Author Topic: New high tech dangers?  (Read 4041 times)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: New high tech dangers?
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2011, 07:01:29 pm »
I've done a lot of HMI applications over the years. Great for displaying information in a control room. Even in a control room though, important stuff is still done by hardwired buttons. They take much less thought in critical situations. Press catches fire? Mash the big red button! Easy peasy.

In a car, there isn't much in the HMI that's critical, but it is time sensitive. HMIs always take more interpretation, so more time fiddling, less concentrating on the road. Voice recognition is probably the best, depending on how the menus are arranged.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2011, 07:20:07 pm »
I've test driven a couple of cars lately with quite sophisticated displays with either touch screens(Ford) or a mouse (Lexus) that control things like stereo, climate control,nav,phone etc. As I was navigating through the menus I was thinking to myself that this is at least as distracting as dialing or talking on a handheld cell phone while driving. (Something that is apparently so dangerous that it has been prohibited by law in most provinces). I could easily see how you could rear end someone while trying to bring up the screen with the radio presets or adjust the fan speed. It could be especially bad in rental cars where the drivers aren't familiar with the systems. Just imagine the spectacular crashes around airport parking lots as drivers try and turn on the defogger in the Hertz they just picked up. ;D

Seriously though, does anyone else see this as being a potential safety issue?

I certainly agree with you to a point, however I don't really see how pushing a virtual button on a touch screen is any more dangerous than pushing a traditional button.  Now if you are navigating multiple layers deep into a menu, than I would say that is an obvious distraction.  With the MyFord Touch system, you don't need to use the touch screen anyways as you can either do everything right from the steering wheel or use voice commands.  With regards to distractions and potential dangers, it's not really about how many tech features a vehicle may have, it's how they are implemented in the vehicle.  IMHO of course. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline overtakeyouintheleftlane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2003 Pontiac Grand AM (sent for scrap), 2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon (sold) and a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2017 Hyundai Accent GL sedan
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2011, 07:23:54 pm »
Can't stand the Ford "My Touch" or any of this touch screen garbage. The only thing that should be touch screen is my after-market GPS and my cell phone (when parked).

Seriously... to adjust temperature or to "Play Kate's Mix" is TOO DISTRACTING!. Driving is already complicated enough, I want it simple like how it is in most cars. Red is for heat, blue for cool, blue + A/C light for really cold, standard rotary knobs for fan speed and direction of air flow.

Winklovic's Sebring is bang on how it should be and stay.

If I have to read a manual to learn how to use basic functions in a car such as a stereo or HVAC which are pretty much the same in your average car, then it's too complicated!

This is a major turn off for me. Keep it simple stupid!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2011, 07:25:09 pm »
Can't stand the Ford "My Touch" or any of this touch screen garbage. The only thing that should be touch screen is my after-market GPS and my cell phone (when parked).

Seriously... to adjust temperature or to "Play Kate's Mix" is TOO DISTRACTING!. Driving is already complicated enough, I want it simple like how it is in most cars. Red is for heat, blue for cool, blue + A/C light for really cold, standard rotary knobs for fan speed and direction of air flow.

If I have to read a manual to learn how to use basic functions in a car such as a stereo or HVAC which are pretty much the same in your average car, then it's too complicated!

This is a major turn off for me. Keep it simple stupid!

Ummm....in my buddy's Ford Flex with the My Touch...and Synch...it can all be done by voice.  Do you also find that too hard?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2003 Pontiac Grand AM (sent for scrap), 2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon (sold) and a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2017 Hyundai Accent GL sedan
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2011, 07:28:48 pm »
Sorry, not my thing. Much simpler with rotary controls and knobs. What happens when this "technology" breaks? Do you see $$$ falling out of your pocket?

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2011, 07:33:07 pm »
I'm watching "MyFord Touch and MyLincoln Touch Demonstration" on youtube right now... who the hell wants to scroll through menus to access heating/cooling, etc.

My point is, it's too distracting. I already see too many people in the Edge/Flex playing with their touch screens while driving.

Watch Consumer Reports report on this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H64QTs8qDfI

Not my cup of tea.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 07:34:53 pm by overtakeyouintheleftlane »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2011, 07:34:51 pm »
I'm watching "MyFord Touch and MyLincoln Touch Demonstration" on youtube right now... who the hell wants to scroll through menus to access heating/cooling, etc.

My point is, it's too distracting. I already see too many people in the Edge/Flex playing with their touch screens while driving.

Ummm....no need to scroll through anything.  It's voice activated if you know how to speak english....

