Author Topic: Cougars in Ontario, why the coverup?  (Read 14657 times)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Cougars in Ontario, why the coverup?
« on: January 26, 2011, 03:02:17 pm »
I just heard again in CBC about a cougar sighting, this time along the Queensway in Ottawa.  CBC again stated there is no evidence of cougars in Eastern Ontario according the the Ministry of Natural Resources.   
Last year cougar crap, DNA and tracks were found by the MNR, then apparently forgotten about. 

So, why does the media (CBC) and quite often the MNR quash every sighting and piece of evidence of cougars in the area? 

Local rumour is that a couple of years ago a farmer near here called the MNR about a cougar prowling around his property, they replied that there were no cougars in the area so they wouldn't investigate.  He then visited the MNR office and again asked about cougars in the area, they assured him there weren't any.  Then he asked what they thought about the very large dead cat he shot earlier that day (which was now in the back of his truck) might be.  They took the dead cat's body and then still insisted there were no cats in the area.

So what's with the conspiracy?

Mr Pickypants

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
Re: Cougars in Ontario, why the coverup?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 03:11:18 pm »
Sorry can't resist

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 03:13:20 pm »
But seriously...I do not know why they would down play it.  My Aunt lives in Creston BC at the base of a mountain and they quite often have cougar sightings and encounters there.  Just recently a Bloodhound got in a fight with one....and won (must have been an old or sick Cougar).

Running into a healthy Cougar in the wilds of Canada is probably the most dangerous situation you could be in with wildlife.  Worse then a Grizzly, Wolf or Coyote

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 03:54:14 pm »
Are cougars the new UFOs?

The only reason I can think of is 'fear' or to not have fear. Are people more scared of cougars than bears? But it doesn't make any sense as people should be aware of what is out there and what to do.

I've always wanted to see a cougar in the wilderness (safe encounter of course) as they are beautiful creatures. I've found tracks before but that is as close as I've been.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 04:06:43 pm »
great sig material right there....

I've always wanted to see a cougar in the wilderness (safe encounter of course) as they are beautiful creatures. I've found tracks before but that is as close as I've been.

hahaha

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 04:14:58 pm »
My father noticed a sign at the landfill warning of cougars near Campbellford, ON.  He asked the weigh scales attendant about it, and apparently a cougar has been sighted several times at the back area of the landfill.

This article states that the MNR has confirmed the existence of cougars in Ontario.
http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/article/826635--confirmed-big-cats-prowl-in-ontario

vdk

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 04:16:26 pm »
great sig material right there....

hahaha

:rofl2: :rofl2:

Good one Quad ;D

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford F150 XLT
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 04:35:31 pm »
Sorry can't resist

You stole Saf's thunder

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 05:14:23 pm »
We have a nesting pair of bald eagles just outside of Windsor.  For the longest time, the MNR was in denial about that too.....

The MNR at times seem like a bunch of clueless idiots.  I'm what some people term a "varmint hunter".  I used to shoot crows, as there was a horrible problem near Essex.  People would wake up with 2" of crow crap on their cars, houses, porch etc.  So we'd shoot the crows and receive a bounty for them.  In this one area I used to shoot, there were enormous marmots. Some people call them ground hogs.  One time when I was having my credentials checked by the MNR officer, I mentioned the huge marmots in the area.  He laughed and told me there were no marmots in this area and what I saw was surely a muskrat.  I assured him it it was no muskrat, as these were enormous. He basically told me I was nuts and I had no idea what I was talking about.  So I told him to come over the next day and I'd show him.  He did..and I showed him.  He never did offer an apology though....

I've also hunted coyotes.  Since hunting isn't as popular as it once was, the coyote population out my way has exploded.  And they have decimated the re-introduced wild turkey population.  The ring necked pheasants are almost gone too, and now the deer hunters are starting to complain.  And even worse, they've started to eat people's family pets right out of their backyards.  Many small dogs and cats have been taken.  On a few occasions I've been coyote hunting just outside of my usual area, I swear I have seen wolf tracks.  Absolutely huge and deep compared to coyote tracks.  But I never bothered to report the tracks since the MNR would call me crazy....
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 05:26:32 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12397
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 05:39:32 pm »
A buddy of mine from the States posted these pics on another forum.  Normally "my dog chased a cat up a tree" isn't much of a story, but in this case....

