Author Topic: Not Exactly Elementary, Watson  (Read 2118 times)

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
Not Exactly Elementary, Watson
« on: February 16, 2011, 11:31:48 pm »
Watched the 3 Jeopardy episodes of IBM's Supercomputer Watson, playing 2 of the best hUman players, and dominated.

Very enjoyable game.  :thumbup: :thumbup:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/entertainment/What+blowout+Computer+destroys+humans+Jeopardy/4298139/story.html

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
Re: Not Exactly Elementary, Watson
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 11:35:06 pm »
US Cities:  Answer?  TORONTO??

:rofl2:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 11:37:23 pm »
Programmed by US educated engineers, very sad answer.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 06:58:35 am »

I might be wrong, but there is a city of Toronto in the US somewhere IIRC.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 07:08:22 am »

Yes, I laughed at that one...I thought, 'has two airports, so it's a larger city, definitely not New York, must be...Chicago'...and when I saw that Watson had said Toronto, I laughed.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 09:07:33 am »
How could the machine have been so wrong? David Ferrucci, the manager of the Watson project at IBM Research, explained during a  viewing of the show on Monday morning that several things probably confused Watson. First, the category names on Jeopardy! are tricky. The answers often do not exactly fit the category. Watson, in his training phase,  learned that categories only weakly suggest the kind of answer that is expected, and, therefore, the machine downgrades their significance.  The way the language was parsed provided an advantage for the humans and a disadvantage for Watson, as well. “What US city” wasn’t in the question. If it had been, Watson would have given US cities much more weight as it searched for the answer. Adding to the confusion for Watson, there are cities named Toronto in the United States and the Toronto in Canada has an American League baseball team. It probably picked up those facts from the written material it has digested. Also, the machine didn’t find much evidence to connect either city’s airport to World War II. (Chicago was a very close second on Watson’s list of possible answers.) So this is just one of those situations that’s a snap for a reasonably knowledgeable human but a true brain teaser for the machine.

http://asmarterplanet.com/blog/2011/02/watson-on-jeopardy-day-two-the-confusion-over-an-airport-clue.html

I think its an interesting experiment. For their next 'stunt' they should offer Google a chance to go up against Watston, would be an interesting fight.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 10:53:57 am »
How could the machine have been so wrong? David Ferrucci, the manager of the Watson project at IBM Research, explained during a  viewing of the show on Monday morning that several things probably confused Watson. First, the category names on Jeopardy! are tricky. The answers often do not exactly fit the category. Watson, in his training phase,  learned that categories only weakly suggest the kind of answer that is expected, and, therefore, the machine downgrades their significance.  The way the language was parsed provided an advantage for the humans and a disadvantage for Watson, as well. “What US city” wasn’t in the question. If it had been, Watson would have given US cities much more weight as it searched for the answer. Adding to the confusion for Watson, there are cities named Toronto in the United States and the Toronto in Canada has an American League baseball team. It probably picked up those facts from the written material it has digested. Also, the machine didn’t find much evidence to connect either city’s airport to World War II. (Chicago was a very close second on Watson’s list of possible answers.) So this is just one of those situations that’s a snap for a reasonably knowledgeable human but a true brain teaser for the machine.

http://asmarterplanet.com/blog/2011/02/watson-on-jeopardy-day-two-the-confusion-over-an-airport-clue.html

I think its an interesting experiment. For their next 'stunt' they should offer Google a chance to go up against Watston, would be an interesting fight.

Here ya go:

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=Google&word2=Watson
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 10:55:58 am by WxyOne18 »

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 10:58:03 am »
I had fun watching the 3 days... they went too quickly. Think IBM's Watson is an amazing achievement (to be able to interpret the ambiguous questions, nevermind respond so quickly, etc), and quite entertaining to watch.

Was pleased the 2 other players appeared light hearted at the end of last night's show after being crushed by Watson, with Ken's comment "I for one welcome our new computer overlords" and them mocking the avatar. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 10:59:47 am by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 11:14:36 am »
That was fun - even Watson's attempts at humour and his bidding was quite interesting. But Toronto - that must have been done to honour Alex.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 11:15:29 am »
Sooner or later all these little threads of research will get joined up and something useful will appear.

The DARPA Urban Challenge autonomous vehicles, another generation of computer vision and recognition plus Watson to make an automated taxi for instance.

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 12:34:47 pm »
Then skynet will become self aware.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 12:48:09 pm »

I might be wrong, but there is a city of Toronto in the US somewhere IIRC.

There is a Toronto, Ohio. 

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 01:58:09 pm »
 ::) where GTA losers go to die??????  AND retire from the BIG MESS... :rofl:.................
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 02:01:43 pm by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 04:15:38 pm »
"We don't know who struck first, us or them."
"Can we make this quick? I have to give a banana to Annie's Boobs."

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 06:22:46 pm »
Sooner or later all these little threads of research will get joined up and something useful will appear.

The DARPA Urban Challenge autonomous vehicles, another generation of computer vision and recognition plus Watson to make an automated taxi for instance.

Like a service manager who knows everything?