Author Topic: Anyone worried about the price of gas?  (Read 16899 times)

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone worried about the price of gas?
« Reply #140 on: February 27, 2011, 08:17:09 pm »
More money on gas, means less for beer and sin stuff.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 27, 2011, 08:25:20 pm »
Toronto in terms of transportation infrastructure is pretty terrible.

Don't worry though they'll add some bike lanes. ::)
What wrong with bike lanes  ???

Its a political thing, they put them in ridiculous spots to further congest already congested traffic (removes a car lane).
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #142 on: February 27, 2011, 11:14:26 pm »

Its a political thing, they put them in ridiculous spots to further congest already congested traffic (removes a car lane).

Where should they put the bike lanes then?

If gas keeps going up, us bikes might be taking over more car lanes in the future. ;)

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 28, 2011, 12:30:58 pm »

Where should they put the bike lanes then?

If gas keeps going up, us bikes might be taking over more car lanes in the future. ;)

Want to know what the infrastructure will look like with higher gas prices? Look at large European cities. Smaller cars, more transit, more accessibility for bikes/pedestrians. We are just about the only culture that thinks a 70-minute round-trip commute is 'normal', which is why our idea of gas and gas prices is a little skewed.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #144 on: March 01, 2011, 01:01:41 pm »
My personal way to deal with the price of gas is to live close to where I work. 

But I don't want to live in Napanee  :(

It's hard to do sometimes.  My wife goes downtown to work which is in the exact opposite direction from. For her it's 20-25 minutes, 15km.  I drive 30km in about the same time, mostly 401. A move in either direction would not affect fuel costs.

My wife could do much of her work from home but they don't really allow that, they want a body at a desk.

Thus far the cost of fuel hasn't been much of a consideration.  It might be a larger factor than it has been in the past when picking our next main vehicle to replace the Subaru when the time comes.
Mr Pickypants

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #145 on: March 01, 2011, 02:03:20 pm »
Get an actuary to do the Math.....................how much earned vs how much spent (include car & brain wear and tear)................everyone make their own choices (OR SO THEY THINK).....it's basically Status quo..................till they drop dead....................different strokes& heart attacks ..... :think: :surrend: :light:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #146 on: March 01, 2011, 03:19:57 pm »
More seriously,  it is a bad news for our economy...

In the short run, absolutely.  You're right in that as income is diverted to gasoline sales, it hurts other businesses.  Oil companies would beg to differ in that they say that increased activity in their sector offsets the pain in others, but I feel that is false.  Another side effect of higher gas prices is the burden on low income families, as it essentially works as a regressive tax.

Long term, higher prices might work to out benefit.  We might increase the spending on the search for alternative energy sources.  Clean, renewable energy would be a boon to economic activity in the long term.  A friend of mine is an engineer that works in the wind energy business, and he is enjoying a great deal of success in the last few years, and there seems no end in sight.  Some interesting insights though, in that wind energy is severely limited by the lack of grid infrastructure, thanks to the lack on investment in the last 20 years.  So much emphasis has been on privatization that there has been no reason to build large capacity transmission to places that are windy.  On a coal seam?  Sure.  We can't rely on the private sector to change directions.

Another possible long term benefit to high gasoline costs is increased demand for effective mass transit.  I can't speak to other cities, but in Edmonton, getting anywhere other than down three main corridors is virtually impossible, or at best takes hours of travel instead of a 20-30min drive.  Our transit system is poor thanks to the continued supply of cheap gasoline.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #147 on: March 01, 2011, 03:47:53 pm »
I have lived in London and spent much time in Paris. Both cities have, in their different ways, very good mass transit.  London has a complex subway system as does Paris. They both have many many bus routes.
Paris wins because the commuter rail system, the RER, is fully integrated as the RER trains can and do use subway tracks to get across the city.   London has an enormous commuter rail system stretching out 100 kms in any direction but it is only partially integrated.   Both cities have commuter rail/subways to the main airport but Paris just wins as the main line TGV has a station there as well.

