Author Topic: What are YOUR Deal Breakers?  (Read 7821 times)

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
Re: What are YOUR Deal Breakers?
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2011, 08:03:46 pm »
Knowing that a car's msrp is way lower in the US is a real turn off for me. The Mazdaspeed 3 is a good example. At $24k it's a steal. at 30+k not so much.

Funny you mentioned that car, I was thinking of buying one however that's crazy pricing, $ 33k MSRP. Either they would prefer not to sell them here and concentrate distribution in certain areas of the US only, or there will be a big factory cash discount coming soon (not likely). In the US its $ 23.7k plus $ 795- destination (its $ 1,395- here).

They also need to bring it in another colour that is available in the US (liquid silver metallic) that hides the smiley.  
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 08:14:17 pm by dougjp »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2011, 08:19:00 pm »
Hey tpl, why the move from DSG to manual? I thought you liked the DSG?

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2011, 08:19:53 pm »
Would have to have decent power for merging and passing on two lane highways. Needs to be able to hit 120 by the time you reach the top of an uphill on ramp

Must be AT (wife can't drive a manual)

Leather upholstery with firm,supportive heated seats. I want to be able to drive the ten hours to New York and still be able to walk when I get there. ;D

I agree with the comments about not too common. I like something at least a little different so you don't see yourself going by all the time.

AWD for at least one of our cars (my garages are behind the house and it's 200 feet uphill from the street)
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2011, 08:28:06 pm »
@Dougjp
I'm on my 6th Mazda in a row and unfortunately they've priced both vehicles I am interested in off the charts (CX-9 and Speed3). It's really unfortunate as my next vehicle will most likely not be a Mazda.

Buy a Speed3 in the USA....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2011, 08:33:26 pm »
Hey tpl, why the move from DSG to manual? I thought you liked the DSG?
I DO like the DSG. In fact I think that manuals, CVTs and slushboxes will all end up disappearing from regular cars in favour of some variant of the DSG.  So, having been driving manuals since I learnt to drive in the '60s now I have tried a DSG perhaps I'll go back to a manual while I still can.  About 2/3 the cars on my "maybe" list are not available with manual in NA so I'll compromise on a DSG if I have to.  I wonder if the GTI MK VII in 2013 or so will be DSG only.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2011, 08:44:31 pm »
GTI, DSG only? Not gonna happen! :)

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2011, 08:48:42 pm »
No MT, it's a family car.

I have one kid with another on the way, my Mazda 5 with MT disagrees with this statement. Why do you need an AT if you have a family?

Umm, perhaps I'm not the only driver in the family, and other drivers can't drive a MT?

My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2011, 08:48:57 pm »
We will see. You're probably right for the GTI. It would be interesting to know, NA wide, the mix of DSG and manual cars sold.

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2011, 08:59:28 pm »
I shuttle elderly folks around on a regular basis, so good backseat room and comfort is essential. The back seat has to be easy to get in and out of as well.

For obvious reasons the car will have to ride comfortably, while hopefully retaining a bit of handling.

I don't like feeling cramped so the front seats need to be roomy. I'm not particularly tall at 5'11" but I'm long in the torso so I need a vehicle with plenty of headroom.

Seats that don't kill my back on long trips are a must, as is a good sound system with Bluetooth integration and iPod control.

If I had my druthers my next car would have a MT, but since that's not the case  :'( a responsive 5-speed AT with manual mode would be acceptable. I'd even consider a CVT but I'd have to drive one first.

A reasonably responsive engine is a must, but big power isn't important. The car has to be quiet and it has to be nimble in city traffic since that's where I do most of my driving.

I want padded places to put my elbows but I don't care if the dash is 'soft touch' as long as it looks good and works well. I like simple mechanical controls better than complicated electronic ones.

Steel wheels and plastic hubcaps are a no-no, but not a deal-breaker. The alloys I got on sale for my Versa were actually cheaper to buy seperately than the OEM steelies, so no big deal here.

Power heated outside mirrors. I won't even look at a car without those, same with power windows, A/C  and central locking. I miss cruise control, so my next vehicle will have that as well. Fog lights would be nice, but that's not a deal-breaker for me.

A sizeable and versatile cargo area. No split-folding rear seats, no deal. Hatchback or wagon, no sedans. The car also has to have good interior storage and a sturdy accessible cupholder for each seat.

Good fuel economy, 10L/100 kms or better.

Things I can live without - sun roof, power seats, leather, climate control, touch-screens, navigation, DVD entertainment systems and ultra low-profile tires.

' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Leviathan

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2011, 11:05:30 pm »
I'm thinking that the next car needs to get me to/from work using electricity yet still get me to Whistler, Kelowna & central BC or up the Island. I prefer hatches too.  :D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2011, 11:10:15 pm »
I'm thinking that the next car needs to get me to/from work using electricity yet still get me to Whistler, Kelowna & central BC or up the Island. I prefer hatches too.  :D

AWD?

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2011, 11:37:14 pm »
CVT, crappy dealer experience. Not much else is an absolute deal breaker.

I don't like following the herd either.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

vdk

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2011, 02:00:46 am »
We will see. You're probably right for the GTI. It would be interesting to know, NA wide, the mix of DSG and manual cars sold.

I'm thinking around 70% DSG in Canada. In QC is the other way around I'd imagine.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2011, 10:01:59 am »
It has to be fun to drive.  I won't buy a car that wallows all over the road with its numb steering.  I'm not saying it has to be a canyon carver or an autocross champ, I just want something that's fun to interact with.   A good example is the 2003 Passat wagon that my inlaws owned.   It was a surprisingly great handler with a nice balance to the suspension tuning that made driving it enjoyable.  At 130 km/hr it really came into its own.

Next is a manual transmission.   The wife and I both prefer it and I've made it an absolute must.

Sedans and CUV's are also out.  It has to be a hatch or a wagon.

Fuel economy.  Our DD would ideally use less than 9 L/100 km (city, summer).  I'll give a little on this for more size/cargo room (like the Honda Element or Mazda5).

Reasonably reliable.  Our P5 has 215,000 km and I would expect my next car to make it there without many significant repairs.  I am willing to give on the reliability to drive something interesting.

I think my wife's only criteria is that it's funky.  She loves the mini, the soul, the Cube (eek), Juke, etc.  As long as it has personality she's interested.

I have a lot of other deal breakers but they're mostly standard on new cars.  Remote power locks, power windows, A/C, etc.

Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2011, 10:45:56 am »

If the seats are uncomfortable to me ...

This would also be one for me, due to my bad back, thanks for the reminder.

... The wife says ... NO!  :'( :'(

So true!

No MT, it's a family car.

I have one kid with another on the way, my Mazda 5 with MT disagrees with this statement. Why do you need an AT if you have a family?

Umm, perhaps I'm not the only driver in the family, and other drivers can't drive a MT?

I agree with tenpenny, it applies to me as well.  I would love a MT, but not the rest of the drivers and we need to be able to share our vehicles.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2011, 10:52:04 am »
Overly short gearing resulting in high cruising revs. Drives me crazy (assuming its a main driving car and not a beater or track car)

Curise control is probaly a deal breaker.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2011, 11:12:39 am »
...after driving the "thing" it leaves me COLD............................no frisson or Elan ;)............it's gotta be LURVE @ first drive..or I dump her..... :brkhrt:...

p.s I'm neither PETTY OR the Heartbreakers............. ;)
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2011, 11:33:34 am »
1. Design - I can't buy a car I don't like in and out, regardless how good the car is in any other respects. I'm wiling to compromise on other points if I absolutely love the car.

2. Platform/steering/brakes - must handle good and have good steering feel. IRS, 4 wheel disk brakes are a must.

3. Powertrain - the car must have adequate power AND torque (my rule of thumb is 150-200 hp/lb.ft and max 3000 lbs). It must feel up to the task in normal driving conditions and not struggle or feel over worked under acceleration. I don't care much about 0-60mph time, but if the power/weight/gearing are adequate, this should not be an issue. I care more about 40-60, 60-80, 80-100, 100-120, 120-140, etc.
* Old tech or low tech engines are a deal breaker.
* CVT or 4AT are immediate deal breakers. MT-only is unfortunately a deal breaker as well (the wife must be able to drive the car).

4. Reliability and maintenance costs – again, I’m willing to compromise a bit here if all the rest is outstanding.

5. Size - must be compact car/CUV

6. Price

7. Leather seats mandatory for the powertrain/features I want.

8. Brand - there are few brands (both domestic and imports) I'm not ready to buy yet.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 11:55:18 am by carcrazy »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2011, 11:34:28 am »
First thing: I have to fit in it. Good ergos get me to the next step. Lack of headroom killed a Mazda 6 wagon for me while the lack of stretch-out legroom killed the Subaru Legacy GT that caught my eye. Next step: How does the rest of the brood fit?

Offline dguthmann

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2011, 12:02:31 pm »

1) Red dashes/consoles - too hard to focus on with my old tired 50+ eyes.  Blue/White is much easier to focus on
2) Anything from Ford - after my Windstar experience   >:(