Author Topic: Any Wrist Watch Advice?  (Read 5937 times)

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-167
    • View Profile
Re: Any Wrist Watch Advice?
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2011, 09:14:12 pm »
It may be a little over your budget, but I've got a Tissot PRS200 and I absolutely love it. 

An unquestionably beautiful watch but a little TOO similar to my Daytona: an all metal chronograph with three small dials and a metal link bracelet.

I'm looking for something a bit more downscale that won't give me a stroke if I accidentally hit it with a hammer :).

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2011, 09:17:56 pm »
I also have a Rolex that I've been restoring (Pre-Daytona) that I'm started to get scared to wear.  I have no idea what it's worth, but would imagine it's getting up there.  I think if I knew they real value, I'd lock it away and that would see like a crime.  Anyways...I watch that I like without breaking the bank, good looks, reliable and a 10 year warranty and all under $200 is Guess watches.  I know..seems odd.  But their stuff is quality.  I have one 20+ years old.  And another 10+.  Never a worry.  A great everyday watch.  Their sport line has exactly what you're looking for.

Another quality watch without spending too much bread is Nixon.  I had one of their Rotolog Teak watches.  Was stunning and ALWAYS got noticed and complimented when I wore it.  Probably moreso than any watch I've owned.  That seems to be the case with Nixons.  Some of them are a bit odd, but in a classy, chic way.  Most of them are around $200.  Would highly recommend them, as well.  LOOOVE their new Magnacon SS watch!

Also, scan the classified ads (Kijiji).  I picked up a $1200 Tissot T-Touch Danica Patrick Ltd. Edition for next to nothing.  GiantDwarf picked it up for me.  Was as new and is a stunning watch.  The T-Touch are VERY cool.

http://www.guesswatches.com
http://www.nixonnow.com/

Some great stuff there!

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2011, 09:21:26 pm »
Top notch Tissot!!  Love them!!

This is IQs Tissot I got on Kijiji.  Face is mother of pearl, with diamonds at the hours.

OK, silly question...how do you know it's a "real" one if you by them from Kijiji? 

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12397
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2011, 10:20:27 pm »
Jaeger and Dexer. Ok   I see the point of a beautiful machine.

Do you treat it like a chronograph should be treated.  By which I mean:  Always winding it after the same number of hours ( whether that is once a day or once a week) Winding the same number of turns to keep the spring in the same range.  Have it calibrated every few years.  All this to keep the mechanism accurate in case you ever need to navigate across oceans.  Which is what chronographs were designed to do.

I take good care of all my watches, but they don't have to be babied.  An automatic need not be wound for the same number of turns or after the same number of hours.  If it is worn regularly, the rotor will do the winding for you and quality watches are adjusted to provide a constant rate at varying states of wind.  And it's more than okay if the watch stops - it just shouldn't sit for months on end without being fully wound and allowed to run down to help keep an even distribution of lubricants.  A manual wind watch, just wind it fully before you wear it - and each morning thereafter that you continue wearing it.

Mrs. Jaeger wears this:

It's the only watch she wears and she wears it every day, so she pretty much never winds it.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2011, 11:07:54 pm »
Ooh I'd love an IWC too!

I love watches, don't have any decent ones right now.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2011, 11:17:36 pm »
Watches are for pansies.    I tell time by smelling sea gull poop.  As long as I know the surface pressure and RH, I'm good to go.   I refuse to be shackled!

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Poor Dexer's mom... we've gone from Timex to Tissot.

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2011, 11:56:47 pm »

Poor Dexer's mom... we've gone from Timex to Tissot.

Don't worry...we're still at Timex/Casio...in that general range :). But the final decision will be hers.

There is a "self-leveling" factor in the budget. My mother is my only remaining family and I'm her only remaining family. So we joke that whatever we spend on each other is just that much less that the survivor will eventually inherit anyway. She can buy me a $2000.00 dollar watch if she wants because it just comes out of my inheritance! And if I get hit by a bus and die first, she just get's it all back anyway :).

Ultimately, we are just rearranging the finances among the last two next-of-kin.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2011, 12:58:20 am »
maybe try amazon? Some items I noticed can be shipped to Canada and some cannot. You need an account on amazon to find out.

one of the examples:

http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-SNQ097-Perpetual-Calendar-Finish/dp/B002KFZO04/ref=sr_1_1?s=watches&ie=UTF8&qid=1299477197&sr=1-1
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2011, 09:02:58 am »
I had (still have) a nice stainless Nautica with a dark blue face.  Last time the battery died I thought I'd try going without, since everywhere you look there is a clock.  Stove, microwave, pvr, car, motorcycle, phone, computer, they're everywhere.  I always felt naked without a watch on, but I found it surprisingly easy to go without.  I haven't worn a watch in over a year now. 
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2011, 09:20:43 am »
..Bling fer Dex............ :D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2011, 09:42:24 am »
... since everywhere you look there is a clock.  Stove, microwave, pvr, car, motorcycle, phone, computer, they're everywhere. 

You don't get out much, do you? :)

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2011, 10:36:25 am »
... since everywhere you look there is a clock.  Stove, microwave, pvr, car, motorcycle, phone, computer, they're everywhere. 

You don't get out much, do you? :)
With 2 kids, not as much as I'd like to... :(

As long as my cell is in my pocket, I've always got a clock with me.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2011, 10:49:10 am »
I'll second the Nixon suggestion.  I have the Cannon and it has great style, is really bomber (I beat the hell out of my watches) and well... tells time.

They have a number of styles, you should be able to find one you like.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2011, 10:55:49 am »
...Time fer a Watchergate timepiece..............It's impeachment TIME....I'd buy me one of these..... 8)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2011, 04:55:11 pm »

OK, silly question...how do you know it's a "real" one if you by them from Kijiji? 

Well in this case, you can't make a fake Tissot Touch.  You could make a fake watch with mechanical innards.  But the Touch has the touch-sensitive mutli function crystal.  It's not a fake-able watch.  Plus it had all the original box, papers, COA and numbered registration.

But definitely be careful for certain watches you buy, because some can be faked.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 05:14:33 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2011, 05:48:57 pm »
Most of my collection is vintage Omega and Zenith. Love mechanical watches.
My daily driver is the first gen Seiko Kinetic Auto Relay. As accurate as a quartz watch, but uses an automatic type winding mechanism to generate electricity to charge the capacitor to keep it running. Built like a tank, and 200 meter water proof, so perfect for the gym, etc. Love it!
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2011, 05:50:16 pm »
My daily driver is the first gen Seiko Kinetic Auto Relay. As accurate as a quartz watch, but uses an automatic type winding mechanism to generate electricity to charge the capacitor to keep it running. Built like a tank, and 200 meter water proof, so perfect for the gym, etc. Love it!

You gym is under water?  Do you use the Nautilus machines then?   :rofl2: :rofl: :rofl2: :rofl:

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2011, 06:06:58 pm »

Dude, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but you've officially got a hybrid  ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2011, 06:10:25 pm »

Dude, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but you've officially got a hybrid  ;D

No, he'll tell us it's NOT a hybrid, it's an extended range timepiece... :rofl2:
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 06:15:01 pm by rrocket »

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2011, 09:19:00 pm »

Mrs. Jaeger wears this:

It's the only watch she wears and she wears it every day, so she pretty much never winds it.

Jaeger

Oohh, an IWC for women!  That's rare.  That one looks nice too.

My husband is a watch enthusiast like I am a car enthusiast.  His favorite brand for under $1000 is Seiko.

I agree with Jaeger, spend a little more but get something special.  Especially if you like watches a lot.

Although currently I wear an Omega, one of my favorite casual watches remains my Swiss Army watch that I got for $300.  Nice clear dial.