Author Topic: Nooooooooo! GM wins, again.  (Read 5093 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
Re: Nooooooooo! GM wins, again.
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2011, 05:59:50 pm »
Actually the Cruze itself has been around since 2008, only not in the US and Canada (I saw a Cruze in Mexico one year ago), so the comparison to the outgoing Elantra is - ironically - justified.

Yep, especially if you think that an outgoing car is the best your car can compare to...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12397
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2011, 06:34:57 pm »
Actually the Cruze itself has been around since 2008, only not in the US and Canada (I saw a Cruze in Mexico one year ago), so the comparison to the outgoing Elantra is - ironically - justified.

Yep, especially if you think that an outgoing car is the best your car can compare to...

Yeah - they didn't exactly pick any of the class titans for their comparison.  "Our brand new Cruze is better than an ancient Elantra - dare to compare!"  Oy.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2011, 06:47:33 pm »

In some countries Bimmers are taxis. The girl in that commercial wasn't mexican nor was she hired to sell the car for Peso. If GM (or rather their marketing) prefer to remain clueless about their direct current and future competition they shouldn't work in that field. I can't imagine there wasn't one person there to suggest the ad is taken down once it became clear it did more harm than good.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2011, 01:23:08 am »

I know you are really not this dense, but you sure try hard to prove me wrong.

The car was not available at the time the ad was made. When it was produced, this was the best Hyundai had to offer. Thats what they compared it to.

Of course, if they would have asked Hyundai nicely last fall, I am SURE they would have sent over a pre-production Elantra for the folks at GM to put in their ad. Just like I am sure that Honda will send over a 2012 Civic for GM to put in their ads too.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12397
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2011, 07:30:38 am »
If GM (or rather their marketing) prefer to remain clueless about their direct current and future competition they shouldn't work in that field. I can't imagine there wasn't one person there to suggest the ad is taken down once it became clear it did more harm than good.

Agreed.

Jaeger

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2011, 08:36:32 am »
Now that I think about it.....

Hey, it's advertising why would you expect it to be truthful or accurate?

What you should expect is for them to use every possible slant or spin to show their product in the best possible light
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2011, 01:30:45 pm »
Now that I think about it.....

Hey, it's advertising why would you expect it to be truthful or accurate?

What you should expect is for them to use every possible slant or spin to show their product in the best possible light

Well, if you are confident that your product or service is a better value prop, then there's no fear in doing a head to head comparison.

As Erik points out, the ad was truthful and accurate given the new Elantra was not available.

We argue around here all the time about most people not being enthusiasts.  I suggest the only people that were "harmed" were the same people that hammer the General for everything anyway.