Author Topic: Service intervals?  (Read 1116 times)

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Service intervals?
« on: February 04, 2011, 07:18:45 am »
Just wondering if short service intervals would affect your car buying process.

Our Mini calls for every year or 25,000 kms while the SRX has the GM oil monitor that has been running 17-20,000 kms (I tend to service when it gets down to around 10% ). I've become accustomed to not having to go in for service every 5 or 6,000 kms or 3 months and kind of like it. I think it would be a bit of a PITA to go back to the old "every 3 months routine". I think a old style shorter service interval would be an entry on the "con" side of a pro-con list when choosing a new car for me.

What do you think?
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Service intervals?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 08:21:38 am »
As I don't have to commute and, since leaving TO, we have 2 cars short service intervals would not bother me.   I change the GTI's oil at 8000, 1/2 the recommended interval on distance but it usually takes me longer on time to tot up the kms.   The Fit does very few miles and gets a yearly change at about 1/2 way through the service monitor's countdown. Apart from brake fluid changes which get done on the 2 years schedule for both cars.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline dash

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Acura RLX hybrid
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 09:28:40 am »
I suppose a long trip to the dealer may somewhat sway me, which not the case for me being in TO.
As much of an objective choice I try to make towards a purchase, emotions still can override some logistics.
"Why be quiet, and thought a fool, when you can speak up and remove all doubt"

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 10:01:24 am »
I think it would.  I like the longer maintenance interval and long life fluids in my old VW.  I don't have to service it as much as my newer Honda.  Maybe I'm old and lazy.  :)

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 11:06:58 am »
Probably wouldn't affect my decision much.  Of higher weighting for me is how much of a pain it is to get to the dealer. 
Back before cars had brains and told you when it wants service, i used to be pretty consistent in getting oil changed every 5-6,000 km's and did it locally

With the TL the average distance between services is about 10-11,000 km's, so for me that 2-3 times a year. Driving from Guelph to Kitchener is a bit of a pain, moreso lately because i've had 2 unscheduled trips in last 2 months.

For me, having a local dealer will be a fairly high priority in my next buying decision

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 12:18:42 pm »
 ::)"Driving from Guelph to Kitchener is a bit of a pain"..............why is Tpl implemeting his TOLL ROAD THEORY privately in yer neighbourhood.............. ;D :hide: :light: :drive2: :shuffle: :run:.....
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 12:20:22 pm by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 02:03:08 pm »
Was not an issue when I bought the Forester but then I don't take it to the dealer for routine service.  That gets done by a certified mechanic, with the paperwork to back it up in case of warranty issues.  And I go better than required, as I change the oil every 5,000 kms (easy to remember  ;) ).
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 04:11:33 pm »
I think 25,000 km between oil changes is a little to much
I more worried about the filter then the oil

Offline Gardiner Westbound

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-32
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 04:52:30 pm »
Murphy was right! Left to themselves things tend to go from bad to worse.

In my view the lowest cost, most effective, least effort preventive maintenance program is an oil and filter change every four months by an independent repair garage. I ask the mechanic to give the car a quick safety check while it is on the hoist. Every third visit, once a year, I request a thorough inspection. The key is to find and correct minor issues before they become costly problems.

The cost to replace a defective CV boot is about $100. If it goes unnoticed dealing with the inevitable ruined CV joint is several times more. Replacing worn brake pads before the rotors are scored is obviously much less costly than replacing the rotors too.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 07:21:13 pm by Gardiner Westbound »
"When you invent a better mousetrap the mice tend to get smarter." - Willie Gingrich

Offline RX7heaven

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-5
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '98 Forester,'09 Impreza
Re: Service intervals?synthetic
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 05:50:37 pm »
I change the synthetic oil in our two Subarus every 7000 km. The manual reads 6000 km but they say you can leave synthetic oil in longer. A mechanic wrote into Road&Tracks techtalk to say he takes the used synthetic oil out of customers cars with factory spec. change intervals and runs it in his car. I get better cold starts with superior flow viscosity and should have slightly improved fuel economy, hp., emissions, and wear protection. What are the best brands of synthetic oil? :drive2:
"If it's hard to do, it's not worth doing" - H. Simpson

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 06:13:02 pm »
Like the once a year change with 0w synthetic option and have had good luck with it on my own vehicles for years now. It would annoy me to go back.

That said most new engines seem to be engineered with larger oil capacities for long oil change intervals even with regular oil.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 06:24:35 pm »
8,000km on synthetic...

I have a theory that dealers WANT your cars to fail prematurely so you're forced to buy a new one. Preventative maintenance is small change, especially if you do your own oil changes, although I may go to the dealer next change, I don't lube stuff that needs to be lubed.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 07:00:19 pm »

I have a theory that dealers WANT your cars to fail prematurely so you're forced to buy a new one. Preventative maintenance is small change, especially if you do your own oil changes, although I may go to the dealer next change, I don't lube stuff that needs to be lubed.

I think that would be manufacturers who would like you to buy a new one every couple of years.  Dealers don't make much on new cars with the way you guys negotiate.   It's servicing where the money is, n'est-ce pas?  More service visits = the better their income statements.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 01:10:08 pm »
..I actually LOOK at the oil,rub it in my fingers.. bi weekly to monthly..if the KOLOR is NOT DEEP BURNT UMBER and smells, and has particles noticeable to the touch.(TRUE GRIT!!!)....then I" feel" IT (the OIL) and FILTER is still doing a good job................prolly twice a year,,,or sometimes every 8 months if Millie hasn't gone on a long Hot trip thru the mountains,loaded up................new oils are FABULOUS...annually may be the "NEW 3,000Mile change"... :think: :thumbup:................

after an oil change I still follow the above..."cos ya never KNOW WHEN YA BLOW A SEAL..... ;) :D ;D...Blubber   blubber  :'( :'( :'(

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 01:27:10 pm »
I think that would be manufacturers who would like you to buy a new one every couple of years.  Dealers don't make much on new cars with the way you guys negotiate.   It's servicing where the money is, n'est-ce pas?  More service visits = the better their income statements.

Generally they seem competitive on oil changes, but things can add up fast on the other services, the $40.00 air filters, $100.00 differential oil changes, $20.00 wipers, etc.

Sort of 'bring them in with the special, then make the money on drinks and dessert'.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2011, 01:46:30 pm »
We change the oil on the TSX every 8k (it doesn't have the "oil life" reader).

On the 330i, it has the dumb 24k interval or whatever, but we change it twice a year, regardless of what it says (that car never reaches 20 k per year).