Author Topic: 2011 AJAC's Canadian COTY  (Read 5369 times)

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
Re: 2011 AJAC's Canadian COTY
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2011, 06:30:50 pm »
It took a while for North Americans to get used to and accept Asian vehicles. At first, many still bought from the big four (at that time), because that is what they were used to and grew up with. They soon figured out what was better.

And that's still going on. Except that now they're realizing that the better car is from a domestic manufacturer.

In some cases yes, and in other cases definitely not.  The blanket statement about domestics being a better car is far from accurate.  In some instances I truly think that they are, but in others they lag far behind IMHO. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2011, 06:51:01 pm »
It took a while for North Americans to get used to and accept Asian vehicles. At first, many still bought from the big four (at that time), because that is what they were used to and grew up with. They soon figured out what was better.

And that's still going on. Except that now they're realizing that the better car is from a domestic manufacturer.

I'm curious....do you really believe that sort of thing or are you just stirring the pot for your own amusement?

CanuckG35's post above seems a far more balanced and realistic view of this topic. I mean we all have our quirks and bias's but this nonstop "Domestic good, Asian bad" stream of posts seems at least as silly as the people who post along the lines of "all domestic cars are junk".
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2011, 07:00:58 pm »

I'm curious....do you really believe that sort of thing or are you just stirring the pot for your own amusement?

CanuckG35's post above seems a far more balanced and realistic view of this topic. I mean we all have our quirks and bias's but this nonstop "Domestic good, Asian bad" stream of posts seems at least as silly as the people who post along the lines of "all domestic cars are junk".

It's gotta have something to do with the pot  ;)

@Cats:  If you want to generalize the whole industry at least say domestic trucks are better. I among many others will agree with you, otherwise it sounds like TO is better than Vancouver or the other way around coz I was born there  ::)
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2011, 07:02:37 pm »

You are absolutely right...that is why I won't buy one. I'd hate to have you miss out.  ;)
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2011, 07:08:31 pm »
I mean we all have our quirks and bias's...

I'm not biased.

My first two cars were North American; the first nearly new and the second, new. There were endless things going wrong with them. So I moved on and haven't been happier since....and a lot richer and less frustrated in the process.

Are they better now? Maybe, but I am not going to spend my hard earned money to take a chance. They lost me back then...their tough! They should have thought about quality control...oops, but they did...remember the slogan, "Quality is Job 1". Funny, who would need to advertize that...let the consumer decide.  :rofl:

I guess that is why car makers that produce better cars are always in financial difficulty needing bailouts. (sarcasm intended)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 07:10:59 pm by hcrv »

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2011, 07:24:02 pm »

I'm not biased.

My first two cars were North American; the first nearly new and the second, new. There were endless things going wrong with them. So I moved on and haven't been happier since....and a lot richer and less frustrated in the process.

Are they better now? Maybe, but I am not going to spend my hard earned money to take a chance. They lost me back then...their tough! They should have thought about quality control...oops, but they did...remember the slogan, "Quality is Job 1". Funny, who would need to advertize that...let the consumer decide.  :rofl:

I guess that is why car makers that produce better cars are always in financial difficulty needing bailouts. (sarcasm intended)

"I'm not biased" he says....and then proceeds to write a post that explains why he is in fact biased.  ???

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2011, 07:39:39 pm »
"I'm not biased" he says....and then proceeds to write a post that explains why he is in fact biased.  ???

Oh yeah, where. Maybe look up the word "biased".

I buy what serves me well. People ought to try it. There would be far less whining on the forums.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2011, 08:01:06 pm »

Oh yeah, where. Maybe look up the word "biased".

I buy what serves me well. People ought to try it. There would be far less whining on the forums.

From the online dictionary

"A preference or an inclination, especially one that inhibits impartial judgment.......  see also hcvr's position on domestic cars" (OK, I made that last part up  ;D)

Seriously though, I think your experience with domestic cars some years ago has resulted in a bias. Just as my 98 Jeep GC left me with a bit of an anti Chrysler bias and the positive ownership experience I had with an 03 Pathfinder left me with a pro Nissan bias.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2011, 08:04:42 pm »

I'm not biased.

Nah, you are not biased at all.  You are simply trying to hold all North American manufacturers under a single candle that was lit many years ago.   ::)

Personally, I am an import person myself.  I am also not that nieve and oblivious to think that the Domestics are catching up and passing the import market in a number of areas.  If you hold that much of a long term grudge, why is it that you have a CR-V in your stable?  After all, Honda wasn't exactly a top notch car manufacturer at one point in time.  

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2011, 08:08:45 pm »

C'mon hcrv.  You've been very helpful to me in the past, so it pains me someone to write my comments.

From my recollection, the last experience you've had was almost 30 years ago.  Most of the people on here don't want to paint ALL of the domestic product as the "be-all-end-all".  At the same time, saying they're all crap is equally silly.

I might suggest that limiting yourself base on your perceptions will mean you will miss some pretty good product.  That's your choice of course.

CatsEye68

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2011, 10:11:28 pm »
In some cases yes, and in other cases definitely not.  The blanket statement about domestics being a better car is far from accurate.  In some instances I truly think that they are, but in others they lag far behind IMHO. 

Never said otherwise. We are talking about cars that win awards. All manufacturers make cars that are less than paragons of virtue. My comment was directed at the usual suspects who never fail to disparage any domestic car regardless of how good it may be.

I do find it ironic that one poster who spent a great deal of time extolling the virtues of imported cars while disparaging his experience with domestics from a 30 year-old experience lists a Porsche in his stable -- which, while a joyous car to drive, has an ownership experience roughly equivalent to supporting several divorces with alimony payments.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12397
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2011, 07:57:43 am »

Oh he's a true believer all right.  And yes, his posts are very silly.  But they are entertaining.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.