This SOOOO hard:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPeIy5ccqO0
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 07:40:35 pm by rrocket »

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2011, 07:36:55 pm »
Nah, not convinced, poorly designed, too complicated, not effective and NOT WORTH THE $.

A deal breaker in my opinion. I wouldn't buy the vehicle if it came with it standard. I prefer the "good old days" of driving with normal interiors and technology (standard HVAC controls and a stereo) and I'm 28. What happened to people just actually DRIVING?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 07:39:03 pm by overtakeyouintheleftlane »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2011, 07:38:53 pm »

Ummm....no need to scroll through anything.  It's voice activated if you know how to speak english....

I sense a conspiracy here  ;D
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2011, 07:39:48 pm »
Speaking English is a requirement of Myfordtouch eh? Good luck with that in Toronto.  :rofl2:

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2011, 07:43:48 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H64QTs8qDfI&feature=relmfu

@ 1:27 he states very clearly "climate temperature 70 degrees" and the damn thing asks him "did you say 70 degrees?". "Yes". Me- "No *ucking *hit!".

It would've been faster to manually adjust the temperature.

This guy speaks English without an accent and it still didn't understand him the first time! See what I mean?  :thumbdown: :thumbdown: This technology sucks!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2011, 07:45:36 pm »
Speaking English is a requirement of Myfordtouch eh? Good luck with that in Toronto.  :rofl2:

I agree that navigating through the menus might be tough, but I was able to do everything I needed to do in my buddy's Flex with ZERO instruction just by using voice commands.  You DO have to push a button on the steering wheel first, so it that's too complicated for you....well, it's best you don't drive.

And you can say "colder, warmer, higher, lower, etc..or give the exact temp.  Worked for me everytime.

Also worked very well in the 2002 Infiniti Q45 and M45 I tested....

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2011, 07:49:25 pm »
Thanks but no thanks to this junk "technology". Whatever floats your boat my man.

"You DO have to push a button on the steering wheel first, so it that's too complicated for you....well, it's best you don't drive." - I'm quite capable of driving without being "connected" to the "smartphone on wheels" just don't need this technology. Just another distraction and poorly designed.

Enjoy it. As I said, whatever floats your boat.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2011, 07:50:20 pm »

Not my cup of tea.

It might not be your cup of tea, and that's perfectly fine, however you are incorrect about scrolling through menus to access heating cooling.  In fact, there is NO menu to scroll through.  

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2011, 07:53:18 pm »

Not my cup of tea.

It might not be your cup of tea, and that's perfectly fine, however you are incorrect about scrolling through menus to access heating cooling.  In fact, there is NO menu to scroll through.  

Right.  I don't prefer the Ford system over others.  And I'd hate it if there was no voice commands.  But with voice commands, it's a piece of cake to use.

Some people can't handle too much technology is all...especially the generation that's used of everyone doing everything for them....

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2011, 07:59:03 pm »
I prefer to keep it simple while driving. Plain and simple. There are too many distractions, traffic, etc.

Maybe other systems in other cars are better than others, I've only seen this one. My opinion is based on what I've seen in the Ford dealership. Not my cup of tea, feel free to do what you want with your $.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2011, 08:00:56 pm »
I prefer to keep it simple while driving. Plain and simple. There are too many distractions, traffic, etc.

Maybe other systems in other cars are better than others, I've only seen this one. My opinion is based on what I've seen in the Ford dealership. Not my cup of tea, feel free to do what you want with your $.

You mean like having headlights in your car that perform worse and are less bright than stock headlights?  Yes, we see what tremendous emphasis you put on having things work the right way more efficiently... :stick:

As for the MyTouch.  We understand.  It's too much, too fast for you.  We get it, and don't think less of you.  To each their own.   ;)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 08:09:43 pm by rrocket »

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2011, 08:34:56 pm »
I just think the whole voice thing is kind of cumbersome and slow.

You push a button on the wheel,it chimes and says "say a command"... then you say..."radio station 103 point 5"

Seems to me I just could have pushed the preset on the radio and been done
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2011, 08:37:36 pm »

You mean like having headlights in your car that perform worse and are less bright than stock headlights?  Yes, we see what tremendous emphasis you put on having things work the right way more efficiently... :stick:

As for the MyTouch.  We understand.  It's too much, too fast for you.  We get it, and don't think less of you.  To each their own.   ;)

Feeling a little snarky tonight rrocket? ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2011, 08:42:03 pm »

Feeling a little snarky tonight rrocket? ;D

Well...he's complaining about poor design and effectively calling it a safety hazard, yet he has no issues with having 8000K lighting on his car that has fewer lumens than his stock headlights.  A bit perplexing IMO.