Author Topic: New high tech dangers?  (Read 4037 times)

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
New high tech dangers?
« on: February 13, 2011, 06:19:58 pm »
 I've test driven a couple of cars lately with quite sophisticated displays with either touch screens(Ford) or a mouse (Lexus) that control things like stereo, climate control,nav,phone etc. As I was navigating through the menus I was thinking to myself that this is at least as distracting as dialing or talking on a handheld cell phone while driving. (Something that is apparently so dangerous that it has been prohibited by law in most provinces). I could easily see how you could rear end someone while trying to bring up the screen with the radio presets or adjust the fan speed. It could be especially bad in rental cars where the drivers aren't familiar with the systems. Just imagine the spectacular crashes around airport parking lots as drivers try and turn on the defogger in the Hertz they just picked up. ;D

Seriously though, does anyone else see this as being a potential safety issue?
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: New high tech dangers?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 06:42:11 pm »
Yes. I much prefer buttons. The only thing that should require a more complex UI should be GPS, not the heater.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 06:56:18 pm »
KISS
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 07:09:32 pm »
Agree on the distraction factor of those menu screens. I'd rather them keep the conventional buttons and knobs but add voice commands to everything. You should be able to say smth like "preset 5" without having to press anything and change a radio station, same with climate control, defroster, seat warmers and other things.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

vdk

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 07:15:55 pm »
I would rather have a combination of knobs and buttons for stereo/climate control than a series of menus on a 5" touch screen.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 07:48:06 pm »
I know on the Lexus mouse system because of the haptic feedback, you memorize the system and how many "clicks" to get to the function you want.

But also, on many of the high end systems you refer to, they also have voice control.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 08:05:51 pm »
I know on the Lexus mouse system because of the haptic feedback, you memorize the system and how many "clicks" to get to the function you want.

Key word 'memorize'
  I remember reading something about cars in North America, one of the reasons that they had foot dimmer switches was because som engineer's wife was ticked off that when she rented a car, she couldn't figure out the dimmer switch.  There's a reason that car manufacturers make things common.,
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 08:34:07 pm »

Key word 'memorize'
  I remember reading something about cars in North America, one of the reasons that they had foot dimmer switches was because som engineer's wife was ticked off that when she rented a car, she couldn't figure out the dimmer switch.  There's a reason that car manufacturers make things common.,

We have to re-learn radio controls and HVAC controls for every car, since the buttons are not in the same place from car to car.  Ditto the placement of trunk and fuel hatch buttons, etc.  So we are memorizing the buttons on our cars.

The Lexus system (for me) was the same way.  There were only 6 icons per page.  Click, click, click. Push mouse button.  Done.  It was as easy as re-learning the radio buttons or heater functions..for me anyways.

And it's an option like every other similar system in cars, so it's not like you don't have a choice of regular buttons.  But once you learn it (some are easier to learn than others) you're able to navigate it easy without minimal taking the eyes off the road.

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 08:52:54 pm »
Not sure about the Lexus but Ford uses Microsoft's Sync which has some very good voice recognition technology. Why bother navigate the menu when you can press the button on the steering wheel and command the car to do your bidding? :)

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 09:03:06 pm »
I absolutely agree with the OP. The attempt at wow factor via technology is NOT appreciated, neither is the demand to memorize all this, as if its their money not mine, and I'm given the so called "privilege" of having this stuff! Actually, its an insult to our intelligence. For example, I wonder how many more bimmers would have been sold if they didn't introduce i-drive. I'm one of those lost customers, there must be more.

Who asked for this crap anyway? Answer - the Marketing Department, not the customer!   

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 09:05:04 pm »
Not sure about the Lexus but Ford uses Microsoft's Sync which has some very good voice recognition technology. Why bother navigate the menu when you can press the button on the steering wheel and command the car to do your bidding? :)

Yea, it has voice.  Lots of the top tier ones have both.

Offline Marko

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 09:07:24 pm »
But talking aloud when no other person is around is weird! People'll think you're cookoo!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 09:09:10 pm »
But talking aloud when no other person is around is weird! People'll think you're cookoo!

Sometimes I'm the only person around worth talking to... ;)

vdk

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 09:09:33 pm »
Is this any less distracting than talking on a phone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpavaEylDIc

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 09:15:04 pm »

Having kids in a car is pretty damn distracting for people too...

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 02:51:57 pm »

Having kids in a car is pretty damn distracting for people too...

That's what trunks are for.  ;D
Mr Pickypants

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 03:23:27 pm »
Last year I rented a Grand Cherokee that had the Pioneer touch screen stereo.  I hated it.  The high seating position coupled with the ride meant that I was forever pressing the wrong button and having to scroll back through menus.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 04:29:44 pm »
Poke tha kid in the eye.... Command SHUTUP.........and I drive peacefully ;D

command & control....................R tradesmart.
Time is to stop everything happening at once

CatsEye68

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011, 05:31:02 pm »
I absolutely agree with the OP. The attempt at wow factor via technology is NOT appreciated, neither is the demand to memorize all this, as if its their money not mine, and I'm given the so called "privilege" of having this stuff! Actually, its an insult to our intelligence. For example, I wonder how many more bimmers would have been sold if they didn't introduce i-drive. I'm one of those lost customers, there must be more.

Who asked for this crap anyway? Answer - the Marketing Department, not the customer!   

While I agree with your main point, I suspect the last statement is likely not fully accurate. There is a generation today that grew up with cellphones and their inscrutable, non-intuitive commands, that wants the interface with their car to be similar. I think these folks look at all this junk on the showroom floor and think "Cool!" and buy it, even though much of it is either useless or of questionable value. But to that generation, it is a selling feature.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2011, 06:48:37 pm »
I am a proponent of the basic knobs/buttons for the major functions.

More obscure (ie: stuff you don't need while driving) stuff can go away in some fancy pants menu, or voice control, but I really shouldn't need to hit more than one button or turn one knob to increase fan speed.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!