Poll

Do you drive a manual transmission or an Automatic Transmission?

I only own a manual
I own both an automatic and a manual
I would like to drive a manual, but for whatever reason all I own is an automatic
I only drive an automatic

Author Topic: Manual transmission or Automatic?  (Read 7072 times)

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
Re: Manual transmission or Automatic?
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2011, 06:49:58 am »
I think some tests have shown that if you compare a car with DSG and a car with a traditional manual, the traditional manual will still overall have better acceleration despite the DSG advantage in shift speed. Back to the drawing board.  8)

Only my first car and a 50cc scooter was automatic, I've owned eight manuals including my current Mazda 5, but I think I'll be looking into a hybrid, electric, or somewhere in between (plugin hybrid) the next year or two.

I don't know about that. Both the GTI DSG and Porsche PDK have consitently better acceleration times than their manual couterparts. Partly due to shorter shift times and partly due to more consistent launches from launch control.

As much as I like manuals for the physical involvment factor ..its exactly that factor that makes them less efficient.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2011, 11:02:01 am »
1 manual Civic  8), 1 manual accent  :-[, and 1 auto Rav4  :)  .... made both kids learn on the stick BEFORE we let them use the D FOR DUMMY AUTOMATIC.. :popo:

When I was a kid, I initially learned on an automatic.  But as soon as I got my intermediate license, my parents traded in the Cherokee for a Saturn with a manual transmission.  Probably the best thing they ever for my driving education.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2011, 11:26:10 am »
I think some tests have shown that if you compare a car with DSG and a car with a traditional manual, the traditional manual will still overall have better acceleration despite the DSG advantage in shift speed. Back to the drawing board.  8)

Only my first car and a 50cc scooter was automatic, I've owned eight manuals including my current Mazda 5, but I think I'll be looking into a hybrid, electric, or somewhere in between (plugin hybrid) the next year or two.

I don't know about that. Both the GTI DSG and Porsche PDK have consitently better acceleration times than their manual couterparts. Partly due to shorter shift times and partly due to more consistent launches from launch control.

As much as I like manuals for the physical involvment factor ..its exactly that factor that makes them less efficient.

I know that's true with some DSG's being quicker than their manual counterparts.  Personally, it doesn't matter to me if a DSG or PDK type tranny is a few 10th's, or whatever, quicker to 60 or for a 1/4 mile.  For me it's all about the experience of shifting it myself, and a well timed heal-and-toe downshift.  It just adds to the interaction of man and machine.   ;D   :drive:
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Sasker

« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2011, 03:43:36 am »
Driving an automatic car is too similar to a video game for my liking. Driver involvement is much higher with a manual transmission. Doing half-clutches to ever-so-slowly move the car forward makes driving a manual worth it. I don't take my cars to the track, so the speed of gear changes isn't very important.