Author Topic: What are your thoughts on this?  (Read 4803 times)

Offline Blue01

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +13/-13
    • View Profile
What are your thoughts on this?
« on: February 11, 2011, 11:31:06 pm »
I'm looking for people's opinions on a "minor" occurance that happened to us the other day.
We were boarding a Canjet flight in Manzanillo, returning to Vancouver.  As everyone was getting seated, the stewardess made an announcement and asked that because there was someone on board the plane with a severe peanut allergy, no one was to eat any peanuts or products containing peanuts.
WTF!!
I have low blood sugar, and had brought a bag of salted, lime flavoured peanuts (god, they're good!) to hold me over until the meal was served.
Now what am I going to do?  I swore, and heard a number of others responding in a similar manner.
Fortunately, my S.O. found a small bag of crackers as I was getting panicky.
So it boils down to this: one person has a condition that impacts up to 130 other people.  I'm not too familiar with what causes a peanut reaction other than eating them, but could not, or should not, this person have taken it upon themselves to inconvenience themself by maybe wearing a surgical mask, or something similar?
I was somewhat pissed, as were many others.

What are your thoughts?

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-167
    • View Profile
Re: What are your thoughts on this?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 11:47:10 pm »
What the airline did was complete nonsense and you were entirely right to be P.O.'d.

If it was "asked" that no one eat peanuts, I'd simply refuse to comply with the request. If it was ordered, I'd be lodging complaints and making a nuisance of myself.

Unfortunately, this is the general direction of things today...that people aren't responsible for their own welfare; everybody else is responsible. The "no peanuts" directive is the currently trendy fad among do-gooders. One of the local establishments that I frequent has a no-peanut policy because they have a daycare on site and they pretend that they are looking after the welfare of children. I ignore the policy and always eat peanuts there.

Fact is, I'm a very big consumer of peanuts. I actually have about a four servings a day, seven days a week. I don't eat much red meat and peanuts are a significant protein supplement for my diet. If this bothers anyone, I couldn't possibly care less. If people feel that I'm a danger to them, they are welcome to keep their distance from me (which would probably make us BOTH happier).

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 12:03:28 am »
1 cup of peanuts weighing 145 g. contains 71.9 grams of fat.

So I would have little problem complying.  I would have a problem with a booze ban though.  :)

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 12:54:38 am »
1 cup of peanuts weighing 145 g. contains 71.9 grams of fat.

In defense of the peanut (from Wikipedia):

"Peanuts are rich in nutrients, providing over 30 essential nutrients and phytonutrients. Peanuts are a good source of niacin, folate, fiber, magnesium, vitamin E, manganese and phosphorus. They also are naturally free of trans-fats and sodium, and contain about 25% protein (a higher proportion than in any true nut).[19]
While peanuts are considered high in fat, they primarily contain “good” fats also known as unsaturated fats. One serving of peanuts contains 11.5 g unsaturated fat and 2 g of saturated fat."

I weigh (as of today) 161lbs but I'm hoping to lose 5 lbs by spring (still working on some Xmas weight). My last measured blood pressure was 109 over 75 with a resting pulse of about 50 (I've measured it as low as 46 in the last week). My doctor says I have "perfect blood" with freakishly low cholesterol.

Ironically, this is not because I'm a health fanatic. I'm too lazy to cook and too cheap to order in. The net result is that I eat a lot of cheap, raw food...consuming ridiculous amounts of cereal, nuts and raisins bought in bulk.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 06:04:31 am »
Was there not a previous thread on this? 

http://www.canadiandriver.com/forum/index.php/topic,71817.0.html

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 06:38:14 am »
I have heard this before coming back on a trip, fun how you do not heard the announce on the trip drop mmmm

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 06:22:30 pm »
Depends on how severe. I have no idea if a surgical mask would suffice... but some people are so sensitive that if you ate one peanut and then later on walked past that person with the allergy they could go into shock and die. That's how bad they are. It's not good... Makes me a bit worried for peoples health.

