Author Topic: Cougars in Ontario, why the coverup?  (Read 14665 times)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12397
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: Cougars in Ontario, why the coverup?
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2011, 07:17:40 pm »
Nah - we used knives to do it nice and clean.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2011, 07:42:48 pm »
This article states that the MNR has confirmed the existence of cougars in Ontario.
http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/article/826635--confirmed-big-cats-prowl-in-ontario

Yes, they confirmed they are here last year, then today on the news said there has been no confirmation of cougars in the area??   

The other rumour around here is that MNR re-introduced fishers into the area years ago to reduce the porcupine population, then the fishers ran amuck and MNR re-introduced cougars to take care of the fisher problem.
Mr Pickypants

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2011, 07:44:41 pm »
This article states that the MNR has confirmed the existence of cougars in Ontario.
http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/article/826635--confirmed-big-cats-prowl-in-ontario

Yes, they confirmed they are here last year, then today on the news said there has been no confirmation of cougars in the area??   

The other rumour around here is that MNR re-introduced fishers into the area years ago to reduce the porcupine population, then the fishers ran amuck and MNR re-introduced cougars to take care of the fisher problem.

Hmmm....I see mink around here..but never a fisher.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2011, 08:47:01 pm »

They're nocturnal and you would have to travel to Ottawa/Gatineau to see one. However, did see one in Gatineau park in the daytime while cycling down Blacks hill. It was about a meter long from nose to tip of the tail. Weird gait to it , like a weasel...a big weasel.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2011, 08:56:25 pm »
I saw a wolverine in Wisconsin, which is supposed to be ridiculously rare...

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2011, 09:38:11 pm »

They're nocturnal and you would have to travel to Ottawa/Gatineau to see one. However, did see one in Gatineau park in the daytime while cycling down Blacks hill. It was about a meter long from nose to tip of the tail. Weird gait to it , like a weasel...a big weasel.
Railton

I've seen a dead fisher on a suburban street in Kingston.  They are all over the place here.  Apparently some semi-rural neighbourhoods now have a shortage of outdoor cats.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2011, 09:47:09 pm »
great sig material right there....

I've always wanted to see a cougar in the wilderness (safe encounter of course) as they are beautiful creatures. I've found tracks before but that is as close as I've been.

hahaha

:rofl2: :rofl2:

Good one Quad ;D

For once I was actually being serious but after re-reading it, it does sound pretty funny. I've found tracks in Grand Canyon and another small canyon in Utah. Kept looking up for one but no luck (which is good sometimes).

Last time n Red Rock Canyon (Nevada) we did see a ring tale cat. That was pretty cool.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2011, 09:49:09 pm »
^^Did you say "Here kitty, kitty, kitty" and pet it??   :rofl2:

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2011, 10:40:06 pm »
I've also hunted coyotes.  Since hunting isn't as popular as it once was, the coyote population out my way has exploded.  And they have decimated the re-introduced wild turkey population.  The ring necked pheasants are almost gone too, and now the deer hunters are starting to complain.  And even worse, they've started to eat people's family pets right out of their backyards.  Many small dogs and cats have been taken.  On a few occasions I've been coyote hunting just outside of my usual area, I swear I have seen wolf tracks.  Absolutely huge and deep compared to coyote tracks.  But I never bothered to report the tracks since the MNR would call me crazy....
A few friends and family members have seen what could only be wolves as they were too large to be coyotes.  The large coyote population in Southern Ontario seems to have reduced the number of rabbits/hares.

Two summers ago my father and I saw a marten (smaller than a fisher?) swimming from a small island to shore on Crowe Lake.  At first we thought, "What a strange looking muskrat."  However it was more slender than a muskrat and reddish brown.  When it scampered up on shore and disappeared into the underbrush, it was most obvious that it was not a muskrat. ;D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 10:43:27 pm by mrthompson »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2011, 10:44:44 pm »
^^ Yea, the middle of their body sorta arcs when they move...