On a hunting note - went on my first pheasant hunt last fall - had a blast.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 05:50:10 pm »
It sounds like the cougar population stretches right across the country.  They have been spotted where I grew up, in Prince Albert, SK.  My mother spotted one on the way to work one morning just outside of the city, and confirmed with a conservation officer that they are in the area. 

If you look on wikipedia, it shows their range as in the western part of the country only. 
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 05:53:33 pm »

On a hunting note - went on my first pheasant hunt last fall - had a blast.

Jaeger

Using dogs to hunt cats is the easy way. Not terribly sporting walking up to a tree and shooting something out of it.

Where did you hunt for pheasant?  Would love to hear details.  There's a huge hunt here on Pelee Island every year...

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 06:15:51 pm »

I've seen Cougars in Ontario.  They seem pretty rare.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 06:16:36 pm »

I've seen Cougars in Ontario.  They seem pretty rare.

Did I ever tell the headlight disaster story about the Cougar headlights?

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 06:18:18 pm »
rrocket - he wasn't hunting - he was hiking - didn't have anything more on him than a pocket knife. 

My hunt was in NY State - about an hour south of Rochester.  A buddy of mine has a hunting camp down there - nice cabin and nearly a hundred acres of woodlands.  I've been deer hunting with the guys there a couple times - just observing and helping dress out the deer (I have little experience with guns, plenty with knives).  But they were determined I was going to shoot something this time, so they organized a pheasant / chukar hunt on a nearby property.  And yes, we hunted with dogs - wouldn't have had a thing to shoot at, otherwise.  The ground cover was so thick you could have been 3 feet from a bird and not seen it.

Jaeger

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2011, 06:21:55 pm »
rrocket - he wasn't hunting - he was hiking - didn't have anything more on him than a pocket knife. 

My hunt was in NY State - about an hour south of Rochester.  A buddy of mine has a hunting camp down there - nice cabin and nearly a hundred acres of woodlands.  I've been deer hunting with the guys there a couple times - just observing and helping dress out the deer (I have little experience with guns, plenty with knives).  But they were determined I was going to shoot something this time, so they organized a pheasant / chukar hunt on a nearby property.  And yes, we hunted with dogs - wouldn't have had a thing to shoot at, otherwise.  The ground cover was so thick you could have been 3 feet from a bird and not seen it.

Jaeger

Oh, ok.  That dog bore somewhat a resemblance to a Blue Tick Coon Hound...a popular hound for treeing cougars.

And hunting game birds with dog is far different than treeing a cougar.  The birds still fly (erratically and fast in the case of chukar!) and have a chance of escape, so they have a sporting chance.  Upland bird hunting is great fan..and can be pretty exhausting depending on the terrain. 

Did you get to eat your pheasant?  Did the just breast them out when they dressed them?

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2011, 06:37:57 pm »
Oh, ok.  That dog bore somewhat a resemblance to a Blue Tick Coon Hound...a popular hound for treeing cougars.

And hunting game birds with dog is far different than treeing a cougar.  The birds still fly (erratically and fast in the case of chukar!) and have a chance of escape, so they have a sporting chance.  Upland bird hunting is great fan..and can be pretty exhausting depending on the terrain. 

Did you get to eat your pheasant?  Did the just breast them out when they dressed them?

Erratic and fast - you got that right.  Right on the exhausting part, too.  The ground was reasonably flat, but undulating and broken and the dense bush made it feel like wading through waist deep water at times.

We breasted out the birds on site then took them back to camp for a really delicious meal of pheasant / chukar parmigiana.  :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2011, 06:50:27 pm »
Did they do the speedy field breasting?  Where they step on the wings, grab the legs and pull?  Voila..instant breasting!

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2011, 06:57:56 pm »

Jaeger

Yeah, in Creston BC, whenever a Cougar gets too close to the city (or takes out livestock/pet/person) they 'release the hounds' who then go tree it.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2011, 07:06:20 pm »