Author Topic: Is the EVO Dead?  (Read 2354 times)

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
Is the EVO Dead?
« on: March 02, 2011, 01:00:48 pm »
Autoblog is reporting that the EVO may be done:

Link -> Is the EVO Dead?

According to Gayu Eusegi, head of global product development for Mitsubishi, the Lancer Evolution X will be the last Evo the Japanese automaker ever builds. Eusegi says the move is part of a shift in strategy to put the company's product focus and ethos on leadership in EV technology.

To that end, Autocar indicates that Mitsubishi will release eight fully-electric or hybrid-electric cars by the time 2015 rolls around, and make a grab for a big portion of the CO2-reduction market share. It goes without saying that the fun-yet-fuel-swilling Evo just doesn't fit that mindset, particularly since it apes a rally car that no longer exists.

Despite the Evo's huge popularity, Mitsubishi apparently isn't scared of the step and says it's confident that consumers will glom on to the idea and rally behind the brand. By killing the Evo, they're making their intentions plain to an increasingly environmentally-conscious car-buying public.

Eusegi killed dead any notion that the brand would roll out a performance-oriented hybrid as well. "Maybe the world can change, and maybe someday we can do a motor race by electric vehicles. Maybe then we can enter the market agian," he said.

This report of the Evo's death would seem to stand in contrast to multiple reports that an Evo XI is in the works with a hybrid drivetrain. We're taking this latest Autocar missive with a few grains of salt, as we can see how Eusegi may have simply meant that an Evo that relies exclusively on internal combustion is dead – a hybrid Evo would seem to offer a nice technological bridge to Mitsubishi's more electrically minded future. Hat tip to Dennis!

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: Is the EVO Dead?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 01:29:58 pm »
Really sad if true. The evo's four skinny wheels were the pillars of the foundation Mitsu have built their badge on*  Take that away and in 10 years NA won't know who they are. Maybe they weren't selling many, but the Evo brought the make to the first pages of car mags and that trickled down to people buying Lancers because of the performance image Mitsu have established. It's great they are going electric, but Japan and NA are very different in terms of how ppl see their cars.

* my old mitsu pencil sharpener doesn't count 
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 02:11:54 pm »
Really sad if true. The evo's four skinny wheels were the pillars of the foundation Mitsu have built their badge on*  Take that away and in 10 years NA won't know who they are. Maybe they weren't selling many, but the Evo brought the make to the first pages of car mags and that trickled down to people buying Lancers because of the performance image Mitsu have established. It's great they are going electric, but Japan and NA are very different in terms of how ppl see their cars.

* my old mitsu pencil sharpener doesn't count 

That, and the (original) hairy Eclipse/Taser/Talon.  Not the boated cruiser we have today.....
Fortune favours the bold!

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 02:19:25 pm »
Odd decision if true. The EVO is Mitsubishi for a lot of people. They only have to look at their image before the EVO was sold here.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 02:23:58 pm »
If this is true (I hope not) it's very sad news.
The Evo is the showcase of Mitus engineering powerhouse. If it disappears, so does most of the brand equity as far as I'm concerned.
Although Mitsu didn't have a factory WRC team for years, the Evo is still the car of choice for many private teams in P-WRC (more than half last time I counted) and other rally competitions, and it continues to win titles.

Damn "greenies" hit again!  >:(

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 03:00:30 pm »
Until an official statment comes from Mitsubishi, the EVO is officially NOT cancelled.  It's official, boys.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 04:24:57 pm »
Not my kind of cat, but the loss of any cool car is always a shame. Here's hoping they smarten up!
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 01:12:15 pm »
The EVO going away, not gonna happen.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 01:23:25 pm »
The EVO going away, not gonna happen.

It might go electric which would be the equivalent.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 03:01:01 pm »
Personally I feel like this isn't such a great loss, which is odd.  I love the EVO, always have.  But the earlier iterations IV to VIII were the best IMHO, and were truly head and shoulders above everything else out there.

Now they are just a very expensive four door saloon with similar power to a few others in the same price range.  I think the design of the car (and the NA price) has gone the wrong way, this shouldn't be a premium product, it should be a fast family car, ridiculously fast.  $53K plus tax is stupid.

With Mitsubishi absent from WRC, killing it and starting afresh might be a wise move, before they sully the name any further.  You never know, in a few years they may have a great hybrid WRC car with small electric motors on each wheel, with enough instant torque to get a 0-60 in 4 seconds again!

I'd love an Evo V or VI TM Edition. In the UK they sell for very little.  :(

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 05:19:35 pm »
I have seen maybe three EVOs in the last year, and couldn't count how many STi I have seen.  The Mistu is too expensive and our dealers are, shockingly, much worse than the local Subaru dealers.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
Re:
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 06:36:12 pm »
I have seen maybe three EVOs in the last year, and couldn't count how many STi I have seen.  The Mistu is too expensive and our dealers are, shockingly, much worse than the local Subaru dealers.

Yeah, I'll be the first to admit the EVO is faster and far 'rawer' then the STI, but with a price difference of $10K it is not worth it.  I'll take a STI and spend 10K on it to make it mine (and have that sweet rumble)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 06:44:24 pm »

With Mitsubishi absent from WRC,

Dude, EVERYONE is absent from WRC!!  There's only 2 factory teams...Ford and Citroen.  MINI is set to step inside...so you'll have THREE.   ::)

Everyone defected to IRC...where there are 10 (?) factory teams...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 06:45:58 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 08:15:42 pm »

With Mitsubishi absent from WRC,

Dude, EVERYONE is absent from WRC!!  There's only 2 factory teams...Ford and Citroen.  MINI is set to step inside...so you'll have THREE.   ::)

Everyone defected to IRC...where there are 10 (?) factory teams...

It doesn't change my point.  In the UK where WRC is much more popular and has been for years, the rivalry between Subaru and Mitsubishi was playground/top trumps talk, like hockey is here.  Or Ford/Holden is in Oz.  You were either a Subaru person or a Mitsubishi person.  Without WRC the EVO has lost its reason for being, although in the UK it was still fairly priced.  You have to understand the European culture.

Over here it's now not associated with rallying AND it's ridiculously expensive.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 08:20:27 pm »
Well the IRC is in Europe and has taken over many of the traditional WRC rounds.  And Ralliart and Subaru have teams there..so the rivalry is still there.  But WRC is dying...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 11:49:46 pm »
IRC is getting better, but it's nowhere near the level of WRC yet.  The TV coverage and presenting need to improve dramatically.

It's like saying watch Toronto FC instead of Premier League, as it's all still football.   :shake:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2011, 11:56:41 pm »
IRC is getting better, but it's nowhere near the level of WRC yet.  The TV coverage and presenting need to improve dramatically.

It's like saying watch Toronto FC instead of Premier League, as it's all still football.   :shake:

You mean like NFL?   :stick:

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2011, 12:16:50 am »
Mitsu and Subaru are still part of the WRC but not as factory teams. P-WRC is virtually split between the two.
The Ralliart has been shut down last year IIRC or the year before and this was a sign of the end of Mitsu performance cars.
Many local rally championships still have EVOs competing (including in North America) so Mitsu/EVO is still associated with Rally.

In Canada, Evo starts at $42K versus STI at $38K so it's $4K difference not $10K. In US, both start at $34K.

Is the STI next?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 12:25:15 am by carcrazy »

vdk

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 03:00:06 am »

Who are you cheering for? Just so I know if we can be friends or not...  :rofl2:

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 07:00:42 am »
Not Toronto FC.