Author Topic: Anyone worried about the price of gas?  (Read 16891 times)

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone worried about the price of gas?
« Reply #100 on: February 26, 2011, 01:22:37 pm »
The higher the price of fossil fuels ,the more we may divert back to local again. Maybe shipping  something from China by boat will become too expensive. We could produce it here like we did in the past. Who knows. ;)

And the sooner the better IMHO. We somehow managed just fine before we started bringing in mega-shiploads of cheap consumer crap from China. Almost everything we needed, from food to clothes and cars, even electronics was made right here in Canada. My first stereo and TV were Electrohome units made in Canada and they were as good as anything on the market.  We have all the resources we need and then some, all we're lacking is incentive and will.
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #101 on: February 26, 2011, 01:32:13 pm »
And cheap wages.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #102 on: February 26, 2011, 01:50:27 pm »
The higher the price of fossil fuels ,the more we may divert back to local again. Maybe shipping  something from China by boat will become too expensive. We could produce it here like we did in the past. Who knows. ;)
That would be good.   Maybe the EPA should impose car type emission controls on container ships ?
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 26, 2011, 01:57:46 pm »
And cheap wages.

We won't have to compete with their cheap wages when it becomes too expensive for the Chinese to ship their garbage here. It's just a matter of time.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #104 on: February 26, 2011, 02:12:06 pm »
If you believe that oil will continue to climb in price this makes for interesting reading.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/books/article1148668.ece
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline saint_satan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 26, 2011, 02:31:51 pm »
I'm probably fighting a losing battle but buying Canadian is a key consideration.  Both my cars are built in Ontario.  When buying a home entertainment system, I bought PSB speakers (made in Pickering Ontario, I think).

The challenge is there are very few things made here anymore and your choice can be pretty limited on certain things.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 26, 2011, 03:45:12 pm »
If you believe that oil will continue to climb in price this makes for interesting reading.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/books/article1148668.ece

I have read this.  Regardless of the points he makes, as a writer of English prose he should probably not give up his day job.

Offline my2cents

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-40
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Rav4 AWD
« Reply #107 on: February 26, 2011, 05:13:02 pm »

Oil future guesses are a prediction on the supply and demand in a couple of months in the future - supposedly.

Therefore the prediction was that there would be a 50% drop in demand since production wasn't an issue. That must be true because the price was cut in half.

The unemployment rate in the U.S. went from what? 7% to 12%? Even if it was 20% worldwide - you would have to assume that they all owned cars and that they all quit driving altogether. When actually - many collected unemployment and continued to drive - but not as much.

Even if there was a 20% decrease in demand - oil would still be around $120/barrel back then.

Trucks, boats, trains and planes still did most of their hauling for the 90% of customers that were still working, eating, buying goods. Even the unemployed were still buying goods.

Walmart and dollar stores saw a big increase in sales - so more boat-loads from China - not less.

Today - OPEC has already said they increased production to cover any loss and I notice a few million people in the mid-east that aren't driving at all. The unemployment situation hasn't change much in the last couple of years. Shouldn't demand be going down?

I have a solution.

Ration gas. Everybody gets coupons for x number of gallons/wk. If you want more - you buy coupons from those that are driving fuel efficient cars and have surplus coupons. Same as companies and countries are doing with pollution.

That way - those that conserve make money from those that don't. Make it worthwhile.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 26, 2011, 05:24:04 pm »
Ration gas. Everybody gets coupons for x number of gallons/wk. If you want more - you buy coupons from those that are driving fuel efficient cars and have surplus coupons. Same as companies and countries are doing with pollution.
Why would we in Canada ration gas?  We have enough conventional crude for many years, enough oil sands oil for at least a century or so and if all else fails we could make synthetic gasoline from coal. And that is not allowing for Arctic oil that is not found yet.

Should we have fuel economy standards that cover trucks, buses, trains even power stations. Yes.   Should we turn over the fleet faster to get more vehicles to the better economy standards faster. Probably yes.

Offline saint_satan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 26, 2011, 06:24:33 pm »
tpl:

Makes sense but we, in Canada, are the only country without an energy strategy.  Any government that has tried risked tearing the country apart.  The (sad) reality is that we will give our energy away until their is not enough left for us.

SS

Offline my2cents

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-40
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Rav4 AWD
« Reply #110 on: February 26, 2011, 06:27:48 pm »
It's the glutton next door I'm thinking about.

I think due to NAFTA that we have to sell to the U.S. for the same price that we buy it for. Even though it's usually always cheaper in the U.S.

