Author Topic: Induction cooktop. Anyone use one? Better?  (Read 5896 times)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Induction cooktop. Anyone use one? Better?
« on: March 07, 2011, 11:03:17 am »
My 7 year old Kitchen Aid electric cooktop cracked and I need to replace quick to keep wifey happy. I am either going to go electric or induction (no gas, requires lots of piping). Is the induction typ worth the extra cost? Most of our pots/pans are magnetic so they will work. I will need to get a couple of fry pans, probably simple cast iron.

The first hurdle was cleared, induction cooktops require 40 amp service. My builder used 80 amp and 10 gauge wire. A little overkill but the only overbuilt in my house. ;D

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Re: Induction cooktop. Anyone use one? Better?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 11:14:08 am »
Had an induction stove in a condo we rented @ Deerhurst..........Faster
heat,but the price($$$$$) and associated hardware wouldn't make me go that route.......a decent Convection,flat top electric with all the bells and whistles would come in at $800 or so and cook 25% faster than yer olde (7 years!!! ours is coming on 20..electric coil)stove.....we are in the market for one.......saw a decent 5 Multi sized burner(one is a keep things warm area..useful for gravy & sauces etc...) Whirlpool on special @ Leons on my first look around.............Buy Hey it's your MONEY
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 11:29:09 am »
Had an induction stove in a condo we rented @ Deerhurst..........Faster
heat,but the price($$$$$) and associated hardware wouldn't make me go that route.......a decent Convection,flat top electric with all the bells and whistles would come in at $800 or so and cook 25% faster than yer olde (7 years!!! ours is coming on 20..electric coil)stove.....we are in the market for one.......saw a decent 5 Multi sized burner(one is a keep things warm area..useful for gravy & sauces etc...) Whirlpool on special @ Leons on my first look around.............Buy Hey it's your MONEY

Just a cooktop, not a range. Replacing a touch control Kitchen Aid. ($1500).  Induction on sale only $200-$300 more....

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 11:40:56 am »
I used my Dad's induction stove in his new place and was impressed.  It boiled water very quickly and gave great control over the heat.

The only issue that I saw is some pans will emit a buzzing noise when used on the higher settings.  This would drive me nuts.

I did some quick googling and apparently this can be common with certain cookware.  If possible I'd bring in a pan or two to see if they buzz. 
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 11:44:20 am »
$1,500 for a cook top, aka Hot Plate ;D...and $1.800 for an induction!!!!   Didya win LOTTO_MAX................Hell  Arthur Dent could buy 2 decent sets of wheels fer thAT........... :'( :'(.........

KIDS TODAY...................... ::) :P

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 11:52:14 am »
$1,500 for a cook top, aka Hot Plate ;D...and $1.800 for an induction!!!!   Didya win LOTTO_MAX................Hell  Arthur Dent could buy 2 decent sets of wheels fer thAT........... :'( :'(.........

KIDS TODAY...................... ::) :P

Doesn't make sense does it? A seperate cooktop and in wall range is at least double compared to a range. ???

Seperate cooktops are not cheap. :-[  The cheapest  are near $1000

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 11:58:05 am »
..TO ME....it is like the new mega Washer Dryer combos that are double the basic washer dryer stuff...............The Ad guys and Sales Dept are fooling folk into UP-spending for STYLE above SUBSTANCE....

hey I forgot this is a Car site.......same deal with them eh! but not quite DOUBLE the base price fer "OPTIONS".....Yet.....$100 Delivery fer a Microwave and i'm moving to Equador.......... ;)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 01:53:46 pm »
YES YES YES get induction!

Awesomeness, I want one but will wait till ours dies.  Its very efficient and more controllable than even gas.  Never heard the buzzing issue but whatever.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 02:08:24 pm »
Most of us don't have 2 Jobs and free Transpo dude........... :stick: wot size are your "early" adaptors enuf fer INDUCTION into the hall of shame....  :stick:...you do Know U have to re_purchase yer Pot !! and PANS.... :think: :light:

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 02:43:47 pm »
Ewww no way.  Gas is the only way to cook IMHO.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 03:34:20 pm »
I've always found it hard to simmer sauces slowly on a gas range.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 05:40:58 pm »
So induction cooktops require special pots?  I'd hate that, as I love my professional quality cookware more than any range!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 05:42:46 pm »
Ewww no way.  Gas is the only way to cook IMHO.

+1.  Gas, FTW...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 05:43:47 pm »
Nothing beats gas!
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 05:51:57 pm »
So induction cooktops require special pots?  I'd hate that, as I love my professional quality cookware more than any range!

They have to be magnetic. Most professional cookware will work outside of copper. Cast iron works as well as most stainless steel.

The notes on induction is that is faster than gas, less heating of the cooketop = safer, much more effiecient than normal coil or radiant, and much more precise temps for simmering etc.

Electric will be gone evntually.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2011, 06:05:41 pm »

They have to be magnetic. Most professional cookware will work outside of copper. Cast iron works as well as most stainless steel.

The notes on induction is that is faster than gas, less heating of the cooketop = safer, much more effiecient than normal coil or radiant, and much more precise temps for simmering etc.

Electric will be gone evntually.

I use induction heating here at work to faster cutters into holders.  Heats the stainless holder in about 5 seconds, insert cutter and it holds fast.  Watch out if you have a pacemaker, wearing a ring, or the heat of the pliers used for holding the tool....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuAU8kFfNoU

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2011, 06:06:10 pm »
I did have one salesman say that if you get a smooth glass top one, be careful with spilled sugar, it can apparently pit the cooktop.

We have gas burners, I like them.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2011, 06:14:27 pm »
Induction is the new thing, we'll look back on electric some day as very archaic.   I have gas now but seriously induction is so awesome.

Restaurants are using it now because it is faster and you can adjust the heat.  You don't need special pots, your post just must have enough ferris material in them to work.   Most pots you have will work.

Check out this link, it has some good pros / cons but all I see are pros.  Cost is basically the same as gas, but no running pipes and hookup charges.

http://theinductionsite.com/proandcon.shtml

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2011, 06:18:44 pm »
Induction is the new thing, we'll look back on electric some day as very archaic.   I have gas now but seriously induction is so awesome.

Restaurants are using it now because it is faster and you can adjust the heat.  You don't need special pots, your post just must have enough ferris material in them to work.   Most pots you have will work.

Check out this link, it has some good pros / cons but all I see are pros.  Cost is basically the same as gas, but no running pipes and hookup charges.

http://theinductionsite.com/proandcon.shtml

Taste might be big con, especially if you have a gas grill built into your range top.  I can imagine an induction grilled steak to taste the same as one done on the gas grill....

Plus, when the power goes out, all I need is a match to keep on cooking....

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2011, 06:20:59 pm »
You obviously cannot grill on an induction top, now your talking non-sense.

Yes when the power goes out you are screwed.  But my house has no gas line coming in, so there isn't much choice now is there?  ktm doesn't have a line, that's costly, more costly then heading to mcdees if the power goes out ;)