Author Topic: Anyone worried about the price of gas?  (Read 16888 times)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Re: Anyone worried about the price of gas?
« Reply #120 on: February 27, 2011, 08:31:54 am »
..I'm oiling ! 20W/50 UP my garage sale 10 speed racer as we speak...................Kumbaya ...Raleigh @ the corner and chant.........the oil prices chart is out of date already Canada is no longer &0.95 cents a litre   $1.20 and rising with the Qaddafi tide... :'(
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #121 on: February 27, 2011, 08:39:44 am »
..I'm oiling ! 20W/50 UP my garage sale 10 speed racer as we speak...................Kumbaya ...Raleigh @ the corner and chant.........the oil prices chart is out of date already Canada is no longer &0.95 cents a litre   $1.20 and rising with the Qaddafi tide... :'(

I thought this was your bike

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #122 on: February 27, 2011, 08:42:53 am »
that's my WORK bike....for pickin' Up empties roadside...........the other is My Sport chick magnet machina............ ;D

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #123 on: February 27, 2011, 02:11:59 pm »
Ration gas. Everybody gets coupons for x number of gallons/wk. If you want more - you buy coupons from those that are driving fuel efficient cars and have surplus coupons. Same as companies and countries are doing with pollution.

Which would require another unwanted government department to issue vehicle owners coupons sent how  ???   ..... in the mail  ???  OR do you spend a day in a 10 hour line up at a Service Ontario site with your ID.  The amount of mail theft, counterfeiting and governmental corruption would be phenomenal.  Inter provincial vehicle travel would cease.

Pump price will be the mechanism that rations gas.

If it comes to shortages ppl living in suburbia, particularly with kids, are gonna see the value of their real estate crash and burn because suburbia is all about the car.  Gasoline bills for suburban 2 car active families is an easy $200 a week.  Increase that to $600 per week and that is really gonna take the mustard out of suburban life.

$200 a week in gas? Are you nuts? What type of suburb are you talking about 100 km away? I live in a "suburb" and our family vehicles are a G8 Gt and a V8 LR3 and my gas bill is nowhere near $200. Usually under $100 by a good margin. ???
Artic is most likely talking about the deep suburbs of Toronto where people can and do commute 60 km each way in stop and go traffic.  Places like Newmarket, Burlington, Oshawa  or even further.    At 10l/100 ( in that sort of traffic) that can be easily $70-80/week each car last week and more this week.

Why anyone would choose the lifestyle to sit in a car in traffic for a good chunk of their life is beyond me. Why?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 27, 2011, 02:18:09 pm »
Ration gas. Everybody gets coupons for x number of gallons/wk. If you want more - you buy coupons from those that are driving fuel efficient cars and have surplus coupons. Same as companies and countries are doing with pollution.

Which would require another unwanted government department to issue vehicle owners coupons sent how  ???   ..... in the mail  ???  OR do you spend a day in a 10 hour line up at a Service Ontario site with your ID.  The amount of mail theft, counterfeiting and governmental corruption would be phenomenal.  Inter provincial vehicle travel would cease.

Pump price will be the mechanism that rations gas.

If it comes to shortages ppl living in suburbia, particularly with kids, are gonna see the value of their real estate crash and burn because suburbia is all about the car.  Gasoline bills for suburban 2 car active families is an easy $200 a week.  Increase that to $600 per week and that is really gonna take the mustard out of suburban life.

$200 a week in gas? Are you nuts? What type of suburb are you talking about 100 km away? I live in a "suburb" and our family vehicles are a G8 Gt and a V8 LR3 and my gas bill is nowhere near $200. Usually under $100 by a good margin. ???
Artic is most likely talking about the deep suburbs of Toronto where people can and do commute 60 km each way in stop and go traffic.  Places like Newmarket, Burlington, Oshawa  or even further.    At 10l/100 ( in that sort of traffic) that can be easily $70-80/week each car last week and more this week.

Why anyone would choose the lifestyle to sit in a car in traffic for a good chunk of their life is beyond me. Why?

Have you seen the brown sky over the GTA ?

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #125 on: February 27, 2011, 02:43:20 pm »

Because Toronto is one of the not all that many places in Canada where the jobs are.     A Job here defined as a skilled or professional job that is NOT working for any of the levels of Government.

Many people cannot afford to live in TO. Equally as many don't want to live in the city.  Therefore they commute from dormitory suburbs, usually based around places that were probably pleasant small towns in the '60s and before.  ( FWIW Guelph is just too far to commute to TO and this improves at as a place to live enormously)
 TO is bounded by a lake so all the traffic ( road or rail) has to enter within a 270 degree arc. For all kinds of bad(=stupid) political reasons there are few roads and fewer commuter trains. So all those people living in the 'burbs have a ghastly commute.   Some recent media article stated that TO 'burb dwellers have an average 88 minute commute and that was the worst in NA including LA.

KTM you don't tell us where "c" is but I presume it is some idyllic small town in Lotus Land.

Airb.  It IS much, much better than it was in the '90s before they took the sulphur out of gas and diesel
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 02:45:26 pm by tpl »
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #126 on: February 27, 2011, 03:19:57 pm »
I suppose ppl outside of the St. Catherines/Hamilton/Cambridge/KW/Caledon/Barrie/Oshawa circle of DOOM have little understanding of the degree of commuting that is done in southern Ontario or the sheer volume of traffic 7 days a week that has besieged the area.

When I mentioned $200 per week or 1/ 1/2 tanks of gas per car (2 car family), I was being conservative.

What a horrible situation to be in.  Watching any surplus cash you have been devoured by gas prices all the while been unable to move out of suburbia for financial and family reasons.  The one thing that made suburbia work was cheap and fast access.  Remove that and it's more akin to a debtor's prison. 

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #127 on: February 27, 2011, 03:32:25 pm »
TPL, I think you would be surprised the number of ppl in KW/Cambridge/Guelph that commute to Hamilton, Mississauga, Brampton.  Outbound 401 Mississauga can be plugged to highway 6 from 4pm forward.  Toronto QEW outbound plugged to Hamilton 3pm forward.

4pm from Bay Street outbound to 427   1 hour.

When I'm in TO I won't consider hitting the Gardner/QEW west until 7:30 pm.  DVP/404 .... don;t even think about it.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 27, 2011, 03:57:26 pm »
TPL, I think you would be surprised the number of ppl in KW/Cambridge/Guelph that commute to Hamilton, Mississauga, Brampton.  Outbound 401 Mississauga can be plugged to highway 6 from 4pm forward.  Toronto QEW outbound plugged to Hamilton 3pm forward.

4pm from Bay Street outbound to 427   1 hour.

When I'm in TO I won't consider hitting the Gardner/QEW west until 7:30 pm.  DVP/404 .... don;t even think about it.

No I wouldn't be surprised. Those trips  are a world of difference from having to to the Gardner or DVP  as you correctly say or the 401 across the city itself. I have done all those trips both morning and evening rush hour so I know what you mean.

My commute was from downtown TO to 404 & Buttonville   and back in the afternoon... the easy way and it often took an hour coming home for 26 km.   In the morning in the dark at 6:45 one could see solid slow southbound traffic north on the 404 ( looking from the little hill at 7) nearly all the way to Newmarket . That was 4 1/2 years back and its probably worse now.

That's why I agreed with your post that KTM did not believe.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 27, 2011, 03:59:39 pm »
Just another reason I hate TO.  The traffic is just awful. 

I love living where there is zero traffic. 
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #130 on: February 27, 2011, 04:06:03 pm »
Just another reason I hate TO.  The traffic is just awful. 

I love living where there is zero traffic. 

Agree.  I am fortunate that my daily commute is walking down a flight of stairs to my office, but there is no way I would want to commute in bumper to bumper traffic each day.  No thank you. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #131 on: February 27, 2011, 04:26:21 pm »
Wow. I feel for you guys. I live in a "sort of" suburb (still in the city limits but subdivision style (1/3-1/2 acre lots single family homes etc along the river) I'm about 8-10 minutes to uptown.

Small cities in the boonies do have some advantages. ;D
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 27, 2011, 04:31:46 pm »
Wow. I feel for you guys. I live in a "sort of" suburb (still in the city limits but subdivision style (1/3-1/2 acre lots single family homes etc along the river) I'm about 8-10 minutes to uptown.

+1.  I live about 40kms from Windsor, so about 30 minutes away.  But I'm 15 minutes away from a couple of small towns that have everything one might need. (Sobey's, CDN Tire, Timmie's, restaurants, fast food, etc).

Living away from the city is just awesome.  IQ who lived in the city before here, can't believe she lived in the city for so long.  She loves it out here...as do I.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #133 on: February 27, 2011, 04:35:17 pm »

LOL, it sure does!  And we live in the largest city in NB too!   ;D

I am actually outside of the city in the Hammond River area.  Four acres of waterfront land right on the river.  I love it!

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #134 on: February 27, 2011, 05:16:47 pm »

When that company in TO called me regarding employment, the call lasted about 20 seconds on my part. I politely said, "no thank you". Besides, they'd have to pay me 4X what I am making to make it worth the aggravation, and even then.  :nono:
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 27, 2011, 05:29:33 pm »
Whereas I really like living in the big city. But:  I was right downtown but on a quite residential street ( within hearing distance of the druggies shooting each other) and I commuted OUT of the city.

Guelph is OK now I have retired... a nice mid size town with, because of the uni, all the services one requires...but it is a bit quiet for me. I don't think our street has ever had a murder.

FWIW we lived in central London before we came to Canada so the traffic and the drivers in TO are nothing much to worry about.  ;)

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 27, 2011, 06:42:39 pm »
Toronto in terms of transportation infrastructure is pretty terrible.

Don't worry though they'll add some bike lanes. ::)
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 27, 2011, 06:52:27 pm »

Toronto in terms of most anything is pretty terrible...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 27, 2011, 07:49:27 pm »

Don't worry though they'll add some bike lanes. ::)
What wrong with bike lanes  ???

Offline saint_satan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 27, 2011, 07:55:03 pm »
I can't count the number of opportunities I've passed up downtown.  I'd have to make a minimum of $20K more a year before I would even consider it.  At this point I drive 20 minutes and my wife 12.  If climbing the ladder means a 2.5 - 3 hour commute for me, I'll pass.

I could take the extra 10 -15 hours a week I'm not commuting and work at the local library and I would net the same amount as a "big promotion" - with half the stress.  If I could convince the wife, my next step would be to move to Bancroft or Cochrane.

SS