Author Topic: And the winner of Super Bowl XLV is...Chrysler?  (Read 13771 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: And the winner of Super Bowl XLV is...Chrysler?
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2011, 03:23:13 pm »
Best-selling albums worldwide for 2010:

#1: Lady Gaga's Fame Monster: 5.9 million
#2: Eminem's Recovery: 5.8 million

Yeah, nobody knows who Eminem is  

To potential buyers of Sebrings  ???; grandparents primarily and rental fleets  :rofl2:

If you're going to hate on America's administration, that's cool, but don't put that hate on Staff Sgt. Salvatore Giunta.  And he's the one who was honored yesterday.  Not Bush, not Obama, but Staff Sgt. Giunta.  

It's always good to see you back Mitlov misrepresenting what ppl say.  At least you don't edit ppl's quotes anymore.  :)

As for Sgt. Giunta; good on him.  He won't be sent back to Afg, he won't get discharged from the Army in the upcoming cuts and when he does leave he'll find a job no problem.  Not like the 10s of thousands of other dischargees or soon to to be discharged vets, wounded vets, that America routinely tosses into the trash barrel.

Thanks for reminding me why I'm no longer spending significant time on internet forums.

You asked the question.  You threw the patriotism word out there.  You didn't like some of the replies.  You have your little cry like always and then do come back.  :)

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2011, 03:25:30 pm »
Mitlov...sorry if my phrasing was offensive to you. I was just trying to point out that inspite of our many similarities Americans and Canadians are different peoples with different worldviews and values when it comes to certain things.

PS....

I have to agree with Articsteve that I'm not sure that the demographic looking at the 200 would match with Eminem's fan base.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 03:28:46 pm by sailor723 »
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2011, 04:22:49 pm »
Reading the wiki it certainly looks to me that Sgt Giunta deserves the Medal.   Those of us who never see any US news or Superbowls or even US TV channels except PBS may be excused for not knowing who he is.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2011, 04:26:50 pm »
I don't think the Eminem commercial was only about the 200 at all, just what he happened to be driving and needed introduction right now. The commercial was about the Chrysler brand. The Chrysler brand was well served by that commercial in my estimation.

Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all. - John W. Gardner

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2011, 04:29:38 pm »
$10 Million for an ad showcasing a car that's not even Chrysler's best car..or second best..or anything.   ???

Imported from Detroit..oh the irony!  All of Chrycos best stuff is...Canadian.  300C, Minivan and Challenger are the cars that are saving Chrysler, not the POS Sebring 200.  

Mitlov...stop being so sensitive, man!  What were you expecting, some patriotic USA ballwashing from a Canadian forum??

« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 04:32:40 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2011, 04:42:17 pm »
I don't think the Eminem commercial was only about the 200 at all, just what he happened to be driving and needed introduction right now. The commercial was about the Chrysler brand. The Chrysler brand was well served by that commercial in my estimation.

:thumbup:

Exactly. Excellent job by the ad agency.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2011, 04:44:59 pm »

Except the stupid tagline "Imported from Detroit".

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2011, 04:58:59 pm »
Well, I guess I can see how the whole "comeback/rebirth" thing would resonate with Americans. From what I know they were hit a lot harder by the recession than many countries and Detroit was especially ravaged. Linking the Chrysler brand with the idea of "American" spirit fighting back from adversity was quite successful.

CatsEye68

« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2011, 05:25:43 pm »

Sounds a lot better to me than "Imported from Ulsan".

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2011, 06:00:22 pm »
Here's one person's ranking of all the auto related ads. Its convenient as it organizes all of them in one place to watch.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/07/opinion-ranking-the-automotive-super-bowl-ads-from-best-to-wors/

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2011, 06:11:45 pm »

Not for appliances, apparently :)

Just went thru this in November, and did a lot of research and shopping. Nobody makes a top-loader that is of much quality any more so for a few hundred dollars more it makes sense to get a decent front loader for the energy savings. Samsungs seem to have some troubles as do Whirlpools and GEs. I learned that Maytag is now owned by Whirlpool and has had lots of problems over the last decade, so their past reputation for quality is no more. Sad. Surprisingly Bosch also seems to be troublesome. Good reports abound on LGs and that's what I bought. Best decision I ever made. Great machines, super-quiet, stainless drum, very water-stingy, overall works very well. If you want the pedestals and designer colors you can spend $2K on a pair, but mine are white and are high enough not to need the pedestals and I paid just about $1K plus taxes for the ones I found on sale. Buy the LG, you won't be sorry. 

