Author Topic: And the winner of Super Bowl XLV is...Chrysler?  (Read 13773 times)

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
Re: And the winner of Super Bowl XLV is...Chrysler?
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2011, 09:45:12 am »
I don't think the Eminem commercial was only about the 200 at all, just what he happened to be driving and needed introduction right now. The commercial was about the Chrysler brand. The Chrysler brand was well served by that commercial in my estimation.

:thumbup:

Exactly. Excellent job by the ad agency.

:iagree:  And I like the Imported from Detroit slogan even more today  :stick:  haha
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2011, 09:47:50 am »
I had no idea that was Eminem i thought it was just some wigger....

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12397
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2011, 09:55:00 am »
So a TV spot with ANY of these would have been better than the 200 to boast about Detroit being "back"...

Agreed.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Mitlov

« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2011, 11:03:45 am »
i thought it was just some wigger....

:o  Are you for real?  You know that word's just a contraction for "white nigger," right?

The term is a portmanteau of white and nigger and was originally a slur against the Irish. The term is considered derogatory, reflecting stereotypes of African-American or Black British culture, and can be used pejoratively, because of its connotations of cultural appropriation. It is also often used in a racist manner, not only belittling the person perceived as acting black, but also demeaning black people and culture by proxy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wigger

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2011, 11:17:41 am »

:o  Are you for real?  You know that word's just a contraction for "white nigger," right?

The term is a portmanteau of white and nigger and was originally a slur against the Irish. The term is considered derogatory, reflecting stereotypes of African-American or Black British culture, and can be used pejoratively, because of its connotations of cultural appropriation. It is also often used in a racist manner, not only belittling the person perceived as acting black, but also demeaning black people and culture by proxy.

I was a bit startled to read that too. Knowing who it came from, laughter followed. That said, someone should really 'report' that post. Think a ban is in order!  :rofl2:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2011, 12:02:06 pm »

Big deal.  I understood what he meant, and didn't think for a second he was being racist.

Wing should be glad he didn't add in the word "retarded" to his comment.....I remember the hissy fits that word caused....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2011, 12:06:06 pm »
..actually it was shown in QUITE a DARK LIGHT(evening).......befitting the DARK NIGHT of the SOUL that had destroyed much of Detroit and Michigan for that matter..............of course they have had abysmal Mayors (CROOKS actually) and a lousy Govenor.time to take OUT THE TRASH DETROIT.............was there pre Christmas and they have some nice suburban business areas,but the flow is definitely to the SUB_URBS.....and away from Car Indusrty as the MEGA STAR............

I wish the Big 2 Laggards WELL...............Ford has shown them the WAY..the LIGHT(ness) and the TRUTHINESS...build great cars and advertise and sell them WELL..............CUSTOMER is JOB #1.....
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2011, 09:16:03 pm »
Wing, really? C'mon.

Based on a highly-unscientific survey of Facebook status updates from my friends, the Chrysler ad was the best of the Super Bowl.  Curious what non-American audiences would think of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15GcfkIdhPA

It's an OK commercial, not mind blowing in any way.  It's no E-Class!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krhB_An8fT4

:rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
Chevrolet Wins Viewership
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2011, 01:49:36 pm »
Here are the final results from Nielsen ratings.  It appears Chevrolet had the two highest viewed ads, VW had the best liked ad and Doritos had the most memorable

http://www.autoobserver.com//2011/02/automakers-scored-in-super-bowl-ads.html

That's according to television ratings authority Nielsen, which today reported a record-setting 119,628,000 viewers of the Chevrolet Camaro ad. Right behind the Camaro ad was another Chevrolet commercial, the Chevrolet Cruze spot, which was seen by 119,333,000 viewers. Both of these Chevrolet ads beat the previous record held by a Doritos commercial from 2010 (with 116,231,000 viewers).

It's worth noting that while automakers featured prominently in the "Most Viewed" and "Best Liked" lists, they didn't earn a single slot on Nielsen's Top 10 "Most Recalled" ads

Mitlov

« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2011, 04:45:02 pm »
More numbers rolling in, these from Edmunds:

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2011, 05:02:25 pm »
I must say that I thought the Beetle ad was great and the Passat one a bit Ho Hum. Darth Vader is an old story now.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2011, 05:06:28 pm »
More numbers rolling in, these from Edmunds:

Well I guess that's a reason for a sequel.  And it looks like Eminiem did sell out after all...

Chrysler's Eminem ad almost didn't happen, pair meeting today to discuss sequel

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/10/why-chrysler-and-eminems-super-bowl-ad-almost-didnt-happen/

The hit single Lose Yourself is the most successful song from Eminem's career to date. .... Countless ad agencies and companies have tried to license it for use in commercials, yet none received permission... that is, until Chrysler's Super Bowl ad hit TV screens around the world.

Eminem and Chrysler both call Detroit home...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2011, 09:57:32 pm »
^^Awesome.  Not sure if having a heroin addict as spokesperson is the greatest idea...but hey, the song sure is catchy...  :)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2011, 10:14:53 pm »
I had no idea what a "wigger" was. This place is educational! ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2011, 11:02:22 pm »
I'm still waiting for James to apologise.

vdk

« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2011, 11:32:12 pm »
Ex-heroin/cocaine/crackaddict. ;D

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2011, 11:54:03 pm »
I'm still waiting for James to apologise.

Yo shizzle?  ;D
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2011, 02:02:13 am »
I saw the commercial about 4 times tonight.  Although it was a bit shortened version, not once did it show Eminem, which I thought was odd.  Anyone care to guess why he wasn't shown in it??

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2011, 09:45:28 am »
For interests sake, I priced a loaded up 200 Limited. By checking every box, I ended up at $30k. That's a huge bargain for a 283hp mid-sized sedan complete with navi.

I had Sebrings on occasion as rentals. With the 3.5l, I though it worked pretty well for what it was, though the interior was not up to snuff, even for me. The new powertrain, interior, and cleaned up exterior will probably move some metal.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2011, 09:51:26 am »
I saw the commercial about 4 times tonight.  Although it was a bit shortened version, not once did it show Eminem, which I thought was odd.  Anyone care to guess why he wasn't shown in it??

They have to pay substantially more every time his face hits the TV? Plus, hard to work characters and people into car ads (well, Ford is doing it, but as 'regular' people).