Author Topic: Is the EVO Dead?  (Read 2352 times)

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
Re: Is the EVO Dead?
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 09:00:20 am »
Mitsu and Subaru are still part of the WRC but not as factory teams. P-WRC is virtually split between the two.
The Ralliart has been shut down last year IIRC or the year before and this was a sign of the end of Mitsu performance cars.
Many local rally championships still have EVOs competing (including in North America) so Mitsu/EVO is still associated with Rally.

In Canada, Evo starts at $42K versus STI at $38K so it's $4K difference not $10K. In US, both start at $34K.

Is the STI next?

Sorry, I should have specified.  I always go top of the line with cars like these to get all the toys.  I was comparing the $41500 STI Sport tech vs the $54 000 EVO MR.  The Hatch STI closes the gap a bit at $42 500.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2011, 10:37:21 am »
Mitsu and Subaru are still part of the WRC but not as factory teams. P-WRC is virtually split between the two.
The Ralliart has been shut down last year IIRC or the year before and this was a sign of the end of Mitsu performance cars.
Many local rally championships still have EVOs competing (including in North America) so Mitsu/EVO is still associated with Rally.

In Canada, Evo starts at $42K versus STI at $38K so it's $4K difference not $10K. In US, both start at $34K.

Is the STI next?

Sorry, I should have specified.  I always go top of the line with cars like these to get all the toys.  I was comparing the $41500 STI Sport tech vs the $54 000 EVO MR.  The Hatch STI closes the gap a bit at $42 500.

I see your point but factor in that the $52K Evo has Recaro leather seats, DCT, allegedly superior AWD, upgraded sound, the MMCS is better integrated and more advanced than the after thought Navi in the Subie, etc.

However, I agree with you that the $52K is too much for the car, with no chance to pick your options. The biggest mistake Mitsu makes in Canada with all their cars not only Evo is that they even offer a stripper or a fully loaded version; not much in between.
In the US, they have better packaging. In the US you can get an MR and then add Premium, Touring, Navi or whatever package if you wish. Here they pile up all the options and the price goes to the sky.

My choice would be a base US MR for about $38K US (I don’t need Navi, 700W sound system, sunroof, leather, etc…). At that price is comparable to the US STI and you get all the good bits this car has to offer.
If there is someone to blame for the crazy price in Canada, it’s Mitsu Canada.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 10:39:31 am by carcrazy »

vdk

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2011, 11:08:19 am »
Not Toronto FC.

That's disappointing...

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2011, 11:15:34 am »

Is the STI next?

I see your point but factor in that the $52K Evo has Recaro leather seats, DCT, allegedly superior AWD, upgraded sound, the MMCS is better integrated and more advanced than the after thought Navi in the Subie, etc.

However, I agree with you that the $52K is too much for the car, with no chance to pick your options. The biggest mistake Mitsu makes in Canada with all their cars not only Evo is that they even offer a stripper or a fully loaded version; not much in between. In the US, they have better packaging. In the US you can get an MR and then add Premium, Touring, Navi or whatever package if you wish. Here they pile up all the options and the price goes to the sky.

My choice would be a base US MR for about $38K US (I don’t need Navi, 700W sound system, sunroof, leather, etc…). At that price is comparable to the US STI and you get all the good bits this car has to offer.
If there is someone to blame for the crazy price in Canada, it’s Mitsu Canada.

I agree.  I had similar problem with my WRX.  I wanted fog lights and the upgraded radio (USB connection and 6 speakers).  To pay for these two things through the dealer was over $1000 installed.  So I decided I might as well step up to the limited and get the leather and sunroof for another $800.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2011, 01:35:17 pm »
Not Toronto FC.

UP the Arsenal................... ;D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2011, 02:56:28 pm »
Mitsubishi Motor Cars has issued a statement in response to the numerous reports on the demise of the Evo:

Production of the current Lancer Evolution continues as planned.

As for its successor, regulations and market feedback will dictate its engineering package & architecture.

MMC has kept the Lancer Evolution sedan evolving as the brand's highest performing model in the global market. However, as the market's needs and demands change, MMC is considering not advancing the Lancer Evolution concept in the same way as before, but to find a different direction for the Lancer Evolution model to evolve. The new direction, the technologies involved, and corresponding products will be disclosed in due course.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 02:59:33 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2011, 01:44:21 am »
Not Toronto FC.

Soccer moms in minivans are more entertaining than FC.

I will pay $42,000, out of the door. Current price is too high.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 01:51:18 am by initial_D »