Author Topic: Any Wrist Watch Advice?  (Read 5932 times)

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
Re: Any Wrist Watch Advice?
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2011, 09:23:16 pm »
maybe try amazon? Some items I noticed can be shipped to Canada and some cannot. You need an account on amazon to find out.

one of the examples:

http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-SNQ097-Perpetual-Calendar-Finish/dp/B002KFZO04/ref=sr_1_1?s=watches&ie=UTF8&qid=1299477197&sr=1-1

My husband bought his last automatic Seiko at amazon.ca for $270.  (that's right, the canadian site)

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2011, 09:29:19 pm »

No, he'll tell us it's NOT a hybrid, it's an extended range timepiece... :rofl2:

I guess there were no Hemi watches around at the time.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2011, 12:13:29 am »
maybe try amazon? Some items I noticed can be shipped to Canada and some cannot. You need an account on amazon to find out.

one of the examples:

http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-SNQ097-Perpetual-Calendar-Finish/dp/B002KFZO04/ref=sr_1_1?s=watches&ie=UTF8&qid=1299477197&sr=1-1

My husband bought his last automatic Seiko at amazon.ca for $270.  (that's right, the canadian site)

Thanks Julie. I had no idea they started selling more stuff on amazon.ca
How long until auto parts are there too?  :)

Here is an interesting (IMO) item:
http://www.amazon.ca/Pulsar-Black-Leather-Automatic-PS2002/dp/B002WN2I8A/ref=sr_1_151?s=watch&ie=UTF8&qid=1299561000&sr=1-151
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-167
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2011, 12:44:06 am »
A lot of these "non-media" items on both amazon.com and amazon.ca aren't actually sold by amazon. They are sold by affiliates who have "amazon stores" and use amazon to process the orders. That's one reason why some items at amazon.com might ship to Canada and some might not. It can depend on store policy. In fact many items on amazon.ca (such as watches) are really shipped from the U.S. by American companies.

When you order an item from amazon.ca (for example), look for this under the product description:

"Ships from and sold by Amazon.ca."

That means that amazon stocks it and is entirely responsible for the transaction. If you have any complaints, you take up the issue with amazon.

If it says:

"Ships from and sold by WatchZone."

It's not stocked by amazon. If there are customer service issue or a return is required, you must deal with Watchzone.

That doesn't necessarily mean it will be a problem. But amazon has a policy of bending over backwards do deal with customer service issues. If you have an issue with a U.S. seller affiliated with amazon, resolving problems may be more complicated.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2011, 12:49:20 am »
^^Who cares about all of that!!   ;D

Just tell us what you're buying!!  ;)
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2011, 01:09:51 am »
Well, remember that "I'M" not buying anything :).

I gave my mother a description and examples of what I'm looking for. It's pretty much what I stated earlier. I suggested a military/outdoor "style" of watch and I gave here some pictures of the Timex Expedition and Casio g-shock as ROUGH guidelines. I said I'd be happy with a simple analogue dial but bells and whistles are OK.

I told her to avoid things that were dressy or overly metallic...not that I dislike that but my Daytona is stainless steel with a steel bracelet so there is no sense in buying a cheap clone of what I already own.

But I also made it clear that she's free to ignore my suggestions and go her own way (I don't like to spoil birthday presents by giving a specific shopping list).

Unfortunately, my birthday isn't until June so don't expect news anytime soon!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2011, 01:14:51 am »

Oh, FFS.  We have to wait that long?  ;D

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2011, 08:05:06 am »
More like a moped than a hybrid, actually.... :)
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2011, 08:31:14 am »

Time flies like an arrow
  Fruit Flies like a banana...................... :P
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2011, 09:49:14 am »

My mother likes to get suggestions early.

She always tells me, "Remember, if I start shopping early, I'm likely to buy you more stuff".  :)

It's funny but I never lost my child like delight for Christmas and birthday presents! However, lest you think I'm a greedy S.O.B., my friends and family generally spend about half the national average on these things so it's not like I get a windfall...and my birthday is usually a low dollar event. If I get a pair of shoes, some books and a couple of Blu-rays, I'm a happy guy.