So whatever we have goes to the U.S. The more we pump the more they get.

I think we supply about 20% of the U.S. demand - second only to Saudi Arabia.

You would also get a break since we have a "surplus". But that isn't to be.

It's interesting what the prices are elsewhere -

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/ene_gas_pri-energy-gasoline-prices

I wish I could cross-border shop in Turkmenistan.

But since environmentalist want $10/gal gas to force us all to conserve and are actively pushing it - I would rather see a method where we get a kickback instead of the government or the oil companies. Even the homeless could make a few dollars.

I'm sure if we all drove Prius's that gas would be $20/gallon to compensate for the oil companies losses.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #111 on: February 26, 2011, 06:29:42 pm »
A Prius isn't even that efficient, try a small diesel hatchback like they have been driving in Europe for years.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 26, 2011, 07:12:56 pm »
Quoting via Blackberry (my2cents):
"Therefore the prediction was that there would be a 50% drop in demand since production wasn't an issue. That must be true because the price was cut in half."

You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about, and you should stop.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline davidy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 26, 2011, 08:16:53 pm »
Filled up my truck yesterday morning at $1.159/L for regular. By the afternoon, most pumps were up to $1.239/L. Probably will be $1.50 or more in the summer. Not much we can if we are slaves to our vehicles. Won't be doing many long trips this summer (didn't do many before; even less now).

Dave
2010 Ford Ranger FX4
Armaguard spray on liner
Truxedo Low Pro QT tonneau cover
Studded General Altimax Arctic P245/75-16 winter tires on black steelies

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #114 on: February 26, 2011, 08:22:55 pm »

Which would require another unwanted government department to issue vehicle owners coupons sent how  ???   ..... in the mail  ???  OR do you spend a day in a 10 hour line up at a Service Ontario site with your ID.  The amount of mail theft, counterfeiting and governmental corruption would be phenomenal.  Inter provincial vehicle travel would cease.

Pump price will be the mechanism that rations gas.

If it comes to shortages ppl living in suburbia, particularly with kids, are gonna see the value of their real estate crash and burn because suburbia is all about the car.  Gasoline bills for suburban 2 car active families is an easy $200 a week.  Increase that to $600 per week and that is really gonna take the mustard out of suburban life.

Offline duck

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +7/-157
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Scion xB
« Reply #115 on: February 26, 2011, 09:28:40 pm »
I almost got a heart attack when I pulled up at the pump.  I guess I should have know better since oil had gone up quite a bit.  DUH!!!!! :-[

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #116 on: February 26, 2011, 11:37:18 pm »

Which would require another unwanted government department to issue vehicle owners coupons sent how  ???   ..... in the mail  ???  OR do you spend a day in a 10 hour line up at a Service Ontario site with your ID.  The amount of mail theft, counterfeiting and governmental corruption would be phenomenal.  Inter provincial vehicle travel would cease.

If it comes to shortages ppl living in suburbia, particularly with kids, are gonna see the value of their real estate crash and burn because suburbia is all about the car.  Gasoline bills for suburban 2 car active families is an easy $200 a week.  Increase that to $600 per week and that is really gonna take the mustard out of suburban life.

$200 a week in gas? Are you nuts? What type of suburb are you talking about 100 km away? I live in a "suburb" and our family vehicles are a G8 Gt and a V8 LR3 and my gas bill is nowhere near $200. Usually under $100 by a good margin. ???

vdk

« Reply #117 on: February 27, 2011, 02:45:53 am »
One car costs me a little less than a tank of gas per week. And I live in the city and don't have to drive to work.

I go for stress relieving drives though. :)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 27, 2011, 06:20:20 am »

$200 a week in gas? Are you nuts? What type of suburb are you talking about 100 km away? I live in a "suburb" and our family vehicles are a G8 Gt and a V8 LR3 and my gas bill is nowhere near $200. Usually under $100 by a good margin. ???
Artic is most likely talking about the deep suburbs of Toronto where people can and do commute 60 km each way in stop and go traffic.  Places like Newmarket, Burlington, Oshawa  or even further.    At 10l/100 ( in that sort of traffic) that can be easily $70-80/week each car last week and more this week.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #119 on: February 27, 2011, 07:17:41 am »
Wow!
I know what bucket this thread is headed. ::)
Railton

:)

Higher oil price no cause for alarm: Flaherty

What an idiot.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/economy/higher-oil-price-no-cause-for-alarm-flaherty/article1921338/

Most politicians and upper level management are.
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.