Poll

Do you drive a manual transmission or an Automatic Transmission?

I only own a manual
I own both an automatic and a manual
I would like to drive a manual, but for whatever reason all I own is an automatic
I only drive an automatic

Author Topic: Manual transmission or Automatic?  (Read 7067 times)

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
Re: Manual transmission or Automatic?
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2011, 10:11:18 am »
When we shop for new vehicles, the first screen we use to filter choices is the availability of a manual transmission.  It narrows the selection in a hurry, these days.

Same here.

Its unfortunate, but quite a few interesting cars are only available with an automagic transmission.

Then there are manufacturers that have manuals in other markets, but only in an automagic in our's.
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2011, 10:31:21 am »
I prefer an automatic in a truck, I don't mind a manual, had one in my F250, but as my better half couldn't really drive it as a second car we got an automatic F150 to replace it. 
Our Outback VDC was only available in automatic and is primarily her car,  for how we drive it I also don't mind the automatic.  Same with the Jag.
My cars are all manual, fun cars work better that way.  My lower back doesn't always agree though.
Mr Pickypants

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2011, 10:56:28 am »
My cars are all manual, fun cars work better that way.  My lower back doesn't always agree though.

I do remember cursing my clutch while driving from Newark to JFK through Manhatten during rush hour.  :banghead:

I felt sorry for the Ferrari owner who was in the next lane, moving a meter at a time while on the Long Island expressway. What a waste!

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12397
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2011, 11:01:19 am »
When we shop for new vehicles, the first screen we use to filter choices is the availability of a manual transmission.  It narrows the selection in a hurry, these days.

Too true.  And there are a good many models notionally available with manuals, but not stocked by dealers because they are hard to move.  So getting to test drive one can be difficult, and then a purchase becomes a special order - and there goes your negotiating position.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2011, 11:32:07 am »
I think if the DSG had a stick shift on the floor so it felt like you were still rowing gears but there was no clutch pedal I'd probaly be fine with it. That's what I really miss..the satisfying feel of the gear change going into each gear. I don't really miss pushing down on the clutch pedal.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2011, 04:01:45 pm »
I think if the DSG had a stick shift on the floor so it felt like you were still rowing gears but there was no clutch pedal I'd probaly be fine with it. That's what I really miss..the satisfying feel of the gear change going into each gear. I don't really miss pushing down on the clutch pedal.

This.  :thumbup: I have always wondered if this would be a reality later on. Oh, and no automatic mode either. Basically a manual with no clutch.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2011, 04:14:06 pm »

This.  :thumbup: I have always wondered if this would be a reality later on. Oh, and no automatic mode either. Basically a manual with no clutch.

You could get a Porsche 911 with a Sportomatic 40 years ago, it worked just like that.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2011, 04:21:23 pm »

You could get a Porsche 911 with a Sportomatic 40 years ago, it worked just like that.

I've driven one.  My impression - totally lame.

Jaeger

Leviathan

« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2011, 06:52:25 pm »
Every car I've owned has been a manual. The manual in the Tribute really makes the most of the modest engine and it's pretty fun to drive. Well, as fun as a Tribute can be I guess  ;)

Offline Gamefreak

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +3/-5
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 11 Hyundai Elantra GLS 6MT 4dr
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2011, 09:25:43 pm »
Its unfortunate, but quite a few interesting cars are only available with an automagic transmission.

Then there are manufacturers that have manuals in other markets, but only in an automagic in our's.

Sounds fun!  Does it fly?

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2011, 08:20:44 am »
The Forester is a manual.  Every car I've owned has been manual.  Before were were married, I taught my wife to drive a manual on my Miata.  She picked it up no problem, even cars she has bought have been mauals.  I've been driving a manual for so long, I get screwed up if I get into a car that doesn't have a clutch pedal.  Whenever we've been car shopping, if there wasn't a manual option then it got crossed of the list. 

