Author Topic: What do you do on a Friday night?  (Read 7643 times)

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
Re: What do you do on a Friday night?
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2011, 11:39:09 am »
Nobody writes anymore.  They just text and drive, badly.
I doubt a 16 year old would know how to write anymore, they print and it looks like someone in grade 3 did it.

Fixed that for you.

How true! I doubt they even know how to communicate face to face anymore.

I see them as walking zombies. No interest or passion for anything anymore in our out with the recent new and in with the new material world. What a sad state to be in.
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2011, 11:41:25 am »
What's your Friday night like... typically? :)

I spend my creative time in my shop tinkering.

And when I need a break, I'm on the net. Zero money not spent buying overpriced beer in a bar.

vdk

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2011, 02:06:50 am »
Taught my 5 year old how to write few cursive letters for the first time.

I think I've met 4 people in my whole life who could write cursive. It's a bit of a lost art. :thumbup:

Fridays.. bar!!

Really? How is that? Isn't this how learn to write at school?

Lost art?  Isn't it how everyone writes?

Both of you are European. So are my parents, the reason why I can write like a human..

In my school life, I've met 4-5 people who could truly write cursive. Most people can't or worse don't bother.

I might be picky though. Most people just scribble letters together, that's not cursive writing.

And once again, my to-go video when it comes to writing: Youtube Link.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 02:15:26 am by vdk »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2011, 06:22:04 am »

I think I've met 4 people in my whole life who could write cursive. It's a bit of a lost art. :thumbup:

Fridays.. bar!!

Both of you are European. So are my parents, the reason why I can write like a human..

In my school life, I've met 4-5 people who could truly write cursive. Most people can't or worse don't bother.

I might be picky though. Most people just scribble letters together, that's not cursive writing.

You example of cursive writing is pretty bad
In the 70's all essay in school were hand written so your handwriting had to pretty good or you lost a lot of markers
And this was in Canada so I do not were this  European comment came from?

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2011, 08:55:22 am »
Friday night, just like any other night.  Dinner for 2 kids.  Bedtime for 2 kids.  Finally get to sit down and veg around 8:30 or 9:00.  My wife works part time (no need for day-care), if she works that evening, then I'm doing that by myself. 

Since tv really sucks lately, one of our friends gave us seasons 1 and 2 of Dexter.  We've been watching that lately after the kids have gone to bed.
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-167
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2011, 09:48:48 am »

Since tv really sucks lately, one of our friends gave us seasons 1 and 2 of Dexter.  We've been watching that lately after the kids have gone to bed.

That's why I've been developing a library that will get me "off the TV grid".

I watched a couple more episodes of The Twilight Zone (1961) last night and I still have a few episodes of SPACE 1999 to watch. 10 minutes ago, I placed an order with amazon for a few more Blu-ray movies including the 1970's TV movie THE CALIFORNIA KID.

No more nights suffering through "Celebrity Apprentice" or "The Kardashians" for me :).

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2011, 10:09:31 am »

Fridays.. bar!!

Had no idea what you were taling about when you typed 'cursive'. Now I see, and I was taught to write like that in grade school (in Etobicoke) and alternated between the two styles. For the most part stopped writing cursive in my late teens, and only catch me jotting stuff using it occassionally - for me it's actually quicker to do so.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 10:11:21 am by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2011, 10:18:25 am »
Oh, and IceAndFire, your Friday night sounds enjoyable to me. Really, anything that gets you out of the weekly routine and with friends or family is a good plan.

I could use more time doing different stuff (haven't been 'out' on a Friday/Saturday night in awhile), but also enjoy staying home watching movies, drinking, baking, having friends/family over or visiting them, etc. I tend to have a positive attitude for whatever I'm up to, so I'd just dismiss someone else's opinion of what 'lame' is anyway.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 10:20:13 am by sirAQUAMAN64 »

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2011, 10:48:20 am »
"No more nights suffering through "Celebrity Apprentice" or "The Kardashians" for me "

I hear ya.  With the exception of "The Amazing Race", I can't stand any of those reality shows.  Reruns of Top Gear are more entertaining than most things on tv these days.

vdk

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2011, 11:04:58 am »

Fridays.. bar!!

You example of cursive writing is pretty bad
In the 70's all essay in school were hand written so your handwriting had to pretty good or you lost a lot of markers
And this was in Canada so I do not were this  European comment came from?

A lot of things can happen it 30+ years. There is no need to hand-write anything now, you can type everything on the computer and print.

I never had a teacher who cared how good your writing is. I remember my English teacher in grade 12, she used to call students over to her desk when marking in-class essays, which had to be handwritten, because she couldn't understand their writing.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2011, 03:42:31 pm »

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2011, 10:29:33 am »
invite strangers in off the street and watch a scary movie with them. slip something in their drinks and go to town.

That's considered impolite in Canada  ;D
Mr Pickypants

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2011, 06:53:39 pm »
Thanks for sharing all :)

I often have doubts, thanks to my somewhat socially conservative upbringing, that I'm not really getting out and enjoying life properly. I'm still convinced that is the case owing to my lack of a dating life. That may be geographical in nature as well. Aside from the university there aren't very many young people in Hamilton. That's another story :)

BTW: I was taught cursive writing in grade 2-4 and I can write cursively and properly if I need to. I have rare need for it but I do write a very messy cursive while taking notes when I attend courses or back when I was in university. It's difficult to read (even for me sometimes) but it's significantly faster than printing it out which is apparently what people do now. Not sure how they survive university...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2011, 07:01:55 pm »
Fridays for us?  Usually a nice meal at a very nice restaurant.  Then to a coffee place and/or cigar lounge.  That's winter weekends.

In the summer, Friday or Sat is usually devoted to some kind of sporting activity...pro baseball game, a race of some type or us racing.  The other day is devoted to the nice dinner, coffee and cigars.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2011, 08:46:33 pm »
Thanks for sharing all :)

I often have doubts, thanks to my somewhat socially conservative upbringing, that I'm not really getting out and enjoying life properly. I'm still convinced that is the case owing to my lack of a dating life. That may be geographical in nature as well. Aside from the university there aren't very many young people in Hamilton. That's another story :)

BTW: I was taught cursive writing in grade 2-4 and I can write cursively and properly if I need to. I have rare need for it but I do write a very messy cursive while taking notes when I attend courses or back when I was in university. It's difficult to read (even for me sometimes) but it's significantly faster than printing it out which is apparently what people do now. Not sure how they survive university...

???  There are tons of young people in hamilton.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2011, 08:50:32 pm »
Fridays for me often involve either taking someone to a hockey practice, or going away to a hockey or gymnastics tournament.

If not, it's a time to sit down with a glass of wine and either a good book or some amusing tv, of which there isn't a lot nowadays, but I've discovered scenesource (at scnsrc.net), which certainly helps.  
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2011, 09:20:50 pm »
My Friday nights are usually spent unwinding from the week, and preparing my gear for Saturday's hike.  I've gone out on dates the odd time here and there, and have come home wishing I'd stayed home and stuck needles in my eyes instead.   ;D  Those of you who are in committed relationships... stay there!  You are in a good place.  Trust me on this one.   :rofl2:

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2011, 09:22:37 pm »

Interesting statement.  If the old ones are any indication...  :hurl:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2011, 09:28:38 pm »

Interesting statement.  If the old ones are any indication...  :hurl:

I thought you were a cougar and only dated the young ones?   :rofl2:

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2011, 09:52:07 pm »
A lot of Friday evenings are spent driving to the mountains.