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2011, 10:53:26 pm »
A few friends and family members have seen what could only be wolves as they were too large to be coyotes.  The large coyote population in Southern Ontario seems to have reduced the number of rabbits/hares.

From what I understand, south of Algonquin Park most "wolves" are hybrid coywolves.  Part coyote part wolf, size depends on the mix.  Smart like wolves and brazen like coyotes doesn't mix well.  Around here they have snatched puppies out of backyards while the owners were playing with them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coywolf

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2011, 09:07:39 am »

From what I understand, south of Algonquin Park most "wolves" are hybrid coywolves.  Part coyote part wolf, size depends on the mix.  Smart like wolves and brazen like coyotes doesn't mix well.  Around here they have snatched puppies out of backyards while the owners were playing with them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coywolf

Coyotes are also mixing with dogs which isn't good either as they are less nervous/scared around humans

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2011, 09:09:34 am »
I just noticed these signs all over the place in Centennial Park in Etobicoke/Mississauga.  This in the middle of two cities with over 1 000 000 million people in them.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2011, 12:33:31 pm »
..I'm buyin' a fleet of Land-Rovers to start SAFARIS...to the GREAT BUNDU that is Now ONTARIO.................please sign the release FORM........................"I hereby am a wee nervous phussay and release Saf from all egg sucking sounds and pant messings I may endure"........... :shuffle:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2011, 03:03:51 pm »
Wikipedia notes that cougars are reported to be in the eastern NA, with Quebec confirming:

"Currently, it ranges across most western American states, the Canadian provinces of Alberta and British Columbia, and the Canadian Yukon Territory. There have been widely debated reports of possible recolonization of eastern North America.[44] DNA evidence has suggested its presence in eastern North America,[45] while a consolidated map of cougar sightings shows numerous reports, from the mid-western Great Plains through to Eastern Canada.[46] The Quebec wildlife services (known locally as MRNF) also considers Cougar to be present in the province as a threatened species after multiple DNA tests confirmed cougar hair in Lynx mating sites."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cougar  See the article for the references.

No idea why the Ontario ministry would be in denial.

Working in the woods, I have had a couple of close encounters with cougar's that I am aware of, and probably more that I was not.  Our family has a cougar skin rug, complete with head (and teeth   :o ).  They are just a fact of life here in BC.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2011, 06:52:15 am »
I just noticed these signs all over the place in Centennial Park in Etobicoke/Mississauga.  This in the middle of two cities with over 1 000 000 million people in them.

I live in the Beaches area and we also have the odd fox roaming around. Riding my bike home one night I saw one trying to cross the road with what looked like somebody's cat in its mouth.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2011, 08:40:25 am »

I live in the Beaches area and we also have the odd fox roaming around. Riding my bike home one night I saw one trying to cross the road with what looked like somebody's cat in its mouth.

Yeah, my old town of Markham had Foxes everywhere.  I used to see them crossing the 407 east of Hwy 48 at night.  There were even sightings in this small wooded area I had to walk through to get to elementary school as a kid.  The knee jerk reaction to this was......cut down the entire forest.....

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2011, 09:17:45 am »
,,Scarier than being savaged by a Fox,Coyote....was a ride back from a ski trip in a buddy's Dads Merc COUGAR.......damn thing was swaying all over the snow covered road on that windy ride...ALL SPHINCTERS were on RED ALERT........

we took my MGB next ski trip and relaxed.............. ;D............saw a nice family of foxes in London on an October golf day....frolicking on the bank of the Thames river on the 15th Hole........cute animals,smart animals,foxy animals....Coyotes not so much but inquisitive...yeah to their feral cat culling... :thumbup:............

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2011, 01:01:23 pm »

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with Belinda Stronach.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2011, 04:23:12 pm »
 ::) :rofl:  MAGNA CUM LAUDE................... :D