I thoroughly enjoy driving a manual.  Times I've been stuck in traffic, having a manual hasn't bothered me in the least.  I've tried "tiptronic" type automatics, it just isn't the same for me.  It will be a sad day if manuals ever disappear in place of dsg types.

:drive:
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2011, 08:26:06 am »
I thoroughly enjoy driving a manual.  Times I've been stuck in traffic, having a manual hasn't bothered me in the least.  I've tried "tiptronic" type automatics, it just isn't the same for me.  It will be a sad day if manuals ever disappear in place of dsg types.

Prepare to be sad.  The writing is on the wall and has been there for some time.

Jaeger

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2011, 08:38:49 am »
I think some tests have shown that if you compare a car with DSG and a car with a traditional manual, the traditional manual will still overall have better acceleration despite the DSG advantage in shift speed. Back to the drawing board.  8)

Only my first car and a 50cc scooter was automatic, I've owned eight manuals including my current Mazda 5, but I think I'll be looking into a hybrid, electric, or somewhere in between (plugin hybrid) the next year or two.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2011, 09:12:02 am »

Prepare to be sad.  The writing is on the wall and has been there for some time.

Jaeger

Unfortunately true, its difficult even now to get a manual in top of the line versions of new cars being introduced, even if they haven't been eliminated altogether. Combined with the sticker shock for new cars coming out, particularly in the Compact segment, with all the options "we" are used to having, I no longer see any decent performance (with some luxury) manual transmission new cars being introduced in the future which will have good value for money. This has changed my approach to buying.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2011, 11:56:59 am »
On full size trucks, the domestics could never seem to put together anything decent, tall heavy clutches and long throw agricultural transmissions were the norm. Standard autos were the best things that ever happened to them.

True, but I had one exception, being a 1988 Ford 150 (heavy half) straight 6 with a 5 speed Mazda manual.  Fantastic driving experience.

That's the same transmission that's in my Ranger.  It's a wonderful piece of machinery. 

One of the reasons I love manual transmissions in trucks (or any front engine/rear wheel drive vehicle) is that the shift lever is directly attached to the transmission.  No rubbery shift linkages for me, thank you very much.  Plus, the gear stick vibrates with the engine, and moves slightly when you press the throttle.  I love it.  It's very visceral.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2011, 01:13:24 pm »
One of the reasons I love manual transmissions in trucks (or any front engine/rear wheel drive vehicle) is that the shift lever is directly attached to the transmission.  No rubbery shift linkages for me, thank you very much.  Plus, the gear stick vibrates with the engine, and moves slightly when you press the throttle.  I love it.  It's very visceral.

Sounds like my Outback. :)
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2011, 08:23:02 pm »
No rubbery shift linkages for me, thank you very much.  Plus, the gear stick vibrates with the engine, and moves slightly when you press the throttle.  I love it.  It's very visceral.

Bang-on.  Just like a Miata...and an RX-8...both of which have seen my garage.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2011, 10:29:05 pm »
^^
And in the case of the RX-8, many other garages as well ;-) ;-) ;-)

Nice one!  Ah yes...the frustrations we put up with.  I should just give up and drive a Corolla...it's much more efficient too.    ;)

The guys at the garage today took a good look at the Protege5.  There were pretty amazed it had as many kms as it does.  Just a tie-rod boot that needs to be replaced...darn it all.   :-X

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2011, 08:50:43 am »
No rubbery shift linkages for me, thank you very much.  Plus, the gear stick vibrates with the engine, and moves slightly when you press the throttle.  I love it.  It's very visceral.

Bang-on.  Just like a Miata...and an RX-8...both of which have seen my garage.
Ohhh, I loved the shifter in my Miata.  After I replaced the clutch, it was the best pedal/shifter combo I've driven.  It's the only car I've kicked myself for selling.   :'(

Offline caretaker007

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2011, 06:11:59 am »
1 manual Civic  8), 1 manual accent  :-[, and 1 auto Rav4  :)  .... made both kids learn on the stick BEFORE we let them use the D FOR DUMMY AUTOMATIC.. :popo: