Author Topic: C-c-c-cold Freezes Peoples' Cognitive Functions?  (Read 2540 times)

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
C-c-c-cold Freezes Peoples' Cognitive Functions?
« on: January 24, 2011, 08:55:13 am »
C-c-c-c-c-old this morning.  While on the subject, I have a simple observation.  Anybody notice that when it gets really cold out peoples' brains freeze when driving?  Maybe it's the survivor instinct...the animal in us causing people to buckle down and look after their own needs first.  I noticed a lot of stop sign and redlight running this morning...people staring ahead without looking a the cross traffic.  I see this everytime the weather turns really cold. 

Not criticizing.  Just observing.  I have to take extra care when it's cold, and not just care of my car to make sure it warms up gently.

Surely this isn't just an Ottawa thing?   ;)

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
Re: C-c-c-cold Freezes Peoples' Cognitive Functions?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 09:01:26 am »
C-c-c-c-c-old this morning.  While on the subject, I have a simple observation.  Anybody notice that when it gets really cold out peoples' brains freeze when driving?  Maybe it's the survivor instinct...the animal in us causing people to buckle down and look after their own needs first.  I noticed a lot of stop sign and redlight running this morning...people staring ahead without looking a the cross traffic.  I see this everytime the weather turns really cold. 

Not criticizing.  Just observing.  I have to take extra care when it's cold, and not just care of my car to make sure it warms up gently.

Nope, I imagine the same thing in Korea as well.
This message snipped from a co-workers e-mail to me this AM;
"We could not land at the Incheon Airport due to snow and planes being backed up so we had to fly to Cheju (small island off the southern tip of Korea) due to our fuel situation.  Then we thought we would have to stay overnight at Cheju while another Air Canada crew was flown in due to the current crew's service hours reaching the maximum.  However, we were able to refuel and fly back to Incheon Sunday night so I got in the hotel around 11:15pm.
Fly half-way around the world and still can't escape the cold.

Ah, the joys of flying.
"
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 09:03:27 am »

Yeah, I notice that too.  I think you are on to something with why it happens.  I have to consciously make sure I am driving properly when it is minus 20 or more and the car isn't warmed up yet. 

I think on a sub-conscious level people are trying so hard to keep warm while bundled up in a tight ball driving behind the wheel.  The effort to turn your head to check your blindspot, lift your arm to hit the turn signal, move your foot to plant the brake all seem like un-needed waste of energy and heat.  IT's like your inner brain is saying 'If I can get away with not moving, why make myself colder?'

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 09:42:06 am »
I can't say I noticed any of that this morning.  If anything, people seemed to be behaving themselves. 

Funny picture, though.  I thought of doing the same thing when the display on the Forester got down to -29!  (I love my heated seats!)
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 10:38:00 am »
I know I drive slower cause my gear box never fully warmed today even after 15 km and 30 minutes. Pushing it into 3rd sounded so harsh. Ick. 3rd's always been the "hard" gear on this car but man it really does not like the cold.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 11:11:00 am »
Yeah, I noticed that^^^  ;)
I don't drive any slower than usual but extra polite and careful in this whether since I don't want to get stuck waiting for a police cruiser.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 11:17:34 am »
Yes. I notice that when the temps get truly cooooold (say -20 and below) that pedestrians are just trying to haul a$$ to the nearest warmth and barely even look before they cross the street.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 12:38:50 pm »
Last week was particularly cold here in Winnipeg.  On Monday, the ambient temperature was -34C.  With the Windchill, that translated to -50C.

My truck always starts with ease because of the block heater (necessary equipment here in the prairies).  But what I have problems with at that temperature is the oil in my front differential.  When pulling out of my parking lot, my rear tires just spin on the packed snow, as the oil in the front diff is so cold that the front axle resists rotation.  Even when out on the street, I'm unable to accelerate past 20 km/h for a few blocks until the diff warms up a bit.

And before anyone asks, I'm running the manufacturer recommended oil viscocity. 

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 01:38:18 pm »
..we all know guys drive& think with their D*CKS.............so when they are so far retracted & shrivelled UP yer abdomen........we are LOST..................... :light: :stick: :shuffle:...........
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 02:46:57 pm »
Last week was particularly cold here in Winnipeg.  On Monday, the ambient temperature was -34C.  With the Windchill, that translated to -50C.

My truck always starts with ease because of the block heater (necessary equipment here in the prairies).  But what I have problems with at that temperature is the oil in my front differential.  When pulling out of my parking lot, my rear tires just spin on the packed snow, as the oil in the front diff is so cold that the front axle resists rotation.  Even when out on the street, I'm unable to accelerate past 20 km/h for a few blocks until the diff warms up a bit.

And before anyone asks, I'm running the manufacturer recommended oil viscocity. 

You need a synthetic in there. Reminds me of a Suburban I parked outside in Brandon, in January.  We were in a rush to start partying that we didn't even consider plugging the beast in.  At an even -40 the next morning the truck wouldn't crank. Trying to push that pig across the lot to an electrical plug was a chore. All four tires merely slid, they refused to rotate at that temp.

triuman

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 04:36:39 pm »

Nope, I'm guilty of doing the same things south of the border here in N. Dakota  :popo:

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 08:12:28 pm »

Nope, I'm guilty of doing the same things south of the border here in N. Dakota  :popo:
Where?  ;-)

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2011, 04:07:56 pm »
I wonder why we can't fit a supplemental ceramic heater into cars to get things warmed before the engine is warmed up.

1hp = 746watts so surely it wouldn't be a huge issue.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2011, 04:42:11 pm »
Because you only have  a certain amount of alternator power.  At 12V say it is a 500 watt heater then you are pulling 40 amps from the alternator which, on a cold morning will also  have to power the lights, a fan, rear window heat, heated seats, all the electronics  AND recharge the battery ready for your next start.   

I never understood why cars did not move to a 24v system like small aircraft. I guess it was just the awesome weight of the Big 3's inertia. M-B tried to go to a 40 v system in the '90s IIRC but gave up.   More volts less amps, thinner wire, less cost of copper, lighter cars.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2011, 05:47:57 pm »
Extreme heat too!!  I had a fever of 103.7 the other day and my cognitive abilities were compromised!!   :rofl2:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2011, 09:17:23 am »
 ::) that why ya were nekked making snow angels on my Google  Earth pics.......where's my C ..c...c...c...c...c...c...c.....O....o...o.o..o.o.o..oooooo..ccccccccc :'(.....Oh SNAP.....
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 03:25:46 pm by safristi »

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2011, 12:24:42 pm »

Could be the dreaded "Turkey Brain"   :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

triuman

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 10:51:37 am »

Where?  ;-)

What! We aren't part of Canada?! No one wants us here in the States  :'( :D