Author Topic: MIT Open Courseware  (Read 1455 times)

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
MIT Open Courseware
« on: March 22, 2011, 09:51:56 pm »
Curious if anyone here uses the MIT Open Courseware (or any school's) in their spare time. There's quite a decent selection of subjects, actually. Tonight I decided to brush up on my rusty first year linear algebra.

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-06-linear-algebra-spring-2010/video-lectures/

Odd mannerisms aside (he is a mathematician, after all), this guy is actually quite a good prof. I wonder if the average prof at Ivy Leagues are actually better than those at 2nd tier schools, even at the undergraduate level. There are times I regret going to the school I did when I had the chance to go better...I feel like I'd have learned more and would be smarter today because of it.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

vdk

Re: MIT Open Courseware
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 11:24:24 pm »
Funny stuff - I used their lectures for 2nd year linear algebra. Still trying to wrap my head around some notions presented in that course.

vdk

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 11:33:30 pm »
As for schools I don't know where you went but my experience with undergrad at UofT St. George is mixed. Some profs are REALLY good, and get you involved in class, others are terribly boring.

Personally, my marks in classes with a 'cool' exciting prof were much better than those where the prof put me to sleep.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 11:47:45 pm »
As for schools I don't know where you went but my experience with undergrad at UofT St. George is mixed. Some profs are REALLY good, and get you involved in class, others are terribly boring.

Personally, my marks in classes with a 'cool' exciting prof were much better than those where the prof put me to sleep.

Funny, my grades are a reflection of the profs too.  Don't know how I survived boundary value problems.  :)

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 09:09:16 am »

Funny, my grades are a reflection of the profs too.  Don't know how I survived boundary value problems.  :)

Frankly I believe that this whole discussion is asymptotic to the main issue and is a bunch of hyperbole and in danger of going off on a tangent.  It's a sine of the times.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 06:46:54 pm »
Funny stuff - I used their lectures for 2nd year linear algebra. Still trying to wrap my head around some notions presented in that course.

2nd year? Did you take pure math or comp sci?

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 07:12:38 pm »
My marks sucked at all classes, regardless of the prof. Did better at Open Text Book exams tho.

Don't think I can take any math courses ever again, 3 years of Calculus in University was more than enough. 

vdk

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 08:17:00 pm »
The course was pure math. Requisite for my program. Can't say I loved it very much.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 09:38:08 pm »
The course was pure math. Requisite for my program. Can't say I loved it very much.

Curious what program this was? I took EE and even we did not have to take algebra beyond the first year.

Calculus, now that was another matter....

vdk

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 11:22:54 pm »
Economics. It was the only course in linear atgebra, but for whatever reason it was a 2nd year course. I think 1st year calculus was a pre-requisite, maybe that's why.

Intermediate level Calculus was 1st and 2nd year. After that it's all economics in one form or another.   

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 08:22:14 am »
Strange. I fail to see how a course on Gauss Jordan elimination and the definition of n dimensional spaces is relevant for an economics major. ???

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 08:27:25 am »
 ::) well all our monies are going into a Black_Hole......reminds me of when Einstein's wife caught him in bed with another woman.....

he said............."I can explainEverything dear"...... :P...
Time is to stop everything happening at once

vdk

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 11:22:44 am »
Strange. I fail to see how a course on Gauss Jordan elimination and the definition of n dimensional spaces is relevant for an economics major. ???

Never used anything learned in that course, except for matrices.