Oh...and CAKE!

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2011, 12:01:02 pm »
.I am e mailing this to yer MOM...........................have it and eat it....... ::) :P

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2011, 08:43:35 pm »

My mother likes to get suggestions early.

She always tells me, "Remember, if I start shopping early, I'm likely to buy you more stuff".  :)

It's funny but I never lost my child like delight for Christmas and birthday presents! However, lest you think I'm a greedy S.O.B., my friends and family generally spend about half the national average on these things so it's not like I get a windfall...and my birthday is usually a low dollar event. If I get a pair of shoes, some books and a couple of Blu-rays, I'm a happy guy.

Oh...and CAKE!

You must have happy childhood memories of your birthday, no matter what the cost value of your gifts were.  :)

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2011, 10:51:18 pm »

You must have happy childhood memories of your birthday, no matter what the cost value of your gifts were.  :)

Yes, I had the world's greatest parents (my father died almost 25 years ago).

My childhood was pretty much LEAVE IT TO BEAVER stuff (well, we were dirt poor but that wasn't really a big deal).

It annoys me that so many people today think that there is something illegitimate or fake about having a nice childhood. A lot of us really did have great childhoods. I had great parents and great friends. I walked to school everyday. Nobody beat me up. My parents didn't get divorced. I wasn't abused. It was just...nice. If they made a TV show about my life growing up, it would be criticized as not realistic, not "gritty enough".

Oh well, At least I enjoyed my childhood even it was boring by modern standards :).

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2011, 10:57:47 pm »

My childhood was pretty much LEAVE IT TO BEAVER stuff (well, we were dirt poor but that wasn't really a big deal).

It annoys me that so many people today think that there is something illegitimate or fake about having a nice childhood. A lot of us really did have great childhoods. I had great parents and great friends. I walked to school everyday. Nobody beat me up. My parents didn't get divorced. I wasn't abused. It was just...nice. If they made a TV show about my life growing up, it would be criticized as not realistic, not "gritty enough".

Oh well, At least I enjoyed my childhood even it was boring by modern standards :).

Same here.  My folks were great.  My dad owned a firm, my mom stayed at home with us (4 kids). Family dinner every night.  Church on Sunday (hated that though).  Sunday breakfast and sunday dinner every week.  Boys did motocross and baseball.  Sister did figure skating.  Never saw my parents argue, rarely cursed...dammit about the worst.  They always gave us enough rope to hang ourselves, then punishment was swift and firm.  It was a happy, good life.  I consider myself very lucky indeed to have had such an upbringing.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2011, 01:12:32 am »

Same here.  My folks were great.  My dad owned a firm, my mom stayed at home with us (4 kids). Family dinner every night.  Church on Sunday (hated that though).  Sunday breakfast and sunday dinner every week.  Boys did motocross and baseball.  Sister did figure skating.  Never saw my parents argue, rarely cursed...dammit about the worst.  They always gave us enough rope to hang ourselves, then punishment was swift and firm.  It was a happy, good life.  I consider myself very lucky indeed to have had such an upbringing.

...  :) that just proves, parents can do everything right, but kids still turn out in their own way ...

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2011, 01:19:40 am »
Love cars, and love watches that are in car related theme.

Costco is good place for buying watches, the local store had an Oris Williams F1 watch for under $1000, regular retail is over $1600, and Tag F1 Chrono from $650 to $900.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2011, 01:20:29 am »

...  :) that just proves, parents can do everything right, but kids still turn out in their own way ...

My folks really encouraged us to be different, unique, do our own thing.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2011, 09:28:21 am »

Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you. ;D

http://www.phespirit.info/montypython/four_yorkshiremen.htm
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2011, 09:37:10 am »

Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you. ;D

http://www.phespirit.info/montypython/four_yorkshiremen.htm

:rofl:  I haven't seen that in a long time.  Thanks for the laugh...
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2011, 09:42:42 am »
You are getting this - Done

:rofl2: