Author Topic: What are YOUR Deal Breakers?  (Read 7827 times)

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
What are YOUR Deal Breakers?
« on: February 16, 2011, 04:14:30 pm »
There has been a lot of discussion about specific "deal breakers", from transmission to sunroof to timing belt to hard plastic.  So I thought lets put them all into one place.

What are your "deal breakers", if any?  What would stop you from getting any vehicle, regardless of other factors?

For me, on the vehicle side its the transmission.  No MT for us as my family all have to be able to drive all our cars, so MT is out.  Other than that, I am open to anything else, even CVT (until I drive one anyway  :D ).  Make, reputation, colour, etc no issues, they will at least get considered.

On the buying side, a bad experience with a dealer would be a deal breaker for them, but not necessarily for the vehicle.

So, come on, what are yours, and why?
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
Re: What are YOUR Deal Breakers?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 04:22:15 pm »
I know this is going to sound really shallow, but for me, one deal breaker is being too "common."  For that reason I would never buy a Civic, Mazda 3, or Corolla...  If I were in the market for a compact family car in Canada right now I'd probably go with the Mitsubushi Lancer...  By the same token, I'd take a SAAB 9-3 over a BMW 3-Series.  If I had the cash "back in the day," I would have been one of the nutters driving an Alfa Milano (75 for North America) or 164...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 04:24:02 pm by Scaerio »
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 04:34:37 pm »
I know this is going to sound really shallow, but for me, one deal breaker is being too "common."  ...
Not shallow at all, I sort of trend like that too but its not a deal breaker for me (or at least my wife   :rofl2: ).  It would be nice to drive something that is not in every other driveway.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 04:48:45 pm »
Really interesting topic!

In terms of new car buying;

- Major drivetrain problems, for example many reports of transmissions or clutches being replaced due to failed parts and/or poor shifting actions. However it is difficult from reading Forums to determine the extent of these problems and whether they have been solved in currently produced cars. Similar to these, too heavy a clutch, too notchy shifting, won't go into gear, missed shifts, clunking etc. are deal breakers. How well a manual transmission works is a priority for me.

- Inadequate torque and power. I know I will get tired of shortfalls in these areas very quickly, then waste $ thousands to get out of the car and into something else.

- Too heavy for the size of the car. Weight makes everything worse, except sometimes quietness.

- A CVT is absolutely a deal breaker. Most automatics are deal breakers.

- Convertibles are deal breakers, because its too much sun, cold, heat, wind, and rattles and excess weight etc.

- No dealer within a reasonable distance of home and located in heavy traffic areas. Too much aggravation getting service.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
Re:
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 04:59:03 pm »
I know this is going to sound really shallow, but for me, one deal breaker is being too "common."  ...
Not shallow at all, I sort of trend like that too but its not a deal breaker for me (or at least my wife   :rofl2: ).  It would be nice to drive something that is not in every other driveway.

I fully agree.  The gf and I have a SX4 sedan and a WRX, not exactly run of the mill.

We looked at trading in the 'far too common' SX4 for a Kizashi in the past. I kid you not.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 05:01:47 pm »
For our main family hauler, no leather is a deal breaker.  My two boys are young, and until they grow up a bit, leather is a must.  I have cloth in my truck, but we don't travel much in it except for trips to the lake.  
For my truck, the deal breaker was a front bench.  I was surprised at the amount of Ford and GMs when I was looking that had bench seats.  I wanted a console and bucket seats.

Other than that, I'm not too picky.  My last car had roll up windows...
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 05:05:43 pm »
-Anything that uses more than 11L/100km
-Fairly reliable
-Seats that don't make my thighs/butt go numb after an hour of driving. If I'm serious about a car, it must pass a one hour test drive.

Manual transmission has always been a deal breaker for me and I would prefer something do better than 9s 0-60, but I will make exceptions to both to get a hybrid or electric vehicle, so long as I have a manual transmission internal combustion engine second car to have fun with.

I also want a truck for work, and it must have bench seats and be in a double cab format (aka seat six). That basically limits me to base model double cab full size pickups like a Tundra SR5, but I don't mind.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 05:21:34 pm »
... The wife says ... NO!  :'( :'(

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 05:42:35 pm »
It depends.  When we went looking for a compact sedan for the missus, it had to get great fuel economy, be comfortable for her commute, and as we might want to use it for a ski trip/etc, a 60/40-ish folding rear seat was a must.  That was one thing that killed the Civic, as the EX was the lowest trim to have the folding seat, and it was $4K more than the well-equipped Corolla.

I won't own a car without cruise control.  Alberta consists of long, straight highways that require cruise control.

