Author Topic: New Trend?  (Read 1003 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
New Trend?
« on: February 24, 2011, 08:08:40 pm »
In the last few lighting packages I've done, some of the vehicles make/model is either somewhat hidden in the housing (but visible) or on full display in the lense itself.  This isn't a matter of simple part identification.  This is advertising.  It's becoming more common.  I started on a new lighting package for the Ford Taurus, and two small lenses (side markers I believe) have "Ford" and "Taurus" on the other, nearly as big as the lense itself.  And I did a Saab emblem for the grill that lights up completely.  Just wondering if this is some type of new trend (advertising?) that we are about to see from all manufacturers.

What do you guys think?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Online Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12397
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: New Trend?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 08:50:55 pm »
What is it you do with lighting packages?

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 08:56:57 pm »
I think that'd be neat...continuation of using lighting as "jewelry" is the words I've most seen written/spoken.

I recall the Fiero having the Pontiac letters lit up.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 09:08:35 pm »
I think that'd be neat...continuation of using lighting as "jewelry" is the words I've most seen written/spoken.

I recall the Fiero having the Pontiac letters lit up.

Sorta...but not the same. In the Fiero, there is that black surround.  The stuff I'm doing, the words are right into the lense.  The entire lense is red, including the words.  When on, you'd have to look close to see it I think.  Same with the other "hidden" ones we've done recently.  Inside the headlight housing, just below the projection lights is the model name.  Hard to see.  When the lights are one, you can see it because the surface is a "Class A" polished surface, and it almost looks like the name is lighting up.

But I agree..kinda neat.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 09:13:58 pm by rrocket »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 09:18:38 pm »

Jaeger

Everything!!  They drop a 20,000lb block of steel in front of me, and I turn it into the mold for the lens(e).  ;) We cut optics, simulated Fresnel optics, all optics.  Any automotive optics, lens, housings, etc we do. 

If anyone is ever in town, I'd be happy to give you a tour.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 09:24:06 pm »

I did that!  It`s pretty neat...really noisy though...no wonder rrocket doesn`t listen.   ;D

The size of the lights, when you see them off of the cars are HUGE!!!  And the entire light assembly is very complex.

Hey rrocket - question - Historically, the lens had to be circular to reflect the entire beam of light.  With some systems now (and I`m thinking Charger) the lens isn`t a perfect circle.  They cut it off to look `mean`.  Is this possible now because of projector lights, or do you just cut the lens differently?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 09:29:50 pm »

I did that!  It`s pretty neat...really noisy though...no wonder rrocket doesn`t listen.   ;D

The size of the lights, when you see them off of the cars are HUGE!!!  And the entire light assembly is very complex.

Hey rrocket - question - Historically, the lens had to be circular to reflect the entire beam of light.  With some systems now (and I`m thinking Charger) the lens isn`t a perfect circle.  They cut it off to look `mean`.  Is this possible now because of projector lights, or do you just cut the lens differently?

Yea.  We do (and the manufacturer too) refraction tests to determine what the throw and focus of the light will be.  You'll notice now that directly inside the housing (usually chrome color) on newer vehicles there are optics cut right into the housing.  These help throw light.  The curvatures of the lenses, the shape of the housing, optics in the housing and type of bulb all play a role.  There really is no limit anymore to what we can or can't do.  Light pipes are also one of the "next" things I think.

Here's a story on a lense fail.  Remember the Mercury Cougar from the late 90s?  It had a double bubble lense.  It looked good, but not enough testing was done by the manufacturer.  Down south where it got really hot, one of the bubbles would turn into a magnifying glass, and a bunch of the housings were getting melted!!  We did a quick engineering change, and all was well.  But that was a pretty big fail.

Online Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12397
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 09:42:40 pm »

Jaeger

Everything!!  They drop a 20,000lb block of steel in front of me, and I turn it into the mold for the lens(e).  ;) We cut optics, simulated Fresnel optics, all optics.  Any automotive optics, lens, housings, etc we do. 

Cool.  8)

Jaeger

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 09:44:36 pm »
I got a tour - cool :censor:.

I also got to see the Fiesta taillights before anyone else  :P

And the Euro LED Camaro lights IIRC...

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 09:59:02 pm »

What company?

Its too bad you're not on the engineering end, because I'd ask you to produce better lighting. If there is on thing lacking in most cars its better lighting.

The BMW had great lighting for an entry level car and the Porsche has phenomenal lighting. My Honda's lighting is pathetic and the Ford Fusion I rented, was just as bad.
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 08:54:22 am »
Are you talking headlights or taillights?  I remember reading about two other vehicles having this as well (but can't for the life of me remember which ones).  I definetly think it is a trend of the future.  I don't see the marketing point behind it, but I am sure there is some meaning behind it.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 09:14:07 am »
..can U pick out the real Import Queen & Rrocket.... ???......
Time is to stop everything happening at once