BTW, some Kenmores are made by LG, some not. Their feature sets may be different and recent disappointments at Sears led me elsewhere. YMMV.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2011, 07:14:25 pm »

Music to my ears, especially when imported from Jefferson North

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2011, 08:09:11 pm »

Music to my ears, especially when imported from Jefferson North

Ha!!  Apparently, they got outed by some of the Chrysler employees who are making the Two-Tiered wage.  LOL

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2011, 08:16:23 pm »
Regarding patriotism v. pride; one and the same when attached to a sporting event like the NFL.  Since they couldn't figure out away to fly figther jets around the interior of the stadium I wasn't surprised when they rolled out the Medical of Honour dude.

Will we ever see the day that Americans not mix a sporting event with military propaganda.  Americans have killed or maimed 35,000 of their own ppl, killed 100s of thousands of civilians in Iraq and Afg, displaced millions into misery, added trillions to the federal debt, and yet they still insist on celebrating war at a sporting event.  ::)

I've really started to understand that this...um...preference for non-American brands runs really, really deep.

That ad effectiveness site is really neat - thanks Mike.

Mitlov

« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2011, 08:17:27 pm »
I've really started to understand that this...um...preference for non-American brands runs really, really deep.

+10 for excellent use of irony.

Online Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12397
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2011, 08:36:40 pm »
If it were my job to push a POS product like the 200 I wouldn't focus on the car, either.  Sappy sentimentalism (whether one wants to call it patriotism or local pride or some other exercise of spin-ology) is tried and true.

rrocket makes a good point about the irony of all the "imported from Detroit" jingoistic chest-thumping, when so much of their product is imported from Canada.  I know advertising isn't about truth or facts, but puhleeeeeze, that's just a little too rich.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2011, 08:44:15 pm »

[/quote]

Well after them offering us consumers so much crap for so long (in an arrogant sort of way) is it any wonder?

Fortunately, they are trying to make a decent product, but it will take a long time to get those consumers back they gave the middle finger to for so long...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2011, 08:47:10 pm »
If it were my job to push a POS product like the 200 I wouldn't focus on the car, either.  Sappy sentimentalism (whether one wants to call it patriotism or local pride or some other exercise of spin-ology) is tried and true.

rrocket makes a good point about the irony of all the "imported from Detroit" jingoistic chest-thumping, when so much of their product is imported from Canada.  I know advertising isn't about truth or facts, but puhleeeeeze, that's just a little too rich.

Jaeger

It's not just SOME of their product comes from Canada, easily their BEST products come from Canada.  The 300C, minivans and Challenger are the cars that have kept any interest in Chrysler during the BK. 

And the REAL irony is these vehicles are the ones that exemplify what the US auto industry is all about:

-Minivan is American as can be...the Americans invented the segment.
-300C is a big, brash RWD sedan with a stomping V8, the type of vehicle that American automakers were known for, from the 50s on...
Challenger=muscle car.  Nuff said.

So a TV spot with ANY of these would have been better than the 200 to boast about Detroit being "back"...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 08:54:34 pm by rrocket »

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2011, 12:41:24 am »
By all accounts, the 200 is at very least a competitive entry into the mid size market. Certainly tuned toward the luxury end of the spectrum, it is the part of the market that Chrysler needs to make the biggest inroads into. The 200 certainly was the right vehicle for this commercial, and Chrysler showed it in a very good light.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2011, 09:40:22 am »
.....And the REAL irony is these vehicles are the ones that exemplify what the US auto industry is all about:

-Minivan is American as can be...the Americans invented the segment.
-300C is a big, brash RWD sedan with a stomping V8, the type of vehicle that American automakers were known for, from the 50s on...
Challenger=muscle car.  Nuff said.

So a TV spot with ANY of these would have been better than the 200 to boast about Detroit being "back"...

And by using any of these everyone would have been on here spewing something akin to "stupid Chrysler....ha...ha...don't they even know that those cars are Canadian made...ha...ha....can someone point me to the nearest Hyundai store."

Adding to Erik's comment that you put help where you need it most, the 300 and 200 do share similar faces...and much of the ad profiles the face of the car...and the 200 used is black hiding the "dreaded" C pillar profile.