Author Topic: Anyone worried about the price of gas?  (Read 16910 times)

vdk

Re: Anyone worried about the price of gas?
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2011, 05:40:31 pm »
What would life be like without an index for everything.. ;D

http://www.economist.com/blogs/multimedia/2011/02/unrest_arab_world

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2011, 05:41:31 pm »
Property taxes!!  My taxes have gone from ~$160/month to nearly $500/month.  It's forcing the seniors out of my neighbourhood.  This is mostly thanks to the provincial government downloading expenditures onto the municipal government, creating an increasing regressive tax.

Gasoline is the second highest operating cost of an automobile, so choosing a fuel efficient vehicle is one of the best ways to reduce long term costs.  Even though we lack the wonderful choices available to many other consumers around the globe, we do have a great selection of cars that achieve startling good fuel economy.  It's even becoming possible to buy some pretty luxurious or sporting models with either hybrid or smaller four cylinder drivelines.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2011, 05:45:30 pm »
I have never bought a car because of fuel economy as the primary motivator and I doubt I ever will. I drive something like 45-50,000 km per year, so paying for gas is just part of the deal.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2011, 05:57:33 pm »
Property taxes!!  My taxes have gone from ~$160/month to nearly $500/month.  It's forcing the seniors out of my neighbourhood.  This is mostly thanks to the provincial government downloading expenditures onto the municipal government, creating an increasing regressive tax.
As a newly minted senior citizen I'd rather pay property taxes than Federal taxes. Unlike many of my co-citizens of Guelph I think I get good value from property taxes RELATIVE to Federal taxes.    Guelph doesn't run foreign wars. Doesn't spend on equalization payments to name but two boondoggles.    I admit I get CPP and OAS from the Feds and they, I suppose, would rescue me if I got stuck in some foreign place but that's about it.
FWIW I am neutral on provincial taxes as they do pay for health and education.

I don't really have a problem with the price of gasoline. Mainly I suppose 'cos I don't have to commute and can manage my use of it.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2011, 06:13:25 pm »
I have never bought a car because of fuel economy as the primary motivator and I doubt I ever will. I drive something like 45-50,000 km per year, so paying for gas is just part of the deal.

But since you use your car for work, you get to write those expenses off....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2011, 06:31:33 pm »

Well, exclusive gated communities are expensive... :rofl2:

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2011, 07:26:54 pm »
A few comments

1. This price spike was inevitable. :) Just part of a long upward secular trend for oil prices.

2. I'm loaded for bear (no pun intended) on oil and other commodities.

3. Here in North America, we have it easy. WTI is about $15/bbl under Brent in the first few contracts.

4. The stuff is still dirt cheap. $1.20 CAD pays for someone to find it, someone to drill a hole, bribes to be paid, wars to be fought, a rig to be set, safety equipment to be bought and implemented, workers to be hired and trained and employed, just to get it out of the ground. And then you have to put it on a huge boat and ship it half way across the world, where its refined, QC'd, then transported to tens of thousands of conveniently located filling stations, where its stored again in huge underground vats and pumped into your car at your leisure. All the while you pay huge taxes on the gasoline directly along with all the indirect taxes / royalties all the way up the stream. And the gas station operator still needs to pay to keep his lights on. The stuff is cheaper than Coca Cola and a million times more useful.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 07:30:19 pm by mmret »
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2011, 08:00:54 pm »
As a newly minted senior citizen I'd rather pay property taxes than Federal taxes.

x1000

When the FEDS profit from every increase in the price of gas, ya know we is facked.  The only silver lining in all of this is that if oil goes to $150. a barrel fast, along with the subsequent increase in gas prices, together with the inevitable economic meltdown, the same morons that voted Harper in over the 2% GST cut will be the ones that kick him out.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2011, 08:21:51 pm »
I've already paid $2.35 per liter years ago...long before any "crisis", so whats a $1.20?

What us sheep ought to do is ask government how exactly "we" benefit from all our oil sales in the tar sands.

