Author Topic: Nooooooooo! GM wins, again.  (Read 5098 times)

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
Re: Nooooooooo! GM wins, again.
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2011, 01:54:05 pm »
That was horrible.  The execs at Hyundai must be laughing their arses off...all the way to the bank.  The money bank.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2011, 06:03:49 pm »
An of course you guys all realize this ad was released before the new Elantra was available, right? Like it was likely shot in the fall of 2010? Why not blast GM for not comparing it to the redesigned Honda Civic?
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2011, 06:10:22 pm »
An of course you guys all realize this ad was released before the new Elantra was available, right? Like it was likely shot in the fall of 2010? Why not blast GM for not comparing it to the redesigned Honda Civic?

Riiiiight.   ::) And even if shot in fall of 2010, GM like ALL of us here, knew a new Elantra was on the way.  It was no secret.

Nice try though.... ::)

**EDIT** The 2011 Elantra was unveiled at the Seoul show April 29, 2010.  Then again in July with official pics on what the US car exterior/interior options would look like.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 06:19:30 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

vdk

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2011, 06:38:15 pm »
I bet 50 bucks this is what Hyundai will do next, given the level of attention this ad has gotten.

They will make a similar ad featuring the new Elantra vs. the Cruze. I'm thinking 30 seconds, so it can air on TV. ;)

Why would they air an ad in which they lose out to the Cruze? ;)

Take the high road ... take the high road.. take the high road.....

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2011, 07:17:49 pm »

The fact you can't buy a car is only silly in the case where the Volt won NACOTY.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2011, 07:21:41 pm »
They should've done a Cruze vs. Jetta dare to compare thing too, and Cruze vs. Mazda 3.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12397
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2011, 07:51:45 pm »
I would guess that the ad probably works though for those not in the know that a new Elantra is peeking around the corner, and those not in the know are probably the majority.

It's not peeking around the corner - the new Elantra is here on dealer lots right now.  I know 'cause I test drove one today.  :)

This is easily one of the more ubelievably lame moves I have seen from GM.  And they have quite a history of unbelievably lame moves.  Dare to compare... indeed....

Damned funny though.  :rofl:

Jaeger
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 07:54:02 pm by Jaeger »
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2011, 08:05:42 pm »
To be fair though....in all comparison ads I've ever seen the advertiser picks to competitor they can beat.

On the other hand maybe it says something about the Cruze that GM had to choose a what? six year old? design  ::)
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2011, 09:00:36 pm »

It's not peeking around the corner - the new Elantra is here on dealer lots right now.  I know 'cause I test drove one today.  :)

How was it? Dare to post impressions in the Elantra thread?

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2011, 11:41:36 pm »

Riiiiight.   ::) And even if shot in fall of 2010, GM like ALL of us here, knew a new Elantra was on the way.  It was no secret.

Nice try though.... ::)

**EDIT** The 2011 Elantra was unveiled at the Seoul show April 29, 2010.  Then again in July with official pics on what the US car exterior/interior options would look like.

And they were making their ads for the people here?

We all know a new Civic is coming too. Does that mean a comparison with the Civic is off limits too, since WE all know a new one is coming?

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2011, 11:50:57 pm »
Prepare for a furiously ironic response involving the 2012 2011 Elantra face-smashing the Cruze.

Now, regardless of the logic (or lack thereof) contained in the ad, did anyone else find the production values to be pretty terrible? Is this purely designed for YouTube? Surely they couldn't put this drivel on primetime TV.

Anyways, I must now proceed to go and film a short clip on how my TSX is superior to a 1967 Opel Kadett.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 11:53:37 pm by mmret »
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Fuel Pump

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2011, 05:43:38 am »
hi everyone.. your given sites are so interesting, i have a great interest in cars, racing, thats y i liked those site.... thanks

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2011, 10:02:39 am »
Hi Fuel PUMP us up about yer local cars.....................pics would be nice. :hello:   can they beat the CRUZE?...........
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Leviathan

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2011, 02:21:18 pm »

A voice of reason. If you look at the related youtube vids you can see that GM compared against the "old" Focus too. Kind of hard for GM to compare against cars that aren't available at video the time of the video shoot so they used the existing model and made their car look that much better - it is advertising after all  :)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2011, 02:35:16 pm »

A voice of reason. If you look at the related youtube vids you can see that GM compared against the "old" Focus too. Kind of hard for GM to compare against cars that aren't available at video the time of the video shoot so they used the existing model and made their car look that much better - it is advertising after all  :)

They should have used the Cobalt then  :P  I won't believe for a second GM didn't know what Koreans would have on the market at the time of Cruze hitting the dealerships. 2012 Focus would be a stretch but they should definitely used the same MY in their comparos and use corresponding trim lines, instead of using an abstract sum of features and numbers of different trims and saying how enlightened GM is today as opposed to Hyundai 5 years ago. It just made good hardworking designers and engineers at GM look silly.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

CatsEye68

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2011, 04:54:30 pm »
They should have used the Cobalt then  :P  I won't believe for a second GM didn't know what Koreans would have on the market at the time of Cruze hitting the dealerships.

You just shot yourself, or your argument, in the foot. At the time it hit dealerships the comparison is completely valid. Given lead times, a comparo can only be made with what is available at introduction day.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2011, 05:02:02 pm »
They should have used the Cobalt then  :P  I won't believe for a second GM didn't know what Koreans would have on the market at the time of Cruze hitting the dealerships.

You just shot yourself, or your argument, in the foot. At the time it hit dealerships the comparison is completely valid. Given lead times, a comparo can only be made with what is available at introduction day.

Or you could just say that GM wasn't confident enough to compare to the latest and greatest and only thought their product merited comparison against an outgoing model.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2011, 05:05:43 pm »

Huh? Are you saying GM had no clue the Cruze would be competing with the new Elantra at the time they shot this joke?

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12397
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2011, 05:18:06 pm »

Huh? Are you saying GM had no clue the Cruze would be competing with the new Elantra at the time they shot this joke?

I don't know which is funnier - the lame GM propaganda or the slappie defense of the indefensible.  :rofl:

Jaeger

Offline erich

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-125
    • View Profile
  • Cars: current: 2023 Genesis G70 2.0t,2019 Infiniti QX50, previous:2017 Subaru Legacy, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2012 Genesis Coupe 2.0T, 2010 Subaru Forrester, 2004 Honda Civic, 2000 SAAB 9-3, 2000 Dodge Caravan, 2000 VW Golf, 1996 Suzuki Baleno, 1990 Subary Justy 1.0GL
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2011, 05:57:22 pm »
Actually the Cruze itself has been around since 2008, only not in the US and Canada (I saw a Cruze in Mexico one year ago), so the comparison to the outgoing Elantra is - ironically - justified.