I'd never own another car without air conditioning, and it is becoming more difficult to buy one without anyway.

At the dealer level, try to charge me an admin fee, and I walk out and I never return.  Seriously.  This is one stumbling block to us buying new cars lately.  These high PDI/Freight/BS fees are already enough to turn me off, and now you try to milk another $400-1000 out of me?  Screw you.  We weren't really considering new cars when we bought the 'Rolla, but the Toyota dealer had a barely digestible $1100 PDI charge and no admin fees.

Offline overtakeyouintheleftlane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2003 Pontiac Grand AM (sent for scrap), 2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon (sold) and a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2017 Hyundai Accent GL sedan
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 05:48:08 pm »
I agree that if a car is too common such as the Civic, Mazda 3, Corolla. Camry, Accord, I will NEVER be able to find my car in Pacific Mall  :rofl2:

If the car is underpowered <150HP it's a deal breaker. I don't want to start praying when merging on the 401. I want the power to be able to pass others easily.

If the seats are uncomfortable to me (Cavalier/Sunfire/Civic, etc.) or if it doesn't come standard with A/C I wouldn't take the car if it was free. I need to be comfortable when I'm driving.

If the dealer refuses to serve me when I'm car shopping such as the Honda dealer, Toyota and Nissan, I walk away. I'm not waiting when I'm spending that kind of money.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 05:52:49 pm by overtakeyouintheleftlane »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 06:17:56 pm »
No HID lights available.  red rear indicators are nearly a dealbreaker
Slushbox only. DSG is ok I've found but probably back to manual for the next car
Size.  Anything bigger than a Passat or possible a BMW 5-er  is just too big.
Inconvenient dealer location.  From here in G the nearest Audi and BMW dealers are at the distance limit, M-B is ok.  We have Ford and VW in town.

An Japanese or Korean car would have to be pretty good for me to buy one.  I love our Fit but I wouldn't buy one for myself...irrational yes but old farts are allowed to be so.
Preferably no V format engines... but if I REALLY wanted  a M-B or Audi I'd allow that.

Fuel economy... for any size of car I'd buy and I only do about 12,000 kms a year... don't care.

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 06:22:10 pm »
If the car is underpowered <150HP it's a deal breaker. I don't want to start praying when merging on the 401. I want the power to be able to pass others easily

I've never had trouble passing people with my 76 HP Honda Civic. Downshift and let her rip. Unless you're driving an automatic, then I'd be more worried about the downshift lag.

... The wife says ... NO!  :'( :'(

I feel your pain, bro.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 06:47:36 pm »
Ruling out any vehicles that wouldn't even be considered because too big/too small/too slow/too ugly,

- Poor or restricted visibility (like my TL has...)
- Uncomfortable driving position and/or seats
- Dealer that pi$$es me off
- In a sedan, a back seat that does not fold (such as in my TL...)
- Dealer that won't let me take a car out for a 2nd. test drive alone

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 07:01:49 pm »
Ruling out any vehicles that wouldn't even be considered because too big/too small/too slow/too ugly,

- Poor or restricted visibility (like my TL has...)
- Uncomfortable driving position and/or seats
- Dealer that pi$$es me off
- In a sedan, a back seat that does not fold (such as in my TL...)
- Dealer that won't let me take a car out for a 2nd. test drive alone

A dealer that won't let me take a car out for the first test drive alone is a MAJOR pet peeve and a turn off.  I tell them up front that if a salesman will be coming with me for a test drive than I am not interested.
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 07:04:54 pm »
Need a dealer or a good Indy mechanic in town

It is a pain driving a hour to get to a mechanic

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 07:11:34 pm »
Cruise control and A/C.

I've done Fort Lauderdale and back in a three-day weekend and many other long days. Cruise control and A/C make it all the more enjoyable.
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 07:18:51 pm »
Cruise control and A/C.

I've done Fort Lauderdale and back in a three-day weekend and many other long days. Cruise control and A/C make it all the more enjoyable.

I thought it was if the car had cup holders?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 07:45:16 pm »
No MT, it's a family car.
Must have 4 doors, it's a family car.
AWD, it's for our climate, and we have a steep driveway.

I'm not personally fond of sedans - I figure that a wagon is a more efficient use of space, so a wagon on some sort of SUV is a strong preference.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 07:51:30 pm »
I thought it was if the car had cup holders?

It is. It has cruise, A/C and no cup holders.  ;)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2011, 07:58:04 pm »
No MT, it's a family car.

I have one kid with another on the way, my Mazda 5 with MT disagrees with this statement. Why do you need an AT if you have a family?