Author Topic: Kids today are fracked  (Read 2758 times)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Kids today are fracked
« on: February 11, 2011, 10:56:06 am »
It's the 16th birthday of a friends daughter, they awoke to find a note saying that now that she's turned 16 she knows she has the right to move out and they can't do anything about it.  She apparently sneaked/moved out during the night sometime and isn't going to tell them where she is and they have no right to find out of call the police.
Some brilliant politicians came up with this wonderful law that lets 16 year old girls live on the streets and their parents have no rights once they hit that birthday, not to mention they will now be little leeches on society collecting their first welfare cheques.  Oh yay.

She has a very loving family who do everything they can for their kids.  There is certainly no abuse, they live in a nice house, they are good people.  My wife just spoke to the kid (she feels like family to her) last month and we promised to get her driving lessons for her birthday, guess that's down the toilet.   She was happy when she got off the phone saying that she was proud of how the kid seemed to have a good head on her shoulders and was starting to become a reasonable teen who seemed to have figured out where she was going in life. (apparently she's a good actor)

I can think of a minority of cases where the kids are better off on their own, this law doesn't discriminate and lets brats from the 'burbs panhandle on the streets thinking they are cool. They think it's a job.

Sorry for the rant, but WTF?  All the kids know of this law and use it constantly to threaten their parents into giving them whatever they want, then they move out anyway because obviously they are ready for the world.  I think they are only ready for a good kick in the ass.

Mr Pickypants

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Re: Kids today are fracked
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 11:01:39 am »
..she can always sell her "eggs" in Mumbai............................... :run:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 11:21:07 am »
On the flip side, having 16 yr old kids legally able to fend for themselves allows many of my students to lead much better lives.  I see a few hundred kids that benefit everyday from such freedom.  If granting some spoiled brats the right to tell their parents to f-off means my students can say the same (and say no to abuse the likes of which most people cannot imagine) then I'll take it.

... seemed to have a good head on her shoulders and was starting to become a reasonable teen who seemed to have figured out where she was going in life. (apparently she's a good actor)

There is obviously something going in the background that you (and perhaps even her parents) do not know about.

...not to mention they will now be little leeches on society collecting their first welfare cheques.  Oh yay.

...All the kids know of this law and use it constantly to threaten their parents into giving them whatever they want, then they move out anyway because obviously they are ready for the world.  I think they are only ready for a good kick in the ass.

I know you're upset, but I know few kids that use that tactic, and I know a LOT of teenagers.  Given the demographic of my school's student population, I rail against teen stereotypes every day.  Also, my school is located in a very wealthy community, the wealthiest in the province.  Money, nice house, nice car, good parental careers are no guarantee of a "great kid."  A few of my students come from from "nice" homes where the parents can't figure out where they went wrong.  Not saying this happened here, but the thing I hear the most is "but we bought little Johnny/Julie everything they wanted."

If you are a parent of a pre-teen, you need to be on your A-game as they gain independence.  Many people I know think the parenting chores ease off, but in reality, as they begin to look like adults they need the most parenting of their lives.  Peers will have incredible influence and if your child's peers are the "wrong group" you need to deal with that swiftly.  Sounds impossible, but it's not.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 12:00:40 pm »

... seemed to have a good head on her shoulders and was starting to become a reasonable teen who seemed to have figured out where she was going in life. (apparently she's a good actor)

There is obviously something going in the background that you (and perhaps even her parents) do not know about.

My wife talks to this kid very openly and honestly about life, tries to be her older-sister/mentor (she also has a degree in adolescent child psychology). Just a few weeks ago they discussed whether she was still considering moving out when she turned 16, as she had threatened to do on her 15th birthday.   She told her she was no longer planning on that and thought she had it pretty good at home and was looking forward to negotiating some new freedoms as she got older.  She was now getting excellent grades and thinking of getting into volunteering to see what she might want to do with her life.
My wife was so proud of her and that it seemed she had turned a corner onto the right path as she had been wavering earlier, but had been doing much better for months. 

That's why this seems so unexpected, we don't know if she was lying all this time or if something happened.  Her parents are angry and at a loss.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 12:03:34 pm »
There is no way there isn't something else going on behind the scenes. You can get married, get a full time job and move out all at 16 in the UK, but no one does, it's too good at home.

All sensible kids will be fine.

P.S. The sooner mine move out the sooner I can get a Ferrari.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 12:19:23 pm »
If you are a parent of a pre-teen, you need to be on your A-game as they gain independence.  Many people I know think the parenting chores ease off, but in reality, as they begin to look like adults they need the most parenting of their lives.  Peers will have incredible influence and if your child's peers are the "wrong group" you need to deal with that swiftly.  Sounds impossible, but it's not.