On the upside apparently making out can help allergic reactions :)

Seriously: http://io9.com/#!5758133/could-kissing-ease-your-allergies

(Probably not severe peanut allergies)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 06:33:30 pm »
IQ has a sever peanut allergy.  She carries an epi pen with her..in case.  That being said, she says it's an unreasonable request UNLESS the smell of the peanuts caused a reaction.

She says "Allergic to peanuts?  Don't touch/eat them"
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 06:59:31 pm »
If your peanut allergy is so severe that you cannot be in a plane if someone eats peanuts, then I suggest you should stay home.

I know peanut allergies can be nasty, but it's just a little ridiculous to spring that surprise on everyone after they've boarded.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 07:23:13 pm »
Equally as bad, is kid's can't bring any peanut products to school anymore... ::)

Offline kard00d

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 11:04:44 pm »
My thoughts are:

Having to snack on crackers instead of peanuts on the way back from vacation is not the end of the world.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 12:18:58 am »
My thoughts are:

Having to snack on crackers instead of peanuts on the way back from vacation is not the end of the world.

But one person inconveniencing an entire flight is silly...

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 12:36:11 am »
Admittedly nobody NEEDS to eat peanuts, so point to the allergic guy...

But on the other hand, where does it end? What if I get really ill at the smell of cigarette smoke, and the guy next to me is a chainsmoker whose clothes are all infested? Does he have to get off the plane now?

If this guy is really THAT allergic he/she should probably not fly commercial. :)
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline kard00d

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 01:29:19 am »
Was an entire flight inconvenienced?  Did anyone really give a :censor: besides the OP (and the other people he 'perceived' to be on his side).   

Had to eat crackers instead of peanuts until the main meal came?  Oh dear! The horror.. the horror!

They didn't ban peanuts forever on all flights.  Someone on the plane was concerned enough for his health (or the health of a family member) to talk to the airline to get accommodated.    They are only asking to avoid one food and the rest of the passengers have many alternative snack choices.   

Save your principles for something that matters.   This is up there with "suing for coffee being too hot", or "McDonalds made me fat".

Perhaps the airline should have served chill pills....

I've just realize how dumb internet forums are....

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 08:19:18 am »
Kardoo.........YER NUTS............... ::) :bang:..PIS-Taschio Orff.......P.S yer breath smells of Macadamias............
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 08:38:05 am »
I wonder if this person takes public transat?

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011, 08:39:00 am »
That would be public Air transat?  ;)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011, 08:41:30 am »
..NO.............they take out all the seats and carpets between flights and DE NUTZ 'em......... ;D

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 09:50:32 am »
 This is up there with "suing for coffee being too hot", or "McDonalds made me fat".

I agree.

The idiot who banned peanuts on the flight is the same kind of idiot who won't be responsible for his own actions.

The peanut jerk is right up there with the worst of them.

People have to take responsibility for their own welfare. Folks who can't balance hot coffee should drink from a canteen and people who eat at McDonalds every day should spend some time introducing themselves to a salad. People with peanut allergies have to be responsible for removing themselves from the allergen...not making everybody else responsible.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 09:59:35 am »
 This is up there with "suing for coffee being too hot", or "McDonalds made me fat".

I agree.

The idiot who banned peanuts on the flight is the same kind of idiot who won't be responsible for his own actions.

The peanut jerk is right up there with the worst of them.

People have to take responsibility for their own welfare. Folks who can't balance hot coffee should drink from a canteen and people who eat at McDonalds every day should spend some time introducing themselves to a salad. People with peanut allergies have to be responsible for removing themselves from the allergen...not making everybody else responsible.

There is a big difference between supersizing at MacD's and having a life threatening allergy I think. You seem to be saying, for example, that people with no legs shouldn't inconvenience you with their wheel chairs. Blind people should be careful with the white sticks and so on.