Author Topic: Scion Dimension  (Read 21727 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: Scion Dimension
« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2011, 09:36:49 pm »
A BLAST TO DRIVE in other words imo , only MORE so . Perfect car for me .

@ $16K it might very well be a blast to drive.   The Scion @ 30K; I have my sincere doubts.  :-\

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2011, 10:10:14 pm »

@ $16K it might very well be a blast to drive.   The Scion @ 30K; I have my sincere doubts.  :-\

Who pissed in your corn flakes? Who exactly makes a $16K RWD sports coupe right now? Even Hyundai slashed their prices ONLY because they weren't selling the Genesis coupe. Plus, it will be of the vaunted Toyota quality that you have been preaching about in these parts for years. Yeah, I would like to see it at $25K also, but you gotta be a little bit realistic in pricing a niche product like this.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 25, 2011, 10:11:09 pm »
And what the heck is going on? Here I am, arguing against AS, in favour of Toyota!!! :)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #103 on: April 25, 2011, 10:12:09 pm »
And what the heck is going on? Here I am, arguing against AS, in favour of Toyota!!! :)

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 25, 2011, 10:36:22 pm »

Who pissed in your corn flakes? Who exactly makes a $16K RWD sports coupe right now? Even Hyundai slashed their prices ONLY because they weren't selling the Genesis coupe. Plus, it will be of the vaunted Toyota quality that you have been preaching about in these parts for years. Yeah, I would like to see it at $25K also, but you gotta be a little bit realistic in pricing a niche product like this.

He was referring to the $16K Mazda2 which someone said was "a blast to drive".  I don't think he was saying the Scion should be priced at $16K.

I too have my doubts.  For it to reach a good target weight, it would have to undercut the Scion TC by 300-400 pounds at least....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 25, 2011, 11:19:02 pm »

He was referring to the $16K Mazda2 which someone said was "a blast to drive".  I don't think he was saying the Scion should be priced at $16K.

I too have my doubts.  For it to reach a good target weight, it would have to undercut the Scion TC by 300-400 pounds at least....

Oops. I see what you mean now. Sorry Steve!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 25, 2011, 11:20:05 pm »

I do that sometimes too...because I'm too lazy to read every post.

Offline ajay

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +16/-34
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 25, 2011, 11:48:23 pm »
Rrocket , by making the 2 skyativ it will be lighter and more rigid, makes the car handle better . - the clutch & gear thing , the less body roll thing , lots of littlle things , sure f.e. was part of the goal but not at the detriment of zoom zoom , like Fords auto in the Fiesta is for example
 Both handling /fun to drive & f.e are all under one unbrella "skyactiv" to form a cohesive whole with no compromiises made ( for the  sake of f.e. for example )
So it will be a real fun car to drive when 2012 comes -  Scion as well - its excellent weight balance will make up for what ever it ends up weighing . Its like those well engineered Murphy beds that weigh 450 lbs that you can move up and down with just a finger (RESOURCE) -- because its perfectly balanced .

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 25, 2011, 11:54:29 pm »
Rrocket , by making the 2 skyativ it will be lighter and more rigid, makes the car handle better . - the clutch & gear thing , the less body roll thing , lots of littlle things , sure f.e. was part of the goal but not at the detriment of zoom zoom , like Fords auto in the Fiesta is for example
 Both handling /fun to drive & f.e are all under one unbrella "skyactiv" to form a cohesive whole with no compromiises made ( for the  sake of f.e. for example )
So it will be a real fun car to drive when 2012 comes -  Scion as well - its excellent weight balance will make up for what ever it ends up weighing . Its like those well engineered Murphy beds that weigh 450 lbs that you can move up and down with just a finger (RESOURCE) -- because its perfectly balanced .

At this point it's all speculation.  So I won't hold my breath. 

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #109 on: April 26, 2011, 12:05:32 am »
The 2 might compete with the Veloster, until the latter gets a turbo to go with its 1.6L thus making over 200hp and offering a choice of a manual or a 6spd DCT. But even with a NA engine it seems to be designed around the driver while the 2 around the price and then everything else.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline ajay

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 26, 2011, 12:15:13 am »
I think the Veloster will be a very good car , but it won't be as light as the Accent with the same engine though it will handle better than the Accent I expect . I was hot for the turbo for quite awhile , but that slight turbo lag put me a little off them, will test one for sure to see if the hesitation off the line bothers me .
Rrocket , I prefer to call it educated guesses instead of speculation .

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 26, 2011, 12:24:06 am »
I think the Veloster will be a very good car , but it won't be as light as the Accent with the same engine though it will handle better than the Accent I expect . I was hot for the turbo for quite awhile , but that slight turbo lag put me a little off them, will test one for sure to see if the hesitation off the line bothers me .
Rrocket , I prefer to call it educated guesses instead of speculation .