^Exactly what my wife said to me not 10 minutes ago. 

The kid in question's parents put her in a better school this school year to get her away from the "wrong group" and drove her to and from school every day, amongst other things.  For the most part they didn't seem to be slacking off,  I'd say they were more involved than ever.

I don't envy parents today, some kids just naturally are predisposed to run towards danger.  You can increase your vigilance but what do you do when they screw up?  Grounding them and taking privileges away no longer works once they know they don't have to listen to you once they turn 16. 

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 12:30:37 pm »
..Maybe they only promised her a BASIC JETTA on her 16th.... :light:..........................

how the HELL do WE know wot's going on in this kid's head,when i don't know what i want fer lunch......

leave her alone (if she's NOT in TROUBLE,pregnancy,bad Boyfriend,drugs) and she will come home.if NOT ..............life's dramas unfold as they will..................

vdk

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 12:33:36 pm »
I remember when I was 16... tough times. Split between what you're told at home, and the values of your 'entourage'.

Is there absolutely nothing the police can do here? At least find the daughter so her parents can talk to her. Seems rather drastic to just move out like that.

Any siblings?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 12:55:47 pm »
..If they really wanna find out where she is...TWIT-HER ov'r the head with TEXT'ER...say the Facebook account is cancelled.........

seriously brow beat the cops into getting her cell records....say she may be lost inna woods @-35C.....this no "missing person" fer 48hrs is BS...I'd lie my arse off to the cops till they put up an amber farkin alert..who goes AWOL in MID WINTER.....she has a BASE CAMP..phone records will show this....get real folks..............

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 12:59:21 pm »
There is no way there isn't something else going on behind the scenes. You can get married, get a full time job and move out all at 16 in the UK, but no one does, it's too good at home.

All sensible kids will be fine.

We've known these people forever and my wife if very close to them. There is nothing going on behind the scenes at home except the normal rules teenagers sometimes hate to live by, rules like no drinking or drugs, staying out all night, etc.
Some kids are just not sensible.  I've known a few friends whose kid moved out at 16 simply because since they have the legal right to they think they should.  It's what all the cool kids are doing.   We used to look forward to getting our license at 16 and some more freedom, now some of them skip the license and just move out like it's the new right of passage.   I know it's a minority of kids doing this, but it seems like a problem with no easy solution.

I know there must be lot of kids who are better off on their own and that is what this law if about, but this really isn't the case here. 
She is fearless, knows everything, and wants to do everything, right now.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 01:02:25 pm »
..NO WORRIES then. ::).............why get us all worked up..............she has friends ,money a cell and probably a credit card................wait till they run out...............or she gets bored with the FREEDOM or NOT..........

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 01:04:43 pm »
..NO WORRIES then. ::).............why get us all worked up..............she has friends ,money a cell and probably a credit card................wait till they run out...............or she gets bored with the FREEDOM or NOT..........

No money, no cell, no credit card, probably staying with friends, dunno.     

Ready for the world.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 01:24:39 pm »
Then I'd just say fine, do it. We're here when you need us.

vdk

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 01:31:16 pm »

She is fearless, knows everything, and wants to do everything, right now.

That can backfire rather quickly.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 01:43:20 pm »
Wow, WTF indeed!!!

Our oldest is 6 1/2.  I figure I've 5 or 6 more years 'til the attitude starts.  I'm sooo not looking forward to the teenage years!
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 02:09:40 pm »
You do what you can. Hopefully whatever mistakes they made will be recoverable, and not F'd for life.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 02:26:09 pm »
You do what you can. Hopefully whatever mistakes they made will be recoverable, and not F'd for life.

Ya, "good fortune" plays a major part in things.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 02:53:15 pm »

It doesn't get any easier as they get older.  I think I'd rather be changing diapers again than dealing with wild hormonal mood swings now.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 02:58:41 pm »

It doesn't get any easier as they get older.  I think I'd rather be changing diapers again than dealing with wild hormonal mood swings now.

My daughter is almost 5 and I already feel that it was much more easier when I was changing dipers.

Offline dash

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Acura RLX hybrid
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 04:35:38 pm »
blur,

This hits close to home as we have experienced a major change in our family dynamics due to child becoming a teenager, another one right behind! I feel for those parents as this must be tearing their hearts to pieces, second guessing themselves and so worried for their daughter.
 There so much peer pressure out there, miss-information and yes kids today know the laws. There has been a great sense of entitlement change in the past decades and ‘our’ kids have learned that early and better then us, this does not make it right, though.
Many families and many teenagers are in therapy because of all of today’s stress and pressures place on them whether self-inflicted or imposed.
I hope this girl realizes very quickly what good loving family she came from and heads home.
"Why be quiet, and thought a fool, when you can speak up and remove all doubt"