Author Topic: Crap jobs  (Read 3810 times)

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
Re: Crap jobs
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2011, 11:31:51 am »
I worked at Loblaws through high school and college.  The garbage bin was one of the large dumpsters that got backed into the building, in a room by itself, and the compactor connected to the back of the dumpster.  When it got picked up, somebody had to go into that room to shovel up all the spillage the happened when the dumpster got disconnected from the compactor.  Rats, rotten food, meat, dairy products, you name it.  If the smell made you puke, go right ahead and do it, it's not like it would even be noticed with all the other sh!t on the floor in there.  The only upside to that duty is that, depending on your shift, you either got 2 hours to go home and shower or just got sent home early.
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2011, 12:40:51 pm »
 ::) It was the PRESIDENT'S CHOICE thay U suffer and become a real MAN..................... :bang: :drool: :fall:................
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2011, 03:38:26 pm »
The guys who service our dust-collectors at work have a job I don't envy.  They are full of carbon-black, silica, sulphur, and other assorted chemicals, all of which you end up totally covered in.   
I've had to work in the crappy, dirty conditions associated with mixing rubber long enough that I'm presently on a bit of a job search. 

I work in plant inTO a number of years ago that made rubber, man the black crap got everywhere, And a number of workers worn no masks!!!!!!!!

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2011, 06:26:56 pm »
The guys who service our dust-collectors at work have a job I don't envy.  They are full of carbon-black, silica, sulphur, and other assorted chemicals, all of which you end up totally covered in.   
I've had to work in the crappy, dirty conditions associated with mixing rubber long enough that I'm presently on a bit of a job search. 

I work in plant inTO a number of years ago that made rubber, man the black crap got everywhere, And a number of workers worn no masks!!!!!!!!

I did a job at a Xerox machine reclamation plant.  I was there to remove their PCB waste.  The place was covered with black toner.  At the end of the day I was black.  Even my boogers came out black...

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2011, 06:50:02 pm »
I'm sure there are many here who've worked at crappier jobs...

Yeah, try working for the Federal Government. Its a place that promotes incompetence, favouritism and nepotism.
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2011, 06:53:10 pm »
I have a cube and I love it!

OK there are a few things I would prefer to be doing like hotshot international photographer, or Top Gear presenter, but I'm very fortunate to have a challenging job that I enjoy, cube or not.

Ditto, Bob.  I love being on the shop floor making car stuff, seeing the chips fly!  And while I'd sometimes rather be doing something else some days, I wake up everyday pretty pleased to have a job I love.

I'm very lucky IMO...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2011, 06:53:38 pm »

I did a job at a Xerox machine reclamation plant.  I was there to remove their PCB waste.  The place was covered with black toner.  At the end of the day I was black.  Even my boogers came out black...

On Monday we had an inflatable seal in a carbon- black diverter (pneumatic conveyor) not quite work  while I was in the room, I'm think I'm still blowing black boogers.   I'm tired of sinus infections.
Mr Pickypants

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2011, 07:56:54 pm »

On Monday we had an inflatable seal in a carbon- black diverter (pneumatic conveyor) not quite work  while I was in the room, I'm think I'm still blowing black boogers.   I'm tired of sinus infections.

Maybe time to don a respirator with a N100 or P100 cartridge?  :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2011, 07:59:34 pm »

On Monday we had an inflatable seal

You mean one of these???

vdk

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2011, 08:11:10 pm »

Yeah, try working for the Federal Government. Its a place that promotes incompetence, favouritism and nepotism.

That's true for any kind of Government gigs. They pay good money for short term contracts though.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2011, 08:20:13 pm »

The private sector differs only in degree.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2011, 07:41:58 am »

That's true for any kind of Government gigs. They pay good money for short term contracts though.

Yes, they create terrific make-work projects, especially for some who recently retired from the PS.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 07:43:58 am by hcrv »