Author Topic: Test Drive: 2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Touring  (Read 8487 times)

Offline Nuttygent

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-20
  • Every man dies...but not every man lives
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Forte5 SX
Re: Test Drive: 2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Touring
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2011, 12:57:32 pm »
  Subaru best be careful with their slow adoption of technology and look over their shoulder...Hyundai/Kia are coming. New FB engine in just the Forester this year, no direct injection and a 4 speed auto! Sales are up, but you can just as easily lose market share in the next few years.

Offline Calbrez

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +2/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2011, 01:12:27 am »
A well focused review of a well focused vehicle. Canadians still like manual transmissions ( and wagons) so it's a pity so many other brands have dropped them from the North American market just because Americans don't know what's good for them.

Not that many Canadians.. manuals equal 10% of Cdn mkt at best... figures in the US aren't that much different.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2011, 01:14:43 am »
A well focused review of a well focused vehicle. Canadians still like manual transmissions ( and wagons) so it's a pity so many other brands have dropped them from the North American market just because Americans don't know what's good for them.

Not that many Canadians.. manuals equal 10% of Cdn mkt at best... figures in the US aren't that much different.

The last time I saw numbers, the Canadian percentage was about double that of the US. Not everyone drives in the GTA.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2011, 11:22:59 am »
So if I wanted to try one out, I'd have to drive to another Subaru dealership (250 km away) which may or may not have a MT Forester in stock.  Sure they would order one in for me - but only if I put a deposit down first. 

Gee, with that kind of earnest attempt to earn your business from the outset, I wonder how responsive they would be should you actually have a problem with the vehicle. 

A Honda dealership once told me that a Civic SI could not be test driven unless I first put in an offer conditional on a satisfactory test drive.  While I appreciate that that particular car might appeal to, shall we say, a demographic of destructive test drivers, lets get real here.  What fool would agree to such one sided terms?

I've worked at dealerships and understand why they come up with such rules on certain vehicles. Cars like the Civic SI attract a crowd of people who don't have a "pot to :censor: in" or any intention to purchase the car anytime soon. They just want to test drive all day long and get there pocket rocket thrills out. This is time consuming and expensive to a salesperson who makes little to nothing unless a car sells. I understand there is a fine line here. I've been on both sides and side on caution with cars like the Civic SI.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 02:36:36 pm by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2011, 12:27:19 pm »

A Honda dealership once told me that a Civic SI could not be test driven unless I first put in an offer conditional on a satisfactory test drive.  While I appreciate that that particular car might appeal to, shall we say, a demographic of destructive test drivers, lets get real here.  What fool would agree to such one sided terms?

I would/did b/c its one sided for the consumer. It's a subjective term that only you can say yay or nay too. Even if the drive was satisfactory all you have to say is that you were disappointed with the handling, or acceleration, or whatever and you walk away (don't forget to get your deposit back on your way out!).

It's effective b/c it offers zero risk to a real buyer but scares off those whom are not familiar 'conditions'.