Author Topic: Maybe I should call Lady Osis Daisy Duke?  (Read 4677 times)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Maybe I should call Lady Osis Daisy Duke?
« on: February 11, 2011, 06:39:54 pm »
Lady Osis and her friend were driving to the spa in Moosejaw when the following happened:

Police warned of treacherous driving conditions on the Trans-Canada Highway between Regina and Moose Jaw Friday after several crashes — including one involving a daredevil driver.

RCMP said there were four crashes on the highway near Belle Plaine early Friday.

Police said the first crash occurred around 10 a.m. CT just east of Belle Plaine when a Dodge Grand Caravan lost control on the ice and snow-covered highway and rolled into the center median. All four of the occupants were taken to hospital in Regina with undisclosed injuries.

Later, a tow-truck was trying to remove a vehicle from the ditch from the previous night when the driver of a 2006 Nissan ignored warning cones to slow down.

The Nissan "did a 'Dukes of Hazzard,'" police said in a news release.

"While the ramp of the tow truck was down, the Nissan drove up the ramp and landed on its roof in the middle of the highway," the release said.

The two occupants were taken to hospital in Regina with undisclosed injuries.

Then, a 2006 Chevrolet lost control on the ice and slid into the ditch near the scene.

RCMP said they were looking at charges under the Traffic Safety Act against the 'Dukes of Hazzard' driver, whose name has not been disclosed.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/saskatchewan/story/2011/02/11/sk-rcmp-highways-advisory.html#ixzz1Dh9myeOl

They are both a bit bruised up but ok. The tow truck was in their lane just around a bend in the highway near Pense. The driver, Lady Osis', friend insists the cones were no more than 50ft from the end of the tow truck. In any event she hit ice and spun out and went flying up the lowered ramp of the tow truck. Very lucky that the injuries weren't worse, and no one else was involved.

I and the other husband went to look over the car. Very lucky indeed:
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Maybe I should call Lady Osis Daisy Duke?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 06:47:42 pm »
Only :censor:
So she did clear the cab of the tow truck  :o

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 06:57:10 pm »
They hit it at an angle. Apparently missed the headache rack by inches.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 07:01:33 pm »
Wow!  Glad to hear they're all right.

So,you come around a corner and a tow truck is right there,stopped in your lane obstructing the highway. It's icey and you can't stop in time. Where's the charge in that? Driving too fast for conditions? How do you know it's too fast until you can't stop? Maybe it wasn't too fast 500yards further back when it wasn't so slick. Sounds like a gray area to me.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 07:06:04 pm »
Holey moley!  Glad to hear that there was only bruising involved
If it was anything like the atrocious road conditions that greeted me when I arrived in Calgary this past Monday I can understand why there were accidents..

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 07:09:54 pm »

So,you come around a corner and a tow truck is right there,stopped in your lane obstructing the highway. It's icey and you can't stop in time. Where's the charge in that? Driving too fast for conditions? How do you know it's too fast until you can't stop? Maybe it wasn't too fast 500yards further back when it wasn't so slick. Sounds like a gray area to me.

It looks like it's "driving without due care and attention". The situation is basically as you described it. The roads had been fine right up until that point. She had practically new Michelin X-Ice tires on it, so tires weren't really an issue, and lord knows Lady Osis's friend doesn't drive fast.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 07:10:08 pm »

Happened to a couple of people I know:  my mother, she came around a turn, over a hill, and there was a towtruck in the middle of the road (a narrow 2 lane NB back road) pulling a car out of the ditch.  She made it around ok, I don't know how, but the truck behind her didn't.

I also know of a guy who was riding a motorcycle, came over a blind knoll, there was a towtruck with a cable pulling a car out of the ditch, with predictable results and funeral.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 07:19:01 pm »
Glad they are OK. That could have gone really badly. I bet they were happy they were belted in!

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 07:25:32 pm »
Glad they are OK. That could have gone really badly. I bet they were happy they were belted in!

For sure. None of the airbags deployed which is pretty impressive really. Huge props for Nissan's job on the Sentra's passenger cell! :bow2:

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 07:26:42 pm »
I think I'd be fighting that one. Did the tow truck have flares out? safety triangles? Were they placed an appropriate distance from the scene and taking into account sightlines? Sounds like the tow truck at least partially created the situation.

The whole "Dukes of Hazzard" quote seems kind of unprofessional on the part of the RCMP. :-\

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 07:31:15 pm »
I think I'd be fighting that one. Did the tow truck have flares out? safety triangles? Were they placed an appropriate distance from the scene and taking into account sightlines? Sounds like the tow truck at least partially created the situation.

The whole "Dukes of Hazzard" quote seems kind of unprofessional on the part of the RCMP. :-\

Yeah, the Dukes quote wasn't necessary. Really misrepresents the age and maturity of the driver.

The RCMP are saying the cones were placed 250ft from the rear of the truck. The driver thought It was more like 50. Given the sight lines, I'm not sure if even 250ft would have been adequate.

vdk

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 09:16:58 pm »
Daredevil driver? Please...  ::)

I'm glad to hear the ladies are okay. ;D

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 11:24:47 pm »
Woah.  Glad no serious life threatening injuries.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 11:25:34 pm »
Crazy Cooter should've radioed Daisy to tell her what he was up to.  Was he pulling out Boss Hogg's Caddy?

Glad to hear everyone is in good shape... :)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 06:57:02 am »
Was it only the tow truck there? No highway maintence truck helping out or cops checking on traffic?
Were it's lights flashing ?

Check out Bella Plaine on google map. there is only 2 sweeping curves on the higway :o

The Dukes comment was funny  and maybe it should more the cop's age who gave out the report

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 09:12:46 am »
Glad to hear both are alright and nothing more serious came from this.

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 10:29:10 am »
Lucky Lady Osis seems to fit the best. Glad she is ok :thumbup:.

Years ago had a similar situation - coming home at night and roads bare and then black ice! Slid off the road and head first into a slight gully. Got out ok, but still very unnerving.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 10:45:27 am »
 WOW wot SPA woz that   ....."Evil Kneivels CANYON LAUNCH"...........

super that the ladies are in fine fettle after their total body experience...ya better rub wifey the right way today Sir O,,,,give her yer Valentino SPECIAL...............and put the ramps under the bed..... :)......

P.S just labeled wifey's Valentines Chockies & roses...."To the LOVE of MY LIFEOR OCCUPANT............. :run:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 11:21:22 am by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011, 07:08:24 pm »
Your family gets into some crazy accidents
Yout dad's and the transport and now this
Just crazy/hr
I been drive for over 36 years and never been one over 3 km/hr and that was in parking lot

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2011, 07:14:53 pm »
Surprised the RCMP didn't Taser the ladies while they were still buckled in the car.....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...