Author Topic: Any HVAC experts out there? Carrier furnace question.  (Read 3274 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Any HVAC experts out there? Carrier furnace question.
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2011, 07:18:48 pm »
home inspector  ::)
Waste of money

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2011, 07:21:23 pm »
Waste of money

Completely! I wouldn't have bothered, but the bank wanted it, and my company paid for it.

After the AC guy left, I got in touch with the furnace guy, and he did confirm that while he had it opened he cleaned the AC coil. He thought it was entirely possible that the home inspector measured it properly. He said the coil was badly clogged.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 07:24:29 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2011, 07:24:00 pm »
Waste of money

Completely!

Depends for what.  I had one come in for a pre-purchase inspection.  He went through EVERYTHING in my house.  Was there for 6+ hours and the documentation/checklist was twice as thick as a phone book.  Worth every penny.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2011, 07:46:21 pm »
I had a trusted general contractor go through my home to check out stuff I didn't know about.  Charged me ~$400 and was worth the dough, for sure.  Home inspectors in Alberta have no licensing requirements, so pretty much anyone can do it.  That's a big problem here.

I was one of the first people around to invest in an ultra high efficiency furnace, and did so when natural gas was ~$2/gJ, so people thought I was nuts.  I did it to reduce my consumption of fossil fuels, but when gas rocketed to $10/gJ or more for several winters no long after, I paid for the furnace quickly.

I have a Lennox, and despite their reputation for being so-so, it's been excellent, requiring little maintenance and no repairs.  I bought it because we had a program at work with Lennox and it cost me very little to upgrade from mid to ultra high efficiency.