Author Topic: Nooooooooo! GM wins, again.  (Read 5103 times)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
Re: Nooooooooo! GM wins, again.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 09:57:44 pm »
So GM thinks that their car is only as good as the last generation Hyundai.  Makes sense to me.. :rofl2:

Anyone read the piece in Autoextremist today about the same old GM?

http://www.autoextremist.com/
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 10:01:37 pm »
So GM thinks that their car is only as good as the last generation Hyundai.  Makes sense to me.. :rofl2:

As long as it is Hyundai's BASE model. I think heads will roll..

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 10:07:37 pm »

As long as it is Hyundai's BASE model. I think heads will roll..

GM: Setting the bar lower.     :rofl:

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 10:11:10 pm »
From the comments:

"In next week's episode, we compare the Chevy Volt to a Horse. Find out which really produces more greenhouse gas. Plus, we'll show why the 2011 Chevy Malibu is the clear choice over that 1968 Super Beatle that you obviously cross shop it with.

Jeepers, you'd think Chevy would want to compare up to something rather than down. Of course not getting punched is the face is better than getting punched in the face."

Whoops.

Some ad agency is in trouble.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 10:18:15 pm »
Hmm...funny...I didn't you guys comment on the good things that Lutz did at GM.  Pile-on!

That said, I agree with DeLorenzo - Dan Ackerson is the wrong guy at the wrong time.  We'd better all get our CTS-Vs while the gettin's good.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 10:20:38 pm »
Hmm...funny...I didn't you guys comment on the good things that Lutz did at GM.  Pile-on!

That said, I agree with DeLorenzo - Dan Ackerson is the wrong guy at the wrong time.  We'd better all get our CTS-Vs while the gettin's good.

Hmmmm...Lutz was one of the guys who was on-board BEFORE the BK, eh??  I don't see how if you're part of upper management and you declare BK how you can be considered a success.  But that's just me, I guess.  He was going senile anyways.  Nearly everything he boasted about the Volt was false.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 10:25:24 pm by rrocket »

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 10:55:14 pm »
These types of ads really irk me, no matter who is putting them out.  I would guess that the ad probably works though for those not in the know that a new Elantra is peeking around the corner, and those not in the know are probably the majority.

The best line in the ad "proven reliability with over 4 million test miles".  Reeeeeeealllly.

The ad is almost demeaning to an otherwise good car.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 12:15:52 am »
What really is ironic there are people shopping for a new car who had a GM before, it likely and statistically had an average or below reliability so they decide not to repair it anymore. They listen to one of those ads that educates them that their favourite make is now completely different, new and improved and above all the best to be had today. They just go and get another one, not even bothered to do a basic homework, not even a price comparison. While the above mentioned is an extreme case, GM apparently thinks very little of today's consumers who it appears they think can be so easily manipulated.
In all likeliness tomorrow somebody in their head office will wake up and take the ad down. The replacement will feature the Cruze and the latest Elantra. What we will not see is an honest comparison of either the base or top of the line models, apples to apples. But if they cannot do it for obvious reasons why make an ass out of themselves instead of just spending money on commercials and favourable media reviews?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 12:20:51 am »
What really is ironic there are people shopping for a new car who had a GM before, it likely and statistically had an average or below reliability so they decide not to repair it anymore. They listen to one of those ads that educates them that their favourite make is now completely different, new and improved and above all the best to be had today. They just go and get another one, not even bothered to do a basic homework, not even a price comparison. While the above mentioned is an extreme case, GM apparently thinks very little of today's consumers who it appears they think can be so easily manipulated.
In all likeliness tomorrow somebody in their head office will wake up and take the ad down. The replacement will feature the Cruze and the latest Elantra. What we will not see is an honest comparison of either the base or top of the line models, apples to apples. But if they cannot do it for obvious reasons why make an ass out of themselves instead of just spending money on commercials and favourable media reviews?

I guess this begs the question..."same old GM"?

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 01:05:56 am »
GM just made a fool out of themselves with this ad.
On the other hand, what if the vast majority of the public is THAT uninformed and ignorant to buy into such ads and GM only exploits the situation? I wouldn't discard this hypothesis, as unbelievable as it seems.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 01:10:57 am by carcrazy »

kicker

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 01:15:59 am »
This is so ballsy !  How many women even know a next gen Elantra is virtually here .
G.M. has to grap what they can fast before it gets here .

vdk

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 01:31:29 am »
I bet 50 bucks this is what Hyundai will do next, given the level of attention this ad has gotten.

They will make a similar ad featuring the new Elantra vs. the Cruze. I'm thinking 30 seconds, so it can air on TV. ;)

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 09:36:27 am »

Hmmmm...Lutz was one of the guys who was on-board BEFORE the BK, eh??  I don't see how if you're part of upper management and you declare BK how you can be considered a success.  But that's just me, I guess.  He was going senile anyways.  Nearly everything he boasted about the Volt was false.

Is that all it took is one Olds to seed such deep feelings rrocket?  I continue to be amazed.

Big companies are like aircraft carriers...there is so much inertia that when the order to stop is given, it takes just a little bit to get it stopped.

I'd have to go back and read what he boasted about the Volt.  So far, the accolades and descriptors sound pretty good.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 10:52:22 am »
Maybe I'll use a GM method here, but the curb weight for the 2011 Elantra starts at 2661lb -MT and 2701 -AT
(http://www.hyundaiebrochures.com/2011_Hyundai_eBrochures/2011_Hyundai_Elantra_eBrochure.pdf)

The only info in official PDF form I could find on the Cruze it is 3102, or 401lb(!) more, which is like always having two well sized passengers with you  :(
http://www.hibbardchevrolet.com/content/new_vehicles/specs_chevrolet_2011_Cruze.pdf

Can anyone find a GM made brochure where they actually mention curb weight for every model?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 11:18:22 am »
..Geez snake oil salesmen have more ethics.............................this is gonna BITE GM's ad guys inna arse..........................by the way the Hyundai is on the Right in the Pic...Bigger,slicker and it sez BITE ME!!!! ;D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 11:34:13 am »
This would be a lot funnier if there wasn't so much public money at stake.  ::)
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

CatsEye68

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 12:08:27 pm »
I bet 50 bucks this is what Hyundai will do next, given the level of attention this ad has gotten.

They will make a similar ad featuring the new Elantra vs. the Cruze. I'm thinking 30 seconds, so it can air on TV. ;)

Why would they air an ad in which they lose out to the Cruze? ;)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 12:44:05 pm »

Why would they air an ad in which they lose out to the Cruze? ;)

In which way, the "road hugging heft" maybe?  ;D

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2011, 12:54:01 pm »
..they could always co-opt.....HUGH HEFTNER!...as Spokescreep....i'd watch  the babes crawl all ov'r the "simulated LATHER!!!!"..... :rofl2:.........
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 12:57:07 pm by safristi »