Author Topic: Best car you have seen out and about?  (Read 9306 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Best car you have seen out and about?
« on: March 13, 2011, 11:55:31 pm »
Out of all the cars you have seen DRIVING (i.e. not parked up) which one would you most want to own?

Mine, a Tom Walkinshaw Racing Jaguar XJ220S I saw in Stoke one day.  Bright yellow, 680bhp, only about 5-8 made I think.  Amazing car, driving through the shittiest town in England.  I would kill for one of these cars, 0-60 in about 3.3 seconds.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
Re: Best car you have seen out and about?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 01:49:30 am »
No huge shock to those who know me, but I would want a late production, Aston Martin Vantage, preferably in the V580X specification, with the big bore upgrade. Not the fastest car ever made, but plenty fast (0-60 in the 4's, 100 in the 10's, and a top speed of about 175mph), decent handling and beautifully handcrafted.

Saw one in Newport Pagnell in Buckinghamshire, the home of Aston Martin (before its desecration by Ulrich Bez), and I absolutely loved it!

"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 02:08:23 am »
^Both of those are very cool.

I dunno which I'd call the best. I've seen a Ferrari California, Fiorano and Bentley GTC in the last year. There was an exotic car club out on a Sunday that I came across near Weyburn. They had a Lamborghini Diablo, Countach and a later one, either Murcielago or Gallardo IIRC amongst a couple of others.

I should add that I saw the Bentley on a frosty fall morning and the driver had the roof down, which I thought was pretty awesome. Of course maybe the electrics failed and he couldn't get it up, but I prefer to think it was by choice. ;D

The car that left the biggest impression on me growing up, was when I lived in Saint John in 1984-5. I was on the four lane heading into town, when I passed a fairly new  Pantera. I passed him as quick as the 4 banger Ranger I had would go, just to see if I could get him to respond. He did. He blew past me like I was standing still, and the sound from the 351 Cleveland was glorious.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 11:41:43 am by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 02:42:36 am »
Had a poster of the Countach on the wall in my teen years, it was theeeeee dream car for me. Seen a few of them around, even 1 in the small town where I live. Would love own a Countach, or any Lamborghini.

vdk

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 03:16:45 am »
The F50 was on my wall.

Listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsXTS0hDxjE#t=52s  :drool: :drool:

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 06:47:44 am »
Even though I still want the jag as my top choice, one other memorable trip was my first jaunt to Le Mans as a teenager. At a petrol station in France we caught up to a Lambo club, where there must have been about 8 Countach's all filling up and ready to go... Awesomeness. Plus on a later trip I was behind an EB110 on the highway!

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 07:47:37 am »
Best car is in the eye of the beholder.   I'd count:
Being blown into the weeds by a Mk1 R5 turbo ( the one with the rear engine) on a country road through the Flanders graveyards.
A Ford group B rally car with UK road plates, an  RS200 (??), parked outside a boulangerie in the Pays Basque.
A 246GT that would not accept a challenge to speed up a bit when I was driving my Elan all those years ago...I have lusted after a 246 ever since.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 08:25:14 am »
I saw a Bugatti in Etobicoke once driving out of a gas station (imagine that  :rofl2:)

The sound and sights of that thing were amazing  :o 

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 08:58:06 am »
Oldies for me:  A client of mine had both an original 427 Shelby Cobra and Ferrari 365 GTB.  Two of the most impressive cars of their era, and of all time.  (Yes, his favourite car movie was the original Gumball Rally...)

And yes, he drove both of them regularly.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 09:03:09 am by johngenx »

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 09:19:59 am »
Oldies for me:  A client of mine had both an original 427 Shelby Cobra and Ferrari 365 GTB.  Two of the most impressive cars of their era, and of all time.  (Yes, his favourite car movie was the original Gumball Rally...)

And yes, he drove both of them regularly.

Still one of the best car movies ever made. Still watch it very regularly. No beating that final race through the Los Angeles river! No one will ever drive a real Daytona and a real Cobra that hard again for a movie. You can even see the damage to the front end of the Cobra in some of those shots.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 10:58:38 am »
Out of all the cars you have seen DRIVING (i.e. not parked up) which one would you most want to own?

For fun:  a Baja Bug.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 03:14:16 pm by dr_spock »

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 11:10:20 am »
Street parked in November! 1931 Reo Royale Victoria Eight

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 11:16:51 am »
Lately: Porsche Carrera GT

About 10 years back: Porsche 959

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 11:34:00 am »
A few years back in Florida near my parents place.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 11:37:47 am »
I should say Ferrari 205 GT that I saw last summer while riding my bike home from work. Surprisingly, it didn't do anything to me. Ok, it made me turn my head, but that's all. I think I'm jaded.
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 03:00:09 pm »
..so far................Arthur's..Reo Royale wif cheese..Peaks MY interest..... :thumbup: :love:.................running boards and whitewalls out the wazoo...anyone have an Elliot Ness sub-machine gun for sale........... ;)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 03:02:04 pm by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 03:44:19 pm »
A couple years back, seeing my first Ford GT made my day.  Then I saw it go back in the opposite direction.  What a sound it made!

Red with white stripes.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Scarecrow

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +41/-17
  • Cars on the brain
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda6, Mazda MX-5 Miata (sold), Shelby 427S/C Cobra, Triumph Tiger 750
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 03:50:26 pm »
No one will ever drive a real Daytona and a real Cobra that hard again for a movie. You can even see the damage to the front end of the Cobra in some of those shots.

True enough.  These cars have become so über valuable since the mid-1970s that it would be crazy to subject them to this kind of abuse.  But it sure does help make this movie even more significant for capturing these wonderful automotive beasts in their natural setting: at speed.

Now the damage you see to the Cobra's nose was not caused from the car being driven in the L.A. river.  It was caused by the tow truck which hauled it off in the final scene, at the dock.  As you know, they don't necessarily film movie scenes in sequence which is why you see the Cobra's bloody nose on the L.A. highway several minutes before.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 04:07:01 pm by Scarecrow »
"Anyone who drives faster than you is a Maniac,
and anyone who drives slower is an Idiot." - George Carlin

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 03:57:45 pm »
Porsche Carrera GT. Was admiring a parked Ferrari F360 when the Porsche came along and parked in front - needless to say, the small crowd that had been gathered around the Ferrari quickly dispersed in favour of the Porche.

:drool:

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 04:11:40 pm »
Winnipeg is not a terribly affluent city, has longer than 'normal' winters, and poor road quality.  So unlike Vancouver or Toronto, exotic cars are few and far between. 

That being said, last summer I saw an orange Gallardo a few times at a stop light near my apartment.  The driver always drives off normally, then steps on it for a few seconds.  The noise that comes out of the back of that thing is heavenly.  A fellow with a new GT40 shows up to the local car shows sometimes.  I've seen him drive up and park - albeit at low speeds.  The best part is I then get to swarm over the car.  Look under the hood, etc.  That car is a work of art behind the firewall. 

This might not count, but I've seen an Aston Martin V9 Vantage parked on my street a couple of times.

And then there's the 911's.  Not really that exotic, but seeing a Turbo drive past was a highlight.

Oh ya, and when I was in Toronto on business, I saw and Audi R8 drive past going the other way.  I had to look quick, but I saw it.