HOWEVER.   In both cases this is paid for by the national governments of the countries. One could not expect Ontario for example to build a system that is as complex, but 1/4 scale ( population) as Paris or London. provincial governments just do not have the resources...like taxing power... to do this.

My 80% serious solution would be:  Get rid of the Provincial Governments. Declare Toronto and Montreal to be joint national capitals. Spend some serious money on both places.  Divide up any money left over between the other cities.    :hide: :run:
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 01, 2011, 03:51:59 pm »
More seriously,  it is a bad news for our economy. Because the more we spend at the pump the less we spend on something else.  My personal way to deal with the price of gas is to live close to where I work. 

Living close to work isn't going to help you pay the increased prices for the goods you buy.  Consumers will bear the brunt of higher materials and transportation costs associated with higher oil prices. 

Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #149 on: March 01, 2011, 04:05:02 pm »
..It's about the much vaunted "LIFE STYLE".....less time inna tin Box gettin' enraged,late,accidents,fog,weather.....accidents fog weather...accidents fog weather...wear and tear on the olde synapses.....capice...............Food as we have seen can be cheaply placed before us with a little joy....NO good Mom and Dad coming in shagged out @ 7pm....NO FUN IN DAT........give up some "toys' and enjoy the boys & girls and life .....man that Salvia is something ELSE...... :D :P..............

robdig

« Reply #150 on: March 02, 2011, 11:57:38 am »
After living in Europe for 12 years, and now back in Canada, it still surprises me  about the lack of high speed mass transit (eg. YYZ airport to downtown) we have here.  High gas prices are here to stay.  I don't think this is a short term blip.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 02, 2011, 02:00:25 pm »
Toronto is a WORLD CLASS CITY.............in INDIA.... :rofl:

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #152 on: March 02, 2011, 06:46:07 pm »
After living in Europe for 12 years, and now back in Canada, it still surprises me  about the lack of high speed mass transit (eg. YYZ airport to downtown) we have here.  High gas prices are here to stay.  I don't think this is a short term blip.

they have only been talking about it for 20 years that is the rush

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 02, 2011, 06:55:09 pm »

Odds of that high speed training happening in my life time is like the Leafs winning the Stanley Cup.  :)

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #154 on: March 02, 2011, 07:16:33 pm »
My money is on the train....
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #155 on: March 02, 2011, 07:18:38 pm »
My 80% serious solution would be:  Get rid of the Provincial Governments. Declare Toronto and Montreal to be joint national capitals. Spend some serious money on both places.  Divide up any money left over between the other cities.    :hide: :run:

Transfer Alberta money to Ontario and Quebec. Yep, never heard that one before  :D

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 02, 2011, 07:37:49 pm »

they have only been talking about it for 20 years that is the rush
They are getting close now BUT.
The usual suspects are whining about the extra trains ( diesels) going through Weston.
The Gov says the will electrify that line but they say a 2 year study is required first. 2 Freaking years to  STUDY the electrification about 30kms of railway.  No wonder there has been no new infrastructure for 20 years
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 07:44:02 pm by tpl »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 02, 2011, 07:42:40 pm »

Odds of that high speed training happening in my life time is like the Leafs winning the Stanley Cup.  :)

They keep talking about a TGV Windsor-Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal-Quebec City.  I have a suspicion that every time it comes up they do a traffic survey. They find that:
a) It would be MUCH cheaper to build some better expressways but politically they dare not say that.
b) All four of the people who said they'd use the train died a few years ago of old age.

So the surveys never get published and it goes quiet again for a few years.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 02, 2011, 07:45:55 pm »

Transfer Alberta money to Ontario and Quebec. Yep, never heard that one before  :D
And why do you think I used those particular smileys.   ;)

Actually the money saved by closing Ottawa and selling it off to Disney would pay.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #159 on: March 03, 2011, 12:34:25 am »
dammit.  just filled up my tank, $1.249 per liter.   :(  >:(  :o  for premium at petro.

wanted to go shell this time, but was running outta time.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D