Author Topic: Have you ever bought a car when you went out to buy something else?  (Read 4856 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Or bought a completely different car from the one you set out to buy, on the same day?

I ended up putting a deposit down on the Exige when I went to look at old TVR's.

Seats four, 0-60 in 4.0 seconds flat.  :o  Bought the Exige as it would never break down, TVR's do. A lot.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
Re: Have you ever bought a car when you went out to buy something else?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 01:37:45 am »
Have you ever bought a car when you went out to buy something else ... Yes, but in 1/18 scale.

Love the sexy look of that TVR.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 01:42:02 am »
And it has an amazingly intoxicating V8 that revs above 8K, it was a very memorable test drive.

vdk

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 02:16:30 am »
Went to look at the new Golf... ended up with an older GTI. Does that count? ;D

Hey, the previous owner bought it on my birthday - I felt a connection there!  :rofl2:

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 06:39:35 am »
Yes. Went out to buy a new BMW.  Dealership staff ( sales puke and sales manager) at Waterloo  pissed me off such that I went off to go to another BMW dealer ( Budds probably).  Just sorta stopped in at Georgetown VW for a look at a GTI and bought one.   Ended that day $30K richer ( less poor) with my 3rd GTI in 20 years... and my first car with no clutch pedal for 33 years.  Weird.

Strictly  I was going out to buy a car rather than a non-car item 
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 07:22:02 am »
Did I ever mention that I went out to get a loaf of bread and on the way....... :rofl2: :drive:

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 07:24:48 am »
Love that TVR man. :thumbup: :banana: :drv2:
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

swishguy

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 08:17:38 am »
Back in  1987 I went into a nissan showroom to buy the new pathfinder. They had a new all black Nissan 300zx in the showroom. Accidently left with that one instead!

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 08:40:56 am »
I have never done anyhthing that crazy, closest was I went to buy 'my first' car and was ready to buy an incentive-loaded Cavalier, but walked away with a 5-speed Alero coupe (for cheaper!).

Then when I was trading in my Camaro for a cheap economical car I was all set on buying the base Cobalt with wind up windows.  I left with a Cobalt SS.

The RX-8 and WRX were planned purchases, I am getting better with this.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 09:46:26 am »
Good topic!

I walked in to Peninsula motorsports prepared to be "pushed a little" to buy a Ducati.

The sales dude was downright depressing.  Knowing just a little about sales, I threw out buying signals like crazy...and they all went by him.

I walked out and immediately started the search that ended with the RX-8.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 09:51:32 am »
Well never a car (unless you count the Yaris I bought at auction on a whim).

But I went to buy speaker stands once and came home with a $3000 receiver ....

Offline erich

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-125
    • View Profile
  • Cars: current: 2023 Genesis G70 2.0t,2019 Infiniti QX50, previous:2017 Subaru Legacy, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2012 Genesis Coupe 2.0T, 2010 Subaru Forrester, 2004 Honda Civic, 2000 SAAB 9-3, 2000 Dodge Caravan, 2000 VW Golf, 1996 Suzuki Baleno, 1990 Subary Justy 1.0GL
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 11:29:18 am »
My wife even sent her parents a picture of the Matrix we were going to buy, then got a better deal on a Civic (and we are happy with it).
I was looking for a BMW, test drove an M-B and an Audi and ended with the SAAB. (and I am happy with that too).
Only it did not happen on the same day.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 11:31:10 am by erich »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 11:40:42 am »
Went to the local Volvo dealer to get an oil filter for the P1800 and came home with a V70R. Expensive filter.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 11:48:07 am »
..Drove by the Honda dealer,on the way to pick up some airline tickets for a Florida trip...they had the "new style" this is the 80's folks PRELUDE 5 speed in the window in a lovely metallic blue.....went in fer a LOOK SEE......(deposit flew outta my pocket).........and I couldn't fully enjoy the Florida vacation waiting to get back to drive the thing (Dealer insisted as it was his only one left he needed something to show for a week......I had bad dreams of "DASH SQUEEZERS& kiddies wif Ice cream !!!!!!).............thing woz spotless on return...watta FUN car.................
   not too many years later getting ready to pick son up from Camp Queen Elizabeth.......we wandered in to a Dodge dealership (we had a 2nd hand GTX2000 aka Mitsu Galant) Wifey liked the new one in white with brown upholstery and while salesman knew he had a HOT buyer,i had to do the dance for 4 hours to get the right PRICE.....SOLD to the gentleman with a determined spouse...on picking up son...all he was concerned about was going back next summer to Beausoleil Island..Oh this one is white ,where's the RED ONE????..... ;D.....

Since then we have actually taken the time to Pre_think! car purchases.......NO MORE NEW ONES,unless some frree MANNA FALLETH FROM THE HEAVENS or the Lottery Corp.............
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 11:52:08 am by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 12:03:40 pm »
Wow didn't expect that from you saf!

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 12:06:39 pm »
..Drove by the Honda dealer,on the way to pick up some airline tickets for a Florida trip...they had the "new style" this is the 80's folks PRELUDE 5 speed in the window in a lovely metallic blue.....went in fer a LOOK SEE......(deposit flew outta my pocket).........and I couldn't fully enjoy the Florida vacation waiting to get back to drive the thing (Dealer insisted as it was his only one left he needed something to show for a week......I had bad dreams of "DASH SQUEEZERS& kiddies wif Ice cream !!!!!!).............thing woz spotless on return...watta FUN car.................
   not too many years later getting ready to pick son up from Camp Queen Elizabeth.......we wandered in to a Dodge dealership (we had a 2nd hand GTX2000 aka Mitsu Galant) Wifey liked the new one in white with brown upholstery and while salesman knew he had a HOT buyer,i had to do the dance for 4 hours to get the right PRICE.....SOLD to the gentleman with a determined spouse...on picking up son...all he was concerned about was going back next summer to Beausoleil Island..Oh this one is white ,where's the RED ONE????..... ;D.....

Since then we have actually taken the time to Pre_think! car purchases.......NO MORE NEW ONES,unless some frree MANNA FALLETH FROM THE HEAVENS or the Lottery Corp.............
A Honda? Oh the shame. :shake: :hide:
Railton

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 12:11:38 pm »
Wow didn't expect that from you saf!

WOT...that i actually have a car..................... ;D......prick me and i bleed 20W/50....( i have BIG Tolerances!!!).......i'm a true blue olde blood kinda guy.............

at the above time...the Lotus Elan woz still running...and I had just purchased the TransAlp to replace the  HONDA (Yes Sir Railton) XL350 thumper.................MY CUP RANNETH OV'R tho' not quite to
 OV'Rs chalice size............... ;)  wher is the olde fart..sunning his buns in Hawaii....bad fer ya man   GOOD FER ME tho'.....
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 03:44:53 pm by safristi »

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2011, 02:53:19 pm »
Went to the local Volvo dealer to get an oil filter for the P1800 and came home with a V70R. Expensive filter.

:winner:

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 03:46:32 pm »
 ::) BIG Volvos NEED BIGGER FILTERS............. :P.............suck it up buttercup.... :shuffle:

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 03:59:56 pm »
Nope.