Whatever makes you feel warm and fuzzy.... :)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 12:27:27 am by rrocket »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #112 on: April 26, 2011, 01:20:10 am »

:)    :flowers:

IMO, there are many, many Toyota ppl (dealers and fanboys) that are very disappointed in 2 ways:

1. That this much anticipated vehicle is been badged a Scion which is frankly a wimpy brand.  Good vehicles, good value, but wimpy.

2.  That is doesn't carry the punch to make it a truly thrilling ride.  Punch being what you'd expect out of a stock WRX.

Furthermore, upon even more painful reflection, if Nissan can drop a 1.6 DI turbo @188hp and177 lbs/T @2000 rpm, into a JUKE, weighing 2900 lbs. with 6 speed/AC, Pwr W/D/remote/cruise, etc., for $19,998. CDN then really .... WTF is going on with this "Scion" @ $29K.   :banghead:

« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 01:37:31 am by articsteve »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #113 on: April 26, 2011, 01:45:58 am »

IMO, there are many, many Toyota ppl (dealers and fanboys) that are very disappointed in 2 ways:

1. That this much anticipated vehicle is been badged a Scion which is frankly a wimpy brand.  Good vehicles, good value, but wimpy.

2.  That is doesn't carry the punch to make it a truly thrilling ride.  Punch being what you'd expect out of a stock WRX.

Furthermore, upon even more painful reflection, if Nissan can drop a 1.6 DI turbo @188hp and177 lbs/T @2000 rpm, into a JUKE, weighing 2900 lbs. with 6 speed/AC, Pwr W/D/remote/cruise, etc., for $19,998. CDN then really .... WTF is going on with this "Scion" @ $29K.   :banghead:

On looks alone I'd gladly pay $40K not to look at that hideous Nissan face.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 26, 2011, 02:06:12 am »
In that case, thank the Lord for everything Hyundai!

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #115 on: April 26, 2011, 08:40:28 am »

On looks alone I'd gladly pay $40K not to look at that hideous Nissan face.

But of course, not everyone is as exceedingly wealthy as you Lord Turbo of Chester.   ;)
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #116 on: April 26, 2011, 08:48:22 am »

Agreed.  If Subaru can put the turbo boxer motor into the WRX for just over 30K (which is over priced in Canada of course) why can't Scion?  I would argue the WRX would have more 'real production' cost as it has the whole AWD assembly (extra diff/shafts/etc).

Offline ajay

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 26, 2011, 09:05:27 am »
Dan , quote
"The 2 might compete with the Veloster"
That could be the case ! Up until now I didn't think so at all -- Veloster will be a great sporty car - 2 different target groups ! - Mazda 2 is just a subcompact car ( that will be fun to drive ).

But I guess both will have a 1.6 d.i. motors and 6 speeds , and the new Mazda 2 is really swoopier from the concept drawing so it might very well go after Velosters sales as a direct competitor - after the young crowd too ! (Going more upscale this time around for 2012 )
Heres the artist sketch of the Mazda 2 (2012)-- so swoopy !

http://news.drive.com.au/photogallery/drive/2012-mazda2-concept-20100903-14tew.html

Turbo Bob, the turbo Subbie has reliability issues . I wonder if that would discourage Toyota from making one .

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 26, 2011, 12:21:56 pm »

.....if Nissan can drop a 1.6 DI turbo @188hp and177 lbs/T @2000 rpm, into a JUKE, weighing 2900 lbs. with 6 speed/AC, Pwr W/D/remote/cruise, etc., for $19,998. CDN then really .... WTF is going on with this "Scion" @ $29K.   :banghead:

May 2011 MotorTrendy states that Scion had the Cayman as it's handling benchmark...which would be sweet indeed.

The article points to the fact that the boxer motor is key to achieving the handling target.  Producer Manager Toshio Masuda stated - "There is no other (production) engine that sits so low in the body.  Maybe the engine position is similar to Ferrari."

Another neat detail...that low engine means the drive shaft won't be slanted as much as most other rear drive cars.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 26, 2011, 12:40:39 pm »

.....if Nissan can drop a 1.6 DI turbo @188hp and177 lbs/T @2000 rpm, into a JUKE, weighing 2900 lbs. with 6 speed/AC, Pwr W/D/remote/cruise, etc., for $19,998. CDN then really .... WTF is going on with this "Scion" @ $29K.   :banghead:

May 2011 MotorTrendy states that Scion had the Cayman as it's handling benchmark...which would be sweet indeed.

The article points to the fact that the boxer motor is key to achieving the handling target.  Producer Manager Toshio Masuda stated - "There is no other (production) engine that sits so low in the body.  Maybe the engine position is similar to Ferrari."

Another neat detail...that low engine means the drive shaft won't be slanted as much as most other rear drive cars.

I was coming here to post the exact same thing. lol