Author Topic: Anyone worried about the price of gas?  (Read 16873 times)

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
Anyone worried about the price of gas?
« on: February 24, 2011, 02:55:25 pm »
With the unprecedented popular uprisings in the Mideast, it looks like we're in for yet another 'energy crisis'. A commentator on CBC a couple of mornings ago said that we shouldn't be surprised to see prices go to $1.50 per liter by the summer and even more if this 'unrest' spreads to Saudi Arabia. If that happens 1973 will seem like a cake-walk.

This raises a whole bunch of questions about whether we care where our oil comes from or the long-term ramifications of supporting monsters like Gadhafi and his ilk. We don't seem to give a rat's ass what they do to anyone else including their own people as long as they keep the taps open and leave us alone. The cost at the pump is all most people care about.  :(

« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 03:11:05 pm by Schmengie »
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Re: Anyone worried about the price of gas?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 03:01:58 pm »
HST, I hate you!  It is $1.12 in Mont-Tremblant yet $1.20 in Ottawa this makes ZERO sense. 

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 03:08:58 pm »
HST, I hate you!  It is $1.12 in Mont-Tremblant yet $1.20 in Ottawa this makes ZERO sense. 

$1.12 is going to seem like the good old days in the very near future. I just heard on the news that it's hit $1.30+ in Montreal this morning and $1.25 in Vancouver. I don't know what the price is here today but yesterday it was $1.15.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 03:10:53 pm »
I'm reconsidering my desire to move to the countryside.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 03:18:56 pm »
Still content with my Hemi equipped 300C purchase. They have been predicting doom and gloom in gas prices for as long as I can remember. Nothing new here.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 03:21:29 pm »
Best strategy to protect against the cost of gasoline is by investing in some oil and gas producers.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 03:29:59 pm »
We'll just keep on driving our tremendously fuel efficient Corolla.

Ironically, in Alberta, as the price of oil rises (and has been >$80 for quite some time) the provincial government seems to be going bankrupt and oil companies are posting massive record profits.  Nice.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 03:36:16 pm »

Ironically, in Alberta, as the price of oil rises (and has been >$80 for quite some time) the provincial government seems to be going bankrupt and oil companies are posting massive record profits.  Nice.

You want your fair share?  ;D Don't forget the majority of the production in Alberta is natural gas and the price is currently in the basement. Alberta natural gas royalty stream is waaaaaaaaay down. Also most middle gravity Alberta crude goes for less than $80. More like $65.

The Alberta Government has a spending problem. They spend more per capita on health and education than any of the other Provinces. Don't forget we need to pay for Quebec's universal subsidized daycare too via transfer payments. ;)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 03:47:16 pm »
Not concerned yet. I remember paying around $1.40/L for regular during the last spike in prices (3 years ago?) and managed to get through that ok plus the GTi gets better fuel economy than the Mazda6 I had back then.

My monthly gas consumption is only 1 tank + any trips I do that month.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 03:47:52 pm »
........WOT HE WORRY..................
Time is to stop everything happening at once

vdk

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 03:48:44 pm »

You want your fair share?  ;D Don't forget the majority of the production in Alberta is natural gas and the price is currently in the basement. Alberta natural gas royalty stream is waaaaaaaaay down. Also most middle gravity Alberta crude goes for less than $80. More like $65.

The Alberta Government has a spending problem. They spend more per capita on health and education than any of the other Provinces. Don't forget we need to pay for Quebec's universal subsidized daycare too via transfer payments. ;)

Meh.. Ontario's been paying other provinces for how long...

Offline dash

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Acura RLX hybrid
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 03:57:10 pm »
Dreaming here, maybe the Feds and provinces could put a fixed tax (pst gst hst) amount included price of gas. There is little motivation for them to do this unless price is so high the economy starts to stagnate.
"Why be quiet, and thought a fool, when you can speak up and remove all doubt"

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 03:57:57 pm »
Can't speak to health care, but I have no idea of where the money is all going in Education.  Salaries are only marginally higher than many jurisdictions (about the same as BC, Ontario and Manitoba), and class sizes are not meeting gov't targets and in our board, we don't have two nickles to rub together.