What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2011, 11:21:41 pm »
I agree, I used to spend over £600 a month on fuel in the UK, it's cheap here!

In my future there will be a very cheap to run daily driver, and a very expensive to run weekend car. That's the way forward for me.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

vdk

« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2011, 11:27:20 pm »
That's the way I see it too. A hybrid for around town and A-B, an older M5 for fun and a bike for sunny days.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2011, 11:36:36 pm »
That's the way I see it too. A hybrid for around town and A-B, an older M5 for fun and a bike for sunny days.

I was gonna go to extremes. Nissan Leaf and Dodge Viper!

But I think I'll end up more, Ford Focus and Ferrari 348.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2011, 11:38:45 pm »

348, eh?  I'd opt for the 355.....or if I wanted to bring the kiddies, a 456 GT.   ;)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2011, 11:39:47 pm »

348, eh?  I'd opt for the 355.....or if I wanted to bring the kiddies, a 456 GT.   ;)

I have to start somewhere.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2011, 11:43:39 pm »

I have to start somewhere.

I'm just saying a 355 is only slightly more used than a 348.....So the premium may be worth it for sanity and future bank account health.  :)

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2011, 12:25:10 am »
Let me ask another more hypothetical question. Let's say that one day the oil companies are forced to tell us where the oil used to make our gasoline actually comes from - you know, like manufacturers have to tell us where our food is grown and where all of our consumer goods are made. You're driving down the road and notice you're running out of gas. There are two gas stations ahead, one selling gas from some repressive, dictatorial middle eastern regime like Libya at $1 a liter. The other one sells gas from right here at home, but it costs $1.50. What would you do?
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2011, 12:32:55 am »
Let me ask another more hypothetical question. Let's say that one day the oil companies are forced to tell us where the oil used to make our gasoline actually comes from - you know, like manufacturers have to tell us where our food is grown and where all of our consumer goods are made. You're driving down the road and notice you're running out of gas. There are two gas stations ahead, one selling gas from some repressive, dictatorial middle eastern regime like Libya at $1 a liter. The other one sells gas from right here at home, but it costs $1.50. What would you do?

How about we just save our oil for ourselves so WE can have cheap gas? 

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2011, 12:40:53 am »
The price is going to spike for a bit and then likely to settle down but it will always be inching upward. The supply is pretty much tapped out at the current maximum level according to what I've read. So combine that with increasing demand means the price will go up and we know that were either near or slightly past the peak in terms of oil production so it will be getting more expensive in the future. Slowly, with spikes, but slowly going up.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2011, 12:42:20 am »
The price is going to spike for a bit and then likely to settle down but it will always be inching upward. The supply is pretty much tapped out at the current maximum level according to what I've read. So combine that with increasing demand means the price will go up and we know that were either near or slightly past the peak in terms of oil production so it will be getting more expensive in the future. Slowly, with spikes, but slowly going up.

But Canada is a "net export" oil country.  95%+ of our export go to the USA.  If we didn't send out oil there when things flare up in the world, we could have plenty for us to continue having dirt cheap gasoline. (at least that's what we'd hope)

vdk

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2011, 02:10:21 am »
The stuff is still dirt cheap. $1.20 CAD pays for someone to find it, someone to drill a hole, bribes to be paid, wars to be fought, a rig to be set, safety equipment to be bought and implemented, workers to be hired and trained and employed, just to get it out of the ground. And then you have to put it on a huge boat and ship it half way across the world, where its refined, QC'd, then transported to tens of thousands of conveniently located filling stations, where its stored again in huge underground vats and pumped into your car at your leisure. All the while you pay huge taxes on the gasoline directly along with all the indirect taxes / royalties all the way up the stream. And the gas station operator still needs to pay to keep his lights on. The stuff is cheaper than Coca Cola and a million times more useful.

And still bring massive profits in for all companies involved. So is it really cheap? What's the mark-up I'm curious...