Author Topic: Cornering lamps  (Read 3066 times)

vdk

Cornering lamps
« on: February 01, 2011, 07:18:58 pm »
Okay. What's up with those? I see them on new(er) German cars. When turning with the signal on, one front fog light would light up and stay on until the turn is completed.

My question is, do they help? I don't think they do.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
Re: Cornering lamps
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 07:21:43 pm »
Okay. What's up with those? I see them on new(er) German cars. When turning with the signal on, one front fog light would light up and stay on until the turn is completed.

My question is, do they help? I don't think they do.

Luxury car item. And yes, they light up the area you're turning to.  Though Lincolns and Caddies have had them since the beginning of time.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

CatsEye68

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 08:32:04 pm »
A '70's Buick I owned had them. So did a recent Olds Intrigue. In both cases they were separate light assemblies on the side of the front fender, not the foglights. I really liked them, especially on dark roads. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 08:36:14 pm »
A '70's Buick I owned had them. So did a recent Olds Intrigue. In both cases they were separate light assemblies on the side of the front fender, not the foglights. I really liked them, especially on dark roads. 

Indded.  The older cars were a separate light.  Yea..they work for sure.  In rural areas, they light up the ditches/culverts brilliantly...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 05:58:09 am »
I thought that on those old big Caddies that those lights were the land based equivalent of the nautical flag

D (delta)    "Keep clear of me; I am maneuvering with difficulty."

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline overtakeyouintheleftlane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2003 Pontiac Grand AM (sent for scrap), 2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon (sold) and a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2017 Hyundai Accent GL sedan
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 07:03:56 am »
I had a 2003 Buick Century as a rental once and the cornering lights come on when you have your headlights on and you signal. Very useful, it lights up the direction you're about to turn into.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 09:13:59 am »
One thing that drives me crazy are the Chryslers where the headlight turns off when the signal light is on. 
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 09:31:38 am »
One thing that drives me crazy are the Chryslers where the headlight turns off when the signal light is on. 

I'm sure that was never intended.  Just shorts within the electrical system, I'm sure.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 10:23:24 am »
I noticed that too.  It drives me nuts.  It's on every Chysler too, I don't get it.  So you have no light on the direction you're turning.  Brilliant!  ::)   

I remember when the Miata first came out in '89, there was a similar issue.  Both running lights (not the headlights) would blink off when the turn signals went off.  Mazda issued a tsb, I think it was just a relay they replaced.  I don't know why Chrysler can't do the same thing.
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 10:23:44 am »
Chrysler Wink n' Blink.  ;D

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 10:45:40 am »
I noticed that too.  It drives me nuts.  It's on every Chysler too, I don't get it.  So you have no light on the direction you're turning.  Brilliant!  ::)   

I remember when the Miata first came out in '89, there was a similar issue.  Both running lights (not the headlights) would blink off when the turn signals went off.  Mazda issued a tsb, I think it was just a relay they replaced.  I don't know why Chrysler can't do the same thing.

That's only when the DRLs are on, and it's so oncoming vehicles can see you're signaling since the signal light bulb is so close to the headlight/DRL bulb in the cluster. I think it very smart.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 10:54:38 am by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 10:49:05 am »
I had the corning lamp enabled on my Golf. Think some of the newer Golf/GTI VI 3 and 5 doors have this feature selectable in the MFI, but I didn't and had a friend enable it via the VAG-COM along with some other items.

For me, regardless of whether the signal light is on or off, with the steering wheel turned 90+ degrees (and in neutral or forward gears) the fog light on that side fades on and off. I think on the 3 and 5drs they are activated with the signal, but not 100%.

Living in the country, I find it very useful. Also, with high beams on the fog lights normally turn off automatically but even with high beams on when cornering the fog will turn on.

It won't light up street numbers on houses like an old Buick, Cadillac, or Lincoln would, but for the most part does the trick and I like the feature.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 10:56:14 am by sirAQUAMAN64 »

Offline erich

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-125
    • View Profile
  • Cars: current: 2023 Genesis G70 2.0t,2019 Infiniti QX50, previous:2017 Subaru Legacy, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2012 Genesis Coupe 2.0T, 2010 Subaru Forrester, 2004 Honda Civic, 2000 SAAB 9-3, 2000 Dodge Caravan, 2000 VW Golf, 1996 Suzuki Baleno, 1990 Subary Justy 1.0GL
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 10:52:05 am »
I have this on my '00 SAAB, the fog light comes on with the blinker (actually it is a separate bulb in the same housing).
I drive to work out of town before sunrise, I find it very useful. Rural roads on dark mornings are also a good place to use SAAB's "Night panel" feature.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 12:24:09 pm »

That's only when the DRLs are on, and it's so oncoming vehicles can see you're signaling since the signal light bulb is so close to the headlight/DRL bulb in the cluster. I think it very smart.

I know it's a 'desing feature', and I think it's ridiculous. 

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 12:43:17 pm »
I have this on my '00 SAAB, the fog light comes on with the blinker (actually it is a separate bulb in the same housing).
I drive to work out of town before sunrise, I find it very useful. Rural roads on dark mornings are also a good place to use SAAB's "Night panel" feature.

My Pontiac G8 has a night panel feature. I haven't seen one for years. Aussies must do a lot of dark rural driving.

The LR3 doesn't have cornering lamps per se but it does swivel the headlights ala Tucker to point in direction of the turn.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 01:49:31 pm »
Ah, cornering lights.  One of the neatest little extra feature that my friend's Olds Alero had.  Since then, I bemoan the lack of them on other cars.  I get the impression reading the other posts on this thread that quite a few GM cars had them.  Kudos to GM for this one.

One of my bigger pet peeves when it comes to cars is lighting.  As in not enough of it where it counts.  I think all cars should have cornering lights.  It's a small thing and solves a lot of problems when turning onto a badly marked / lit road.  Ditches, potholes or other obstacles are suddenly visible, allowing the driver time to react.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2011, 10:38:34 pm »
Its one of those wonderful things that's both good and (virtually) free.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2011, 10:42:27 pm »

My Pontiac G8 has a night panel feature. I haven't seen one for years. Aussies must do a lot of dark rural driving.

The LR3 doesn't have cornering lamps per se but it does swivel the headlights ala Tucker to point in direction of the turn.

What do you mean by "night panel"?

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2011, 01:33:11 am »

In addition to the traditional rheostat I can switch off all interior lights except for the speedo which is lit very dim. Perfect for dark rural driving.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 01:43:11 am »

In addition to the traditional rheostat I can switch off all interior lights except for the speedo which is lit very dim. Perfect for dark rural driving.

Oh I see.  My Lexus has auto dimming of the gauges.  The dash varies in brightness automatically based on exterior light brightness.