Great health care, education, roads, and infrastructure are important and I'm willing to pay for them.  We must be spending a ton on garbage somewhere.  And we do need to rewrite the royalties (lower than Texas?) and ensure that the money is invested.

As for gas prices, I have never really cared that much personally.  We have always had quite fuel efficient vehicles in our garage, not only as a hedge against fuel costs, but because it's socially prudent to consume fewer fossil fuels.

To me, rising fuel costs are a double edged sword.  I would like to see $1.50+ gasoline that would curb consumption and increase the urgency to invest in renewable resources and mass transit.  But, in the short term, rising fuel costs are a regressive tax against low income families, especially in places like Edmonton that have ineffective transit systems.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 04:24:53 pm »
When I look at some of the big power boats at the marina in our yacht club ( stuff like twin 454 gas engine or twin 450hp diesels) it makes me glad I'm a sailor.Some of these guys burn 30-40 gallons an hour!  My little 3cyl Yanmar drinks about 2.5 litres per hour at cruise when I'm powering. ;D
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 04:26:40 pm by sailor723 »
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 04:29:52 pm »
When iook at some of the big power boats at the marina in our yacht club ( stuff like twin 454's or twin 450hp diesels)makes me glad I'm a sailor.My little 3cyl Yanmar drinks about 2.5 litres per hour at cruise when I'm powering. ;D

No doubt!  I had a Vancouver based friend that owned a Chris Craft Fittipaldi with two 454's that were set on kill, and that thing drank fuel like nothing I've ever seen.  The hp needed to go fast on water is much higher than on land.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 04:30:09 pm »
Yeah, we have a 16 mile boat ride to the cottage in a 24' boat with a 350 V8.  Round trip (at cruising speed) is about $60-$80 if the weather is calm.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 04:47:28 pm »
When iook at some of the big power boats at the marina in our yacht club ( stuff like twin 454's or twin 450hp diesels)makes me glad I'm a sailor.My little 3cyl Yanmar drinks about 2.5 litres per hour at cruise when I'm powering. ;D

No doubt!  I had a Vancouver based friend that owned a Chris Craft Fittipaldi with two 454's that were set on kill, and that thing drank fuel like nothing I've ever seen.  The hp needed to go fast on water is much higher than on land.

You know what they say....the faster your boat can go, the slower you want to drive it because of the fuel it eats.

Some other things that drink fuel.  Our Ultra 150 Jet Ski (fastest watercraft for awhile) drank it like mad.  As did Yamaha VMAX-4 snowmobile (4 cylinder, 2 stroke)
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Suzuki SX4
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 04:51:21 pm »
I had a 10% increase in property taxes this year and the cost of parking in downtown Montreal continues to increase ($3 an hour at a parking meter and rising).

I'm more concerned about those costs than what the oil companies are charging - which is as much as they can get away with, naturally.

I'm all for higher taxes on gas. It either goes to the government or to the oil companies and I prefer the government. Then, they'd have no excuse for lousy public transit.  ::)

I have no sympathy for the SUV crowd. High gas prices are a fact of life these days. Don't buy one if you can't afford the running costs.

I'll save my sympathy for businesses having to deal with higher gas prices.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 05:11:07 pm »
Over $100 fillup twice a week with the pick up
Just think of all the travel points I get ;D

I think the price will go higher have make up for the money they lost in the Gulf of mexico this past year

ironwood

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 05:19:00 pm »
My local Esso dealer went from $1.13 to $1.21 sometime mid afternoon.  Oil at $150/barrel, despite the fall back this afternoon, is a real possibility....$200/barrel only if the whole middle east implodes.  That means Saudia Arabia, and they would be the last on the list to tumble!