Author Topic: need a new wireless router  (Read 4557 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
need a new wireless router
« on: February 26, 2011, 11:59:48 am »
Moving from Bell to Cogeco in March wille need a wireless router
What does everyone thing of this one
http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10333350&whse=BCCA&Ne=4000000&eCat=BCCA|84&N=4008631&Mo=50&No=25&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&cat=1333&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-CA&Sp=C&topnav=

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: need a new wireless router
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 12:13:02 pm »
I don't have any experience with that one.

I do have one of these, and am quite happy with it.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=2755284&sku=D700-5426

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 12:26:58 pm »
http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10333350&whse=BCCA&Ne=4000000&eCat=BCCA|84&N=4008631&Mo=50&No=25&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&cat=1333&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-CA&Sp=C&topnav=
Can't go wrong with Cisco (Linksys) home networking products.  They are also IPv6 ready, which means that you won't be replacing your router when ISPs finally get their thumbs out of their bums and connect us to the future.  Without knowing what wireless coverage you require or the layout of your house or the placement of your router it's hard to recommend a specific model.  What is definite is that you'll want Wireless-N (for speeds up to 300 megabits/s).  Perhaps you should be looking at the Linksys E2000. http://homestore-ca.cisco.com/en-ca/Routers/Linksys-E2000-Advanced-Wirelessn-router_stcVVproductId119043286VVcatId553377VVviewprod.htm

Street price is about $100.00.  I saw it at Future Shop for $99.99 the other day.  It also has the advantage of having Gigabit Ethernet on the wired side which is great if you have the need for speed there.  ;-)

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 12:47:31 pm »
I don't have any experience with that one.

I do have one of these, and am quite happy with it.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=2755284&sku=D700-5426

I have the same unit as above and for two years at least. Use Cogeco as well.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 01:45:20 pm »
@Angry  I don't think that the Linksys line Exxxx have IPV6 in the current firmware.   I realize that one can flash with DD-WRT    Cisco  are being a bit slow with IPV6 in consumer products
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 01:48:54 pm by tpl »
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-240
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 08:38:44 am »
I've always have d-links.....but have a butchers at this...

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-wireless-routers/

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 09:40:05 am »
Can't go wrong with Cisco (Linksys) home networking products. 

Agreed.  Their wireless products are pretty darn solid.  I received one of these when I had fibre installed at the house.  So far it's worked pretty good.

http://www.actiontec.com/products/product.php?pid=191
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 06:49:36 pm »
Can't go wrong with Cisco (Linksys) home networking products. 

Agreed.  Their wireless products are pretty darn solid.  I received one of these when I had fibre installed at the house.  So far it's worked pretty good.

http://www.actiontec.com/products/product.php?pid=191

I think when I got FibreOp, I got an E2 unit, it's good so far.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 08:39:24 pm »
My friend has a Trendnet N wireless router.   It seems to be so-so in his area where there are a couple dozens other access points around him.   Not very good through walls either.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 08:52:58 pm »
@Angry  I don't think that the Linksys line Exxxx have IPV6 in the current firmware.   I realize that one can flash with DD-WRT    Cisco  are being a bit slow with IPV6 in consumer products
My understanding is that the high-end Linksys routers automatically support 6to4 tunnels, though this is an undocumented feature.  Similarly, they will obtain an IPv6 address via PPPoE on a DSL local loop when the ISP is provisioned for it.  Though some other vendors (D-Link for example) have documented their IPv6 support, Linksys hasn't.

That being said, I expect that any late model consumer type router from a major vendor such as D-Link, Cisco, SMC, Buffalo, and Belkin will be easily upgraded via firmware.  The makers' relative laggardness is understandable given service providers' slow adoption of IPv6.  Unfortunately, the major driver for its adoption will likely be $$ vs. its obvious technical superiority and the fact that IPv4 is doomed.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 09:01:20 pm »
Btw, if anyone needs any help or information on WLANs, feel free to drop me a PM.  I specialize in Enterprise class WLAN deployments so wireless has been kinda my thing for quite some time and have even written a few white papers on it.  I'd be happy to help or answer any questions you might have.   :)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 06:22:05 am »
My friend has a Trendnet N wireless router.   It seems to be so-so in his area where there are a couple dozens other access points around him.   Not very good through walls either.

Thanks
need it is a single story house
The router needs to be in centre of the house as both main using areas are at oppose ends of the house
Walls are plaster

At the monent I can only pick up one other access point

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 07:22:50 am »
My understanding is that the high-end Linksys routers automatically support 6to4 tunnels, though this is an undocumented feature.  Similarly, they will obtain an IPv6 address via PPPoE on a DSL local loop when the ISP is provisioned for it.  Though some other vendors (D-Link for example) have documented their IPv6 support, Linksys hasn't.

That being said, I expect that any late model consumer type router from a major vendor such as D-Link, Cisco, SMC, Buffalo, and Belkin will be easily upgraded via firmware.  The makers' relative laggardness is understandable given service providers' slow adoption of IPv6.  Unfortunately, the major driver for its adoption will likely be $$ vs. its obvious technical superiority and the fact that IPv4 is doomed.
OK.   I'll be in the market for a new wireless N router soon and I'll certainly want V6 support in there.    I'll also want the dual frequency version as my newly renovated basement is framed with steel studs...just to help the wireless of course.  8)   and the house is plaster not drywall.   Maybe I'll just get a separate wireless system on each floor but maybe running some Cat 5 would be easier and faster.

I suspect that Rogers will probably spend a few years with "carrier grade NAT" rather than spend the money to replace the old Motorola Surfboard modems that don't support V6.  I'd be willing to pay for proper V6 support myself. I'm using a tunnel broker now.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 08:57:14 am »
We've got this one:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/d-link-wireless-n-router-dir-615/10093527.aspx?path=c10e542131b9aa21f2110f6f3439023aen02

It works quite well.  It's located in the basement, where the wired computer is, along with the Rogers modem.  We have no problem getting a good link anywhere in the house, on both a laptop and iPod touch.  it was pretty easy to get set up too.
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 09:05:00 am »
Btw, if anyone needs any help or information on WLANs, feel free to drop me a PM.  I specialize in Enterprise class WLAN deployments so wireless has been kinda my thing for quite some time and have even written a few white papers on it.  I'd be happy to help or answer any questions you might have.   :)
That's a very generous offer.  I hope you get some takers.   :)

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 09:07:52 am »

OK.   I'll be in the market for a new wireless N router soon and I'll certainly want V6 support in there.    I'll also want the dual frequency version as my newly renovated basement is framed with steel studs...just to help the wireless of course.  8)   and the house is plaster not drywall.   Maybe I'll just get a separate wireless system on each floor but maybe running some Cat 5 would be easier and faster.

I suspect that Rogers will probably spend a few years with "carrier grade NAT" rather than spend the money to replace the old Motorola Surfboard modems that don't support V6.  I'd be willing to pay for proper V6 support myself. I'm using a tunnel broker now.
I've extended the wireless in my home by using wired powerline networking.  Much easier than running Cat5 (or 6!) through your home and I've easily averaged over 100 mbps on it.  Great for streaming video, etc.  The current HomePlug AV spec is good for 200 mbps (Fast Ethernet + full duplex) and there are faster speeds on the horizon.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 09:43:00 am »
The wiring in my nearly 60 yr old house is was really bad for powerline networking.   Most of it will have been replaced when the basement is finished and I'll try again.

Leviathan

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 02:13:57 pm »
We've got this one:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/d-link-wireless-n-router-dir-615/10093527.aspx?path=c10e542131b9aa21f2110f6f3439023aen02

It works quite well.  It's located in the basement, where the wired computer is, along with the Rogers modem.  We have no problem getting a good link anywhere in the house, on both a laptop and iPod touch.  it was pretty easy to get set up too.
I have that one too. I've streamed a lot of Hunter episodes to the PS3 without issue. Although the distance between the PS3 & 615 isn't that great (and no walls) there are tonnes of other wireless networks in the 'hood.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2011, 02:25:52 pm »
I have a house ( 2 story with walkout basement) that was built in 98. The builder ran cat 5 to 5 locations throughout the house ( 2 on the 2nd story, 2 on the main and 1 in the basement). In the furnace room in the basement y I have a cable modem that feeds into a Dlink router and then out into the house. Would a wireless modem reach everywhere in the house. If so I am planning on replacing my old router with a combo one. If wireless will be problematic then can I simply plug a wireless modem in one of the main floor or second story outlets?

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2011, 03:04:42 pm »
Wireless should be fine.  I have a wireless in my basement (2 story home) and it works fine everywhere.  Heck I can go for a walk down the street and it still works.