Author Topic: New high tech dangers?  (Read 4024 times)

vdk

Re: New high tech dangers?
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2011, 09:19:58 pm »
Let me ask this board a question: how do all these high-tech features improve your driving experience? I agree that, in Toronto, going to work at 8.15 in the morning is rather boring, and being able to talk with your car is pretty neat. I just don't see how all these features would matter on a Sunday drive, and that's what we live for don't we?

I mean the Cars you would love but are too scared to buy? thread is full of old-school cars with no fancy electronics and the such, and we love them. So why does a voice activated climate control matter to you when you can just reach and turn a knob faster than you can say 'Temperature 23 degrees' -- 'Is that C or F Sir?'.

:)

Offline overtakeyouintheleftlane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2003 Pontiac Grand AM (sent for scrap), 2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon (sold) and a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2017 Hyundai Accent GL sedan
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2011, 06:41:06 am »
"I just think the whole voice thing is kind of cumbersome and slow. You push a button on the wheel,it chimes and says "say a command"... then you say..."radio station 103 point 5". Seems to me I just could have pushed the preset on the radio and been done" - sailor723, I agree, much faster to hit the button on the radio.

VDK- "So why does a voice activated climate control matter to you when you can just reach and turn a knob faster than you can say 'Temperature 23 degrees' -- 'Is that C or F Sir?'." - Agreed. Improving something that doesn't need improving.

My headlights work well for me. Thank you very much for your concern/input rrocket. Projector HID works very well compared to halogens.

To each their own.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2011, 06:44:12 am »
Let me ask this board a question: how do all these high-tech features improve your driving experience? I agree that, in Toronto, going to work at 8.15 in the morning is rather boring, and being able to talk with your car is pretty neat. I just don't see how all these features would matter on a Sunday drive, and that's what we live for don't we?

I mean the Cars you would love but are too scared to buy? thread is full of old-school cars with no fancy electronics and the such, and we love them. So why does a voice activated climate control matter to you when you can just reach and turn a knob faster than you can say 'Temperature 23 degrees' -- 'Is that C or F Sir?'.

:)

It depends on what the high tech features are, or at least for me.  Do features like voice controls improve my driving experience?  No,  not really.  Some like intelligent cruise control, plugging in a 100gig hard drive loaded full of MP3s, etc certainly enhance the driving experience.  It all depends on what kind of vehicle you are talking about as well.  I like having these extra features in our daily family vehicle, however I have zero interest in them if purchasing a summer toy.  My S2000 is about as simple as it gets in this area and I am more than fine with that.  Heck, it's rare that I even turn my stereo on in the S2000.   :)
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2011, 06:47:04 am »
To each their own.

Yep, I completely agree.  Everyone has a choice and if you don't want any of the higher tech features in your car you don't need to purchase it.  But to say something is junk just because it's not your cup of tea doesn't make it so.