparison tests (from Mustang vs Camaro, Mustang vs Camaro vs Challenger, V6 comparos) and in the ONLY article the Mustang finished second in (to the Camaro), it was a very tight finish (and let's remember, that was when the Mustang was giving up a lot of power to them, despite only being marginally behind it in performance numbers)...so yes, in that ONE article, the Camaro beat the Mustang, barely...but in the several articles i linked to, the Mustang won...my point stands.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2011, 07:06:38 pm »
i had read the articles i posted, so when i said the Mustang won the Pony Car Shootouts, that is the information i was going on...as well, there are numerous other articles that came to the same conclusion (which i posted links for as well)...i am not really sure why a few of you get your backs up regarding some criticism towards a car...jeez.

If anything has my back up, it's the "oh, let's just call them slappies and thus, all of their comments are discredited".  I've not taken a personal shot at you...and as Erik correctly states, I'm a Mustang guy!  Criticisms are viewpoints... and I'm fine with them...heck...that's what this whole place is about.  Just don't expect me anyone to sit there when something is said that I think is WAY off-base.

You initially said the Mustang was a superior car with the 4.6...Erik and I have demonstrated that's not the case.  All of your links except for the 1st Car and Driver are for the 2011 Mustang vs the 2010 Camaro.

Well my critical viewpoint on the interior has perceived me to be a "dashstroker" and not understanding what the definition of what a muscle car is.  That I completely disagree with.  But in any case in the end, the Camaro is one fine looking and performing car!   :thumbup:   :)

Nah. Just different priorities. Personally, I feel it is as cheap and chintzy as anything in the class. The gauges never bothered me, and I find the Mustangs "one squirt" black, coarse grained, door panels more offensive than the colourful plastic panels on the on the Camaro doors.

You are able, however, acknowledge the many positive qualities in the car, while pointing out what you don't like about it. Sounds fair to me. In my book, that's what car guys do.

Guys that get on my nerves are the ones who will trash anything from a brand over and over again, just cause they don't like it. Some have managed to fill up entire threads, like the Camaro one in years past, with nothing but their bleatings about how they don't like the interior.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12420
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2011, 08:03:38 pm »
Well my critical viewpoint on the interior has perceived me to be a "dashstroker" and not understanding what the definition of what a muscle car is.  That I completely disagree with. 

Didn't you get the memo? When he is doing the name-calling, it's okay.  ;)  And repetitive posts criticizing GM are objectionable, while repetitive posts defending / praising GM are perfectly fine no matter how dead the horse is.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2011, 08:09:19 pm »
Quote from: Camaro Day 3
Despite having 400hp, the 6.2-litre V8 doesn’t feel very fast. The large size of the vehicle and its rather high curb weight — 1,891 kg (4,168 lbs) — combine to mute the experience of big V8 power. The exhaust, although it sounds great at full boil, doesn’t offer up the visceral experience you may be looking for at more legal driving speeds.

The funny part of this vehicle is that, despite it not being the fastest, the most nimble, the best put-together or the cheapest, something excites you when you get in it; there is something special about this vehicle. Perhaps its exclusivity at the present time is part of it, or just the coolness factor that this car exudes in its body style — proving a car is much more than the sum of its parts.

Funny how the GM faithful are so busy venting their limitless supply of righteous indignation, they have completely ignored the Day 3 driving report.  ???

I found the above very interesting.  If there were two things I was SURE you could bank on it would have been a car that feels fast and provides a visceral driving experience.

Jaeger

vdk

« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2011, 08:26:48 pm »
Dude if I didn't know better I would say you're obsessed...  ::)

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2011, 08:34:34 pm »
I am doing a new car prep to a brand new Escalade tomorrow, and it's the same owner I detailed his SS Camaro last week.  In any case, he offered to let me take out the Camaro for a drive, and weather permitting, I am gonna take him on his offer.  Anyone think I'll notice the torque difference between the Camaro and my S2000??  LOL

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2011, 08:36:25 pm »

Oh great, another stalker.  Did you have something to contribute to the subject of the thread? Y'know, the Camaro - how it looks, how it drives, James' report?  Anything? No?  Not surprised. Like Greg, you're just here to take personal pot-shots, not talk about the car.  Now why don't yo go back to cruising the forums looking for anyone saying anything remotely negative about VW.

Jaeger
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 08:39:49 pm by Jaeger »

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2011, 08:42:48 pm »
The Camaro SS has 0-60mph times in the mid 4 seconds and a quarter mile times of low 13's. It might not feel fast but it sure puts down the numbers.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2011, 08:50:13 pm »
S2000 may feel faster ;).

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2011, 08:51:28 pm »
The Camaro SS has 0-60mph times in the mid 4 seconds and a quarter mile times of low 13's. It might not feel fast but it sure puts down the numbers.

I don't doubt its numbers - they've been widely reported, I'm just surprised that a car with all that grunt doesn't make you feel it.  Numbers are great for bragging rights - but where's the fun in a performance road car if you're not feeling it?  I've read a lot of criticism of the first edition GT-R that despite its impressive numbers it didn't engage the driver on a visceral level.  I'm VERY surprised to be reading that about the Camaro - a car I would have thought would deliver visceral in spades.

Jaeger
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 08:53:27 pm by Jaeger »

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #75 on: April 29, 2011, 08:58:56 pm »
S2000 may feel faster ;).

Interesting.......I guess I'll be able to comment more tomorrow!   ;D

As much as I dislike the interior of the Camaro, I am absolutely stoked about driving it tomorrow.  This car turns my crank in a number of ways......lets hope the driving experience doesn't disappoint. 

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2011, 09:03:53 pm »
The slp585 was a monster it delivered everything.  Perhaps I have been spoiled, but I expected more.  Manual would help though the autotrajic kills this thing

vdk

« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2011, 09:43:30 pm »

Oh great, another stalker.  Did you have something to contribute to the subject of the thread? Y'know, the Camaro - how it looks, how it drives, James' report?  Anything? No?  Not surprised. Like Greg, you're just here to take personal pot-shots, not talk about the car.  Now why don't yo go back to cruising the forums looking for anyone saying anything remotely negative about VW.

Jaeger

Just pokin' fun dude.. It's all good!

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2011, 11:37:58 am »
the Camaro is carrying almost 400 pounds more weight, so that is going to take a penalty on the driving experience...not saying it ruins it (for those sensitive to any criticisms), just saying, if they could find a way to shed that weight, it would likely help improve things.

CatsEye68

« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2011, 11:45:31 am »
Maybe they need to get some of that magic Hyundai high-strength pixie-dust steel. Either that, or just take